Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know anything about the new AKL Airport hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF, Krisworld, Virgin, Emirates, Starwood, AClub, Hilton
Does anyone know anything about the new AKL Airport hotel?

I passed through AKL Airport a few weeks ago and saw that the new airport hotel had really progressed - looked almost complete - but I couldn't see the hotel name...does anyone have any idea when it will open and what it will be branded as? I will have to do some transiting at AKL over the next year and my past recollection of AKL airport hotels was pretty dire. Thanks, PT
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:23 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
pttraveller, welcome to FlyerTalk! Let's see if the readers of the Travel->Australia, New Zealand forum can help. I'll move the thread to that forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It looks like it's going to be a Novotel. Accor Hotels has it on their website opening in June 2011.

Looks pretty nice - would have been convenient when I had to stay by the airport last year.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Doesn't AKL now have a capsule hotel open airside? I think it's called Snoozecube, though this is more of a lounge substitute than hotel room.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 3:52 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Perhaps this may be of use to you OP?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1106677
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Doesn't AKL now have a capsule hotel open airside? I think it's called Snoozecube, though this is more of a lounge substitute than hotel room.
http://www.snoozecube.com

$15USD per hour seems rather expensive, didn't see any mention of showers either.
Old May 1, 2011, 8:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pttraveller
I passed through AKL Airport a few weeks ago and saw that the new airport hotel had really progressed - looked almost complete - but I couldn't see the hotel name...does anyone have any idea when it will open and what it will be branded as? I will have to do some transiting at AKL over the next year and my past recollection of AKL airport hotels was pretty dire. Thanks, PT
Actually there are some decent hotel choices in the airport vicinity. As one can tell by the dreadful architecture, this is going to be an Accor hotel. And the only real on airport hotel option available when they open. This will heat up competition quite a bit as many airport hotels opened or will open in the vicinity.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Best Day Room at AKL?

Any updates? I am flying to PER via AKL and have an 8 hour and 10 hour layover where I would like to get some sleep in a day room.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Stayed there last night.

A 40 Metre walk from International Terminal arrivals.

Smallish rooms, but comfortable. Mix of wood panels and glass. Better than many airport Hotels I have stayed at. But then it is new. Certainly convenient.

As an A|Club Gold I was given a top level room. Buttins in the elevators for the Top two floors are labelled 'premium' or something. Came with Bathrobes and Slippers.

I merely slept there so can provide little further comment.

At the moment rates are quite low (although be aware the rugvby World Cup.)

Last week I was able make some more bookings there for August on 50% off Sale (advance purchase) from $90 NZD. Normal rates appear to be from NZD160.

Most Day Rates appear to be priced at NZD135 (~USD82) but I have seen as cheap as NZD104.50; in after 6am, out before 6pm.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 25, 2011 at 1:19 am
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Thanks, Serfty. Took a day room there yesterday. Increadible quiet! Got several hours sleep between flights. Rooms are beautifully done, in my opinion. Wonderful views of airport, but with double panes in glass you hear nothing. Highly recommended. Room service food was also surprisingly good.

Update: stayed there again on the inbound leg back to the US. Even more impressed this time. You walk 40 steps from the terminal to the check-in, and before you know it you are in a very quiet and clean room catching up on some much needed sleep. Turned my US-AUS trip into an entirely different experience.

Last edited by economyplusfan; Jul 24, 2011 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am pretty sure we stayed at Bella Vista (took me a while to find it as I think it was f/k/a Ventura) which was quite satisfactory for the price. There is no restaurant on premises, but it's a short walk to the local pub restaurant which has pretty decent food. It is a 20m walk up the highway to the 24-hour grocery superstore should you require provisions (or in our case, diapers for a TATL flight ) The only issue was that the shuttle vehicle can fill up, so you may end up waiting a little while for airport pickup. Very quiet. The pool is great if you are travelling with children.

I have to say, for the same price I would certainly stay at the new airport hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.