Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP to lose NRT route???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by motytrah
Was talking to a friend of the family who's a FA and does a lot of MSP-NRT. They indicated that they have been advised to make plans to base out of ATL or DTW late 2010 - early 2011.
Certain aircraft types are based at certain locations.

Pilots are based in locations where "their" aircraft type is based.

Flight attendants are based all over without regard to any specific type of aircraft (witness BOS, LAX, etc. bases for FAs. -- no aircraft are "based" there).

I think this is just a nasty rumor without much factual basis. Aside from all that, does DL really know the economy more than 12 months out to have already decided to cancel this route? Could we see frequency or equipment shifts? Sure. But I think it's way too far out to start planning on this "rumor".
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:50 am

The title of this thread is extremely misleading. Moderator - can you put a ? at the end of the title?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Information from flight attendants regarding long-term company plans needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Occasionally, however, they are right. For example, in 2006 we were told by an FA on NRT-DTW that they would be getting rid of WorldPerks.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by RobertH
The title of this thread is extremely misleading. Moderator - can you put a ? at the end of the title?
mod., thanks for correcting the misspell in the title. it was bugging the heck out of me for the first couple of days when it appeared.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't see MSP being "STLd" given the much larger metropolitan area of MSP.
The 2000 census tab for the MSA of Minneapolis-St. Paul is about 2,900,000 with an estimate of 3,200,000 for year 2008.

The 2000 census tab for the MSA of St. Louis is about 2,700,000 with an estimate of 2,800,000 for 2008.

Not much difference in size.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
The 2000 census tab for the MSA of Minneapolis-St. Paul is about 2,900,000 with an estimate of 3,200,000 for year 2008.

The 2000 census tab for the MSA of St. Louis is about 2,700,000 with an estimate of 2,800,000 for 2008.

Not much difference in size.
size of the population doesn't give you a snap shot of the regional economy which probably is a better indicator for the feasibility of businesses such as airlines.

St. Louis has 8 firms in the 2009 Fortune 500 list and the Twin Cities 18. Every annual list of Inc. 500/5000 fastest growing private companies contain, by about 3:2, more Twin Cities metro area firms than those in St. Louis metro area.

Comparison of the Cities and St. Louis metro region isn't apple to apple in a hub related debate.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Knowing Delta, they'll take all the Northwest planes and send them to Atlanta.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott PP, UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Life Gold, WN A-List
That's an overly simplistic characterization of the STL situation, IMO.
Simpler is better...ask any ex-TW FFer and you will get the same characterization.

AA bought TWA's assets in early 2001 and maintained nearly all of TWA's network until November, 2003, when AA downsized the hub in the face of staggering losses. That was just months after AA avoided filing for bankruptcy. Nevertheless, AA remains a very large presence at STL compared to any other legacy airline.
AA started cutting back quickly after the purchase; routes/network are one thing, service cutbacks and 'adjustments' are another.

Southwest's presence at STL is about exactly what it was in 2003 when AA pruned the STL hub. WN's expansion at STL occurred prior to 2001 when AA bought TWA.
That is incorrect. As cited on another thread...

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/s...29/story1.html

WN continues to expand and by the end of 2009 or early/mid 2010, should eclipse AA as the dominant carrier.

I don't see MSP being "STLd" given the much larger metropolitan area of MSP. The hubs that have been de-hubbed have tended to be much smaller metros, like PIT, IND, BNA, RDU and DAY (as well as STL). SJC (de-hubbed by AA twice) is much larger but is essentially the Bay area's ONT - it will never rival SFO (like ONT will never rival LAX). MSP is the only big airport in the entire region - and it will remain an important hub and international gateway, IMO.
You have a right to your opinion. In my opinion, MSP is on the same path that STL was, nearly 10 years ago. The signs are all there.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drsan
AA started cutting back quickly after the purchase; routes/network are one thing, service cutbacks and 'adjustments' are another.
That's just false. Unless, of course, you count AA's 20% systemwide schedule reduction implemented on September 14, 2001 that continued until the schedules were largely restored in 2002.

AA's purchase of TWA's assets closed in April, 2001 and AA made no substantial changes to TWA's STL operation until the days following September 11, 2001, when it chopped the schedules in every AA city. Once the AA systemwide schedules were restored in 2002, AA maintained the STL schedule at almost the same level as existed in early 2001. AA did retire the DC-9s following September 11, 2001 and during the depths of its financial crisis in 2002 unloaded the replacement 717s. Nevertheless, the entire AA system shared in the reductions that those fleet reductions caused.

