Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on Stopovers for car trip from Perth City to Walpole/Denmark

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions on Stopovers for car trip from Perth City to Walpole/Denmark

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:50 pm
cty
Original Poster

Smile Suggestions on Stopovers for car trip from Perth City to Walpole/Denmark

Hi, I understand it will be a full 5 to 6 hours car drive from perth city to Walpole/Denmark. I have 2 young kids coming along, and will need some stopovers to break the monotone of the drive. I would appreciate recommendations on stopovers which allows the kids to run around and expend some energy. Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:03 am
cty
Original Poster

Smile

Hi, pardon for the repost of the query. I am wondering if anybody could advise me on places that would be good for stopover to pick up a quick bite and at the same time kids will have some place to run around and expend some energy. I appreciate any replies. Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:27 am

Perhaps the mods can gather up all the OP's questions and put them in one thread.
Cty there's plenty of places between Perth and Walpole to stop. It's impossible to make a recommendation as we don't know the route you'll be taking but if you take Albany Hwy then Kojonup is probably a good place to stop. If you take the South Western Hwy you can stop at Bunbury. Bunbury Forum is just off the big roundabout. Either way there'll be plenty of places for you to get a coffee and the kids to run around.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:39 am
cty
Original Poster

Smile

Hi valve bouncer, thank you for your reply. Yes, I saw bunbury on the map while doing my research. Didn't see kojonup, thanks. I'll check it out.

Would you happen to know if we should base ourselves in Albany, Denmark or Walpole to see the sights around that region? Easy access to dining will be good. Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:07 am

The main, easiest and fastest way to get to Albany from Perth is to take the aforementioned Albany Highway (State Hwy #30) that starts in Perth and goes to Albany. Kojonup is about 3 hours from Perth. Bear in mind I have not travelled the Albany Hwy in a number of years so time estimates are only that, estimates.

Your other option and how I would go is to take National Hwy 1 south (Kwinana Fwy-->Forrest Hwy--> Old Coast Road) to Bunbury. From there you have a few ways to go. I would take State Route 10 towards Busselton (Bussel Hwy) then State Route 104 to Nannup (Vasse Hwy). State Route 104 then again becomes State Route 10 and continue on through Pemberton to just south of Manjimup where you rejoin National Hwy 1 which continues through to Walpole, Denmark and then Albany. This route takes you through some of the most beautiful areas in Western Australia and in my admittedly biased view, some of the most beautiful areas anywhere in the world.

Please note the above route is longer, slower and, at night, more dangerous because of numerous kangaroos.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I've requested all the threads be merged.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:52 am
cty
Original Poster

Smile

Hi valve bouncer, thank you so much for your detailed driving directions given. I appreciate your time taken to write down the route. We will take the more direct Perth to Albany highway on our way down, then the more scenic route when we travel back up to Perth, as we will stopover and stay a few days in Margaret river.

Hi bensyd, thank you for putting in request to merge the threads, it will help in the research about Perth and surrounds. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.