Wiki Posts
Search

multiple NYC-SYD r/t on *A or ???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G (OZ)
multiple NYC-SYD r/t on *A or ???

It looks like I may be coaching a bunch of executives in Sydney from January through March 2014 which means I will be doing at least a few r/ts from NYC to down under.

I'm *G so my first instinct is to look at my *A options, which seems to be either UA via LAX/SFO (22-25 hrs), or SQ via SIN (30 hrs).

So far I've mostly hopped NYC-Europe (typically CPH or LHR) and NYC-west coast, so I have relatively little experience with this type of serious long haul.

Thus, I'm looking for all kinds of options, tips and inspiration for how to make the most of these trips. Anything can be relevant, but here are at least some of my initial questions:

1) anyone who have an opinion on SQ vs UA in general or specifically for these routes? legroom, food, plane types etc.
2) for 22+ hour trips is it better to just have short connection (like one hour on UA in SFO/LAX), or does it make sense to fly via SIN with a few hours layover for a nice warm shower? Is there a convenient lounge for *G with shower?
3) should I forget about *A and go with another alliance? Maybe gold status is not very useful anyway... In that case, what should I go for then?
4) any ideas and suggestions on potential upgrades on miles? My miles are with Asiana but I should be able to spend them across *A, or no?

All suugestions are appreciated.

Thanks again my fellow flyers.

(and p.s. does this post feel like it has been posted in the right forum?)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What class of travel ?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You have other Star options, such as NZ LAX-AKL-SYD which is a good routing and maybe the most comfy airline in all classes. Going via ICN can be very cheap in J, there are some bargain J fares to/from ICN but you'd need separate tickets. Both UA and AA are options via ICN, esp. if you have some date flexibility (fares can vary by 50% by date). Personally I go CX JFK-HKG-SYD/MEL as this is best for jet lag (having to work upon hour of arrival at SYD).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi all

Thank you for this...

Class of travel is not decided yet, but First is out of the question.
It may be economy, but ideally I would at least find some way to get an upgrade to business maybe for the longest outbound leg. Looked at options with UA going NYC-LAX-SYD with the outbound LAX-SYD leg in business and the rest in economy.
Also looked at Y/B fares so that I could spend Asiana miles on upgrades, but that seems less than ideal at least from the prices I have found.

I will keep investigating... more ideas and suggestions are still appreciated...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Best route would be NYC-LAX-SYD or NYC-SFO-SYD on United.

However you will find better service on Air New Zealand (extra connection in AKL) or SQ (but longer transit time).

If business is an option I would be tempted by SQ personally. If time is more important and you can still fly business, UA is not a bad option. I like Air NZ but I would not go with an extra connection just to fly them.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Very good advice. Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
If travelling J, AC via YYZ/YVR wouldn't be bad. If cost is an issue Premium Economy may be a good option at which point any of NZ, QF and VA are good. It's worth noting that the NZ options mean you don't get into SYD until at least 1pm whereas the flights leaving LAX/SFO/YVR get in earlier.

In Y, avoid UA. QF probably becomes the best option on their A380s.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Best route would be NYC-LAX-SYD or NYC-SFO-SYD on United.

However you will find better service on Air New Zealand (extra connection in AKL) or SQ (but longer transit time).

If business is an option I would be tempted by SQ personally. If time is more important and you can still fly business, UA is not a bad option. I like Air NZ but I would not go with an extra connection just to fly them.
I heard that UA is going to down gauge (or up gauge depending on how you feel) from the 744s to the 772s.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I heard that UA is going to down gauge (or up gauge depending on how you feel) from the 744s to the 772s.
Happening April 1, which is outside of the OP's timeframe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.