WN continues to expand and by the end of 2009 or early/mid 2010, should eclipse AA as the dominant carrier.
No, it's not incorrect. WN's STL operation was built up during the period prior to AA's purchase in 2001. Following the 2003 schedule reductions, WN added a few flights, including an additional nonstop to LAX (which was subsequently removed). WN is about the same size at STL as it was in April, 2001 and the article does not contradict that fact:

American has been cutting back on service, particularly connector flights, and canceled nonstop service to 81 markets since 2002, Hrabko said. In 2008, American had 37 percent of total passenger traffic at Lambert, down from 55 percent in 1999, he said.

Southwest, meanwhile, has added flights at Lambert, where it had 33 percent of total passenger traffic in 2008, up from 22 percent in 1999.
AA didn't announce the TWA purchase until early January, 2001, so 1999 size comparisons are irrelevant. Additionally, with AA's cutbacks in late 2003 (and those that have followed that pullback), STL's passenger counts have fallen, so of course WN's market share has increased.

No doubt WN will eventually become the dominant carrier at STL, much like at BWI, MDW, LAS, BUR, OAK and SJC.

You have a right to your opinion. In my opinion, MSP is on the same path that STL was, nearly 10 years ago. The signs are all there.
You may very well be right that MSP will suffer the same fate as STL. After all, TWA wasn't making any money with its massive hub operation at STL for several reasons. Likewise, the fortress hub at MSP didn't create enough profits to keep NW out of bankruptcy in 2005 (nor did it prevent the prior financial problems suffered by NW in the early 1990s). So perhaps MSP will be downsized so traffic more closely matches O&D. STLd? I doubt it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
FWAAA is right on STL. I know that many ex-TWA and STLers are very upset, but the cutbacks were primarily due to the effects of 9/11 and the economic downturn unrelated to 9/11. Remember that the stock market started downward well before 9/11.

If 9/11 and the economic downturn had not happened, I believe that STL would still be an AA hub (albeit slightly smaller than TW's operation) and most of the TW employees would still be employed. AA correctly envisioned STL as a relief valve between ORD and DFW. AA just didn't envision 9/11 and the economic downturn (otherwise they would NEVER have purchased TW).
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
You may very well be right that MSP will suffer the same fate as STL. After all, TWA wasn't making any money with its massive hub operation at STL for several reasons. Likewise, the fortress hub at MSP didn't create enough profits to keep NW out of bankruptcy in 2005 (nor did it prevent the prior financial problems suffered by NW in the early 1990s). So perhaps MSP will be downsized so traffic more closely matches O&D. STLd? I doubt it.
I would also note that if this rumor is true, that it is not inconsistent with NW's vision for MSP before the merger. MSP was never a major international hub. At the end of 2007, it was only the 18th busiest gateway in the US and it has never served even 3m international pax. Now, I recognize losing NRT would be visible, given that it is one of only 3-1/2 long-haul destinations that pre-merger NW served from MSP, but that they served so few destinations should tell you something about NW's assessment of its viability as a true international hub.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by formeraa
FWAAA is right on STL. I know that many ex-TWA and STLers are very upset, but...
We're still just a little bent out of shape over losing nonstop 747 service to NYC! What, you can't make money with a 1/4 full 747 on a 900 mile route? Those were the days though!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:36 pm

so MSP loses NRT (ok..a big if).. it's gaining STL on WN in 2010! Somewhat ironic that there's this big MSP-STL debate going on here.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:08 pm

Simpler is better...ask any ex-TW FFer and you will get the same characterization.

What signs?

MSP was a fortress hub and according to DOT data it was Northwest's most profitable hub. MSP dose not have the facilities to be a major hub for international flights. Two caracoules in international arrivals? It makes a better domestic hub.

I think if MSP were to EVER loose NRT and LHR, you would see the state offering some subsides to other airlines to start the routes.

MSP will contiunue to be a viable hub for Delta. Most of the cuts we have seen in the new system have been at CVG. There are also a lot of Fourtune 500 companies there and small businesses.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:54 pm
azj

Not to mention, MSP was never seen as the major international gateway. That title was bestowed upon DTW. MSP was a prime domestic fortress hub with key links to international destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.