Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian electrical sockets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
If you all want to be really pedantic, everything should be rated to 240v, but supply has always been 220v nominal, with quite wide variation between 210-240v. 230v and 10A is simply the target.
Not so. Until 2000, Australia was officially 240 volts, as per AS2926-1987. In 2000 this was changed to 230 volts nominal +10%/-6% in AS60038-2000
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, voltage used to be a big deal overseas. I remember a long time ago carrying around the current converters. But these days most electronics that you're likely to be travelling with do the conversion themselves. So it's mostly a plug problem for me.
OK, just thought I'd check.

How pedantic did people used to be overseas? It's got totally out of control nowadays, IMHO
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
OK, just thought I'd check.

How pedantic did people used to be overseas? It's got totally out of control nowadays, IMHO
Personally I blame the interwebs, you can prove anything you want to no matter how wrong you are.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Personally I blame the interwebs, you can prove anything you want to no matter how wrong you are.
And yet the Republicans haven't said thank you to Gore even once.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Didn't even realize it was technically different - just use my Aussie plugs. And, yes, namely China.
A lot of the sockets there fit more than one type of plug? But yeah, the Australian ones work there.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
A lot of the sockets there fit more than one type of plug? But yeah, the Australian ones work there.
China developed from a hybrid, mainly US/Jp, OZ/NZ and UK type sockets.

Many newer China constructions use multi sockets which can take the Eu, UA/JP and OZ/NA plugs (not unlike found with in seat power sockets on aircraft).

Best bet is one of the multi style adaptors with retractable pins.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:02 am

usually will bring extension wire with 4-way plugs so that just need 1 travel adapter and able to connect 4 other plugs.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc777
usually will bring extension wire with 4-way plugs so that just need 1 travel adapter and able to connect 4 other plugs.
Just make sure that your power board is rates to 240V - most of them available in 110V countries aren't!

Presuming you're not intending to plug anything with a high current draw into it, then it may not matter - but if it's got any form of fuse/switch/USB adapter/circuit breaker/etc in it, then plugging it into 240V might result in nothing other than smoke.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by docbert
Just make sure that your power board is rates to 240V - most of them available in 110V countries aren't!

Presuming you're not intending to plug anything with a high current draw into it, then it may not matter - but if it's got any form of fuse/switch/USB adapter/circuit breaker/etc in it, then plugging it into 240V might result in nothing other than smoke.
Agreed... don't bring anything with a surge protector built-in. I had a very small 3-way adapter I thought would be perfect for travel, but it smoked and popped the circuit breaker when I plugged it into 220/240V. I believe it was
because it had a surge protector installed (and it was really fun finding the electrical breakers in the short-term apartment I was renting!)

It's a bit nicer to just have a bespoke adapter for the country you are visiting that has two or three plugs on it. I like this style, because you can plug in your laptop in the front and your USB/phone charger into the side:

http://www.amazon.com/QUALITY-TRAVEL...+adapter+italy
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:59 pm

If you are after a power strip, the Monster ones are a great option, and (unlike most Monster stuff!) reasonably priced.

eg, the OTG300 USB or the HP OTG300 USB (Both the same thing, only one has HP branding. Sometimes one is the cheaper, sometimes it the other).

Despite it not being clearly mentioned, Monster has confirmed that these are all 100-240 Volt capable, and numerous people have confirmed that (see the Amazon reviews)
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:50 am

Thanks for your advice. So far it had been working well.
Originally Posted by docbert

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: VAG
I moved from the US to Australia, bringing a bunch of electronics with me, and simply bought the cheapest US-socket power strips (sans surge protector) that I could. Then I got an adaptor for each and plugged them into the wall. No problems with the 240V.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.