Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beach 'Em? Beach 'Em?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Beach 'Em? Beach 'Em?

I dare say I was a little shocked, disillusioned, and appalled to learn that after years of pronouncing it Beau-Shawmp (as they do in London and at least relatively close to how they do in France), to recently learn that Beauchamp Rd is pronounced "beach 'em road."

Just a question for all you legitimate Aussies out there: Really? Really?

And don't get me started on Sans Souci. (Sansuzy).
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

Beech-em is correct.

http://slb-ltsu.hull.ac.uk/awe/index...mes_-_examples

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Beauchamp

http://www.debretts.com/forms-of-add...lingbroke.aspx

And so on and so forth.

My Mum went to boarding school in England and pronounces it beech-em. It's obviously been Anglicised at some point.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
If you say so.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stevenshev
If you say so.
I don't. The English language does. If Debrett's is wrong, all hope is lost!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:21 pm

Beech 'em would be the ordinary pronuncation of "Beauchamp" in England, and many people in Australia say it this way too.

The pronunciation of names is even less likely to correspond to their spelling than the pronuncation of general words in English, and it's not uncommon to find different families who prefer different pronunciations of the same name, which can add to the confusion.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
You might find this interview with Australian soccer player Michael Beauchamp interesting. In the last paragraph he discusses pronunciations of his surname.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Yes, it's pronounced "beach-em". Australian English is generally closer to British rather than US in both spelling and pronunciation (despite the best efforts of Sesame Street; don't get me started on "zee" vs the correct "zed")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.