Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about E-First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
People like you are the reason why the system is so screwed up.. please take a look at this for some food for thought

http://fostercarealumni.org/about_us..._expertise.htm

http://fostercarealumni.org/resource...statistics.htm

No that you'll look at it anyways.. But EXCUSE me for not having a better position than you. I don't go around spending $1000+ a week!

College isnt CHEAP and I HAVE ONLY MYSELF OK!!! People like you make me loose faith in this country.

Originally Posted by dblevitan
You're flying on Oct. 19. EUAs don't start until 5 days before the flight. As other have said, there's essentially no chance of an upgrade.

Let me give you some things to think about since I don't think you're quite understand why everyone is ignoring you here. You think you're important because someone else (in this case the US Gov't) is paying to fly you to DC. To you, $1000 is a lot of money. The truth of the matter though is that it's not. Plenty of people on this board spend that much money (if not more) per week, every week of the year.

As others have suggested, even if you are (miraculously) offered the upgrade, there's no point to it. I never sat up front until less than a year ago, and, frankly, it's a big disappointment (even if my first upgrade was on a CO transcon which is much nicer than anything on NW/DL). If someone offered it to me for $20, I'd take it. But $200? No way. As someone else said, an exit row is 90% of first class and a lot cheaper (if not completely free). Take the money you save on E-First and spend it on stuff in DC. You'll be a lot happier.

Or if you really are intent on getting rid of that $200, don't give it to the airline, give it to the people who helped you get a good start in life.
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
Actually this is not the case.. www.orphan.org and www.casey.org
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA gold
Thank you for personally attacking me when you have no clue what I do or who I am. I never said I travel that much (although I've met people who have). I'm not entirely sure what I did to get my message deleted (mods?), but it was not meant as an attack on you.

If you notice in my sidebar, I'm only a silver. I barely qualify for that. I've been reimbursed no more than a couple thousand in my life for travel. I'm not interested in traveling every week. But I have met people who do that (ATL-LAX commute, NYC-CLT commute, etc...).

My post was merely an interpretation that you were not used to being paid for travel and were taking it too seriously when everyone was telling you it was no big deal. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I remember my first time a few years ago.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
right now NW1704 is showing P-8 F-7
Of course it is showing P8F7, it is still 2 weeks out...

Plats get upgraded @ 5 days before
Golds @ 3
Silvers day before

There will be no e-first upgrades, quit asking.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
deleted

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Of course it is showing P8F7, it is still 2 weeks out...

Plats get upgraded @ 5 days before
Golds @ 3
Silvers day before

There will be no e-first upgrades, quit asking.

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Oct 16, 2009 at 12:27 am
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:04 pm

Followup?

Based upon everyone's responses and now that the OP flights have been completed, in curious to hear how it turned out...
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Wow.

I came here to read of e-first. Instead I find somebody busy telling us his life story. I have no opinion of the OP at all, but if everybody came here with their "story", this board would be rather useless.

Come on dude. Everybody has a story. And the airlines do not care, nor does it have anything to do with the question. Nothing. Zero.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DTownBrian
Based upon everyone's responses and now that the OP flights have been completed, in curious to hear how it turned out...
+1

How was your trip?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Kettle
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
My guess is they'd charge you something like $150-$200, which really isn't worth it. I know it's a bit of a thrill to sit up front, but snag an exit row or bulkhead and you're 90% of the way there. My vote, even if you're offered the paid upgrade, is to spend that money on something more interesting in DC.
The one time I was offered an e-first, it was $85 one way.

Also interested to see how the trip went
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
Those seats go to elites first.
Newish to the NW board, but source? When, exactly, do these seats go to elites? I mean, how many hours before boarding do these go to elites first? Because I would think that any profit-chasing transport co. would purposefully leave open a number of revenue seats exactly for the reason that Janus suggests - last minute F purchases. And I believe you when you say that they give them to elites first, but I would like to understand the specifics, viz. - at what point does this airline actually say to a customer willing to pay for a first class ticket "Nope, sorry, your money is no good here" or "Nope, you're too late to pay $2,000 for a ticket to go 300 miles, we have status pax who we upgraded for free already?"

Quick data point, I was just checking in online for a NW flight tomorrow DCA-MEM and was offered an upgrade to first class for $175, no current premium status for me on DL (yet).

Will
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
When, exactly, do these seats go to elites? I mean, how many hours before boarding do these go to elites first?
Well, EUAs start at 5 days out for Plats. Logistically speaking, there is a point when you can't just walk up to a counter and buy a ticket. Certainly 15 minutes prior to departure. Potentially earlier (check-in closes 30 minutes prior, so that's probably the deadline). If the seats are not released for EUAs, then elites will get upgraded at the gate, potentially even when they've already boarded.

But the concept is that while paid F tickets may be available rather late, EUAs should take precedence over paid upgrades for non-elite fliers.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by dblevitan
Well, EUAs start at 5 days out for Plats. Logistically speaking, there is a point when you can't just walk up to a counter and buy a ticket. Certainly 15 minutes prior to departure. Potentially earlier (check-in closes 30 minutes prior, so that's probably the deadline). If the seats are not released for EUAs, then elites will get upgraded at the gate, potentially even when they've already boarded.

But the concept is that while paid F tickets may be available rather late, EUAs should take precedence over paid upgrades for non-elite fliers.
Okay, fair enough, dblevitan, what you say makes perfect sense, and thanks for the clarification. The statement that "Those seats go to elites first" was just so broad as to be, well, not true without some qualification around it (not to cast aspersions against anyone, seriously).

Will

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.