Wiki Posts
Search

Question about E-First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Question about E-First

I have a flight upcoming on NW STC-MSP-DCA. The fare class is being booked into L r/t. Dep on oct 19th, returning on the 21st. I know its the National Capital, but in the F fareclass buckets on NW1704 to DCA on 19 oct and on NW1711 on the 21st back to MSP are all 9'ed across the board. Both flights are on A319. All i am looking at is these two flights as i KNOW STC-MSP is Saab only, since i've flown out of STC before. What are the chances at an L fare bucket of being offered and E-First Upgrade. I dont have status on DL/NW, however i did have status on KE which just recently expired, however, lowest level, which even then doesnt allow me an OP-UP UG. I have most of mile accrued miles on KE.

I'm just curious what the chances are on E-first being offered at OLCI? Whatever the price is thats being offered, I won't mind since my airfare is being paid by the Conference that I am attending, fyi I am Also attending a Congressional Hearing on Foster Care reform, since I am a former foster care young adult, who's part of the "2% club," aka. only 2% of the national youth who aged out of the system who got their BA. (well almost.. may 2010.) Will be quite the experience. All expenses paid to come to DC and sit at ^ congress plus a $300 stipend. I'm being paid to travel. They even pay for my transportation to STC (cab) and to the hotel in DC from DCA (r/t) plus meals enroute. I am grateful to have whats available to me. This is why I feel it is time to start getting involved with the system to help push for change. Without Orphan Foundation of America or National Foster Care Coalition, I don't think it would have been possible for me to attend University.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:24 am
Original Poster

:BUMP!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
What's E-first?

If you're asking what's your chance of a flyer on Northwest, with no status, being offered a first class upgrade just by saying you were once an orphan etc. ... I'd say zero.

On NW, you get upgrades to domestic first class either by paying for them or by having Elite status, with Elites being ugpraded in order, Plats before Golds before Silvers and so on.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound harsh. But I'm from New Orleans. Everybody has a sad story. Everybody. You still have to get upgrades to first class by either paying for them or by earning status. Were it otherwise, no one would ride in coach.

If the folks are willing to pay for your ticket to go first class, I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't go ahead and buy/upgrade the first class ticket now. Your post confuses me. They're willing to pay but you're not willing to have the airline actually get the $$$ if you can avoid it? Why do you care if it isn't your money -- and you do make such a point of saying it isn't your money?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by peachfront
What's E-first?

If you're asking what's your chance of a flyer on Northwest, with no status, being offered a first class upgrade just by saying you were once an orphan etc. ... I'd say zero.
Think the OP is asking about a paid upgrade offered at the kiosk. It's exceedingly rare - it would mean that even with every single NW/Delta elite on the plane being upgraded, there were still seats open. You can always ask if it's available, but generally first class goes out full of elites. My guess is they'd charge you something like $150-$200, which really isn't worth it. I know it's a bit of a thrill to sit up front, but snag an exit row or bulkhead and you're 90% of the way there. My vote, even if you're offered the paid upgrade, is to spend that money on something more interesting in DC.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
I have a flight upcoming on NW STC-MSP-DCA. [blahblahblah] Dep on oct 19th, returning on the 21st.[blahblahblah]

I'm just curious what the chances are on E-first being offered at OLCI?[blahblahblah]
Zero.

MSP-DCA is one of the toughest upgrades in the NW system, where there will most likely be plats sitting in the back, especially on Monday. The flights are showing P9F9 right now because its 1 month out... check at 6 days pre departure, 4 days pre departure, 2 days pre departure and finally day of and you'll probably see it say P3F3 or less after the plat window (6 days). They (fortunately) only sell E-first upgrades if all elites have already been upgraded and there are R seats open during check-in.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Zero.

MSP-DCA is one of the toughest upgrades in the NW system, where there will most likely be plats sitting in the back, especially on Monday. The flights are showing P9F9 right now because its 1 month out... check at 6 days pre departure, 4 days pre departure, 2 days pre departure and finally day of and you'll probably see it say P3F3 or less after the plat window (6 days). They (fortunately) only sell E-first upgrades if all elites have already been upgraded and there are R seats open during check-in.
+1. I was 14th on the WL as a PE on an H fare...
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

DID you even READ what i wrote. E-first are PAID upgrades.

What's E-first?

On NW, you get upgrades to domestic first class either by paying for them or by having Elite status, with Elites being ugpraded in order, Plats before Golds before Silvers and so on.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound harsh. But I'm from New Orleans. Everybody has a sad story. Everybody. You still have to get upgrades to first class by either paying for them or by earning status. Were it otherwise, no one would ride in coach.

If the folks are willing to pay for your ticket to go first class, I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't go ahead and buy/upgrade the first class ticket now. Your post confuses me. They're willing to pay but you're not willing to have the airline actually get the $$$ if you can avoid it? Why do you care if it isn't your money -- and you do make such a point of saying it isn't your money?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Please dont attack me.

this kind of mentality is what screws up our country man. I'm grateful enough to have someone in my life doing something like this. I don't have a family ok dude? I'm grateful they are doing all this that they are doing for me. I am also speaking in front of congress by the way, and the ticket cost already $430, plus theres lots of other things they are doing for me while im there. I'm estimating that they are spending close to $1000 on me to get me come to Washington to speak with congress members about my experiences in foster care and what needs to be changed with it. So no, I dont want to say to them, give me a first class ticket. that is wrong and greedy. They are also covering for the hotel,per diem, and ground transportation costs plus being paid $250 to attend.

I am just looking for OLCI the possibility on E-first paid upgrade:

http://www.nwa.com/services/electrav/efirst.shtml

Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:18 pm

As multiple people (including the one you just quoted) have said, you have basically no chance.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Arent some F seats left open until check-in? Every time I have been waitlisted for an upgrade; there are (almost) always 1-6 seats not filled. Granted, I know that could just be people without seat assignments, but I thought those were left there for last minute F purchases and kiosk (e-first) upgrades? (Again, I could be completely wrong here.)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by Janus
Arent some F seats left open until check-in? Every time I have been waitlisted for an upgrade; there are (almost) always 1-6 seats not filled. Granted, I know that could just be people without seat assignments, but I thought those were left there for last minute F purchases and kiosk (e-first) upgrades? (Again, I could be completely wrong here.)

Those seats go to elites first.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
you'll probably see it say P3F3 or less after the plat window (6 days). They (fortunately) only sell E-first upgrades if all elites have already been upgraded and there are R seats open during check-in.
Originally Posted by Janus
Arent some F seats left open until check-in?
If there are elites on the waitlist I have never seen a kiosk upgrade offered. Usually only if F is wide open and elites have already all been upgraded (happens semi-frequently on my Saturday AM SFO runs).

Delta, on the other hand, has been known to try to hawk their segment upgrades at the gate while their elites are sitting there with Y boarding passes. Weak.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:53 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will not be offered a E-First (paid) upgrade as all of the first class seats will haven been allocated to Elites by the time you check-in.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

right now NW1704 is showing P-8 F-7

Originally Posted by DTownBrian
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will not be offered a E-First (paid) upgrade as all of the first class seats will haven been allocated to Elites by the time you check-in.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Actually this is not the case.. www.orphan.org and www.casey.org and www.fostercarealumni.org

reference to deleted post

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Oct 5, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.