FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   MSP to lose NRT route??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/989966-msp-lose-nrt-route.html)

motytrah Aug 30, 2009 6:41 am

MSP to lose NRT route???

Was talking to a friend of the family who's a FA and does a lot of MSP-NRT. They indicated that they have been advised to make plans to base out of ATL or DTW late 2010 - early 2011.

azj Aug 30, 2009 6:48 am

I'll believe it when I see it. MSP-NRT isn't the only route that is staffed by the MSP base. Sounds like something taken out of context or somebody being waaaaay melodramatic about the merger.

motytrah Aug 30, 2009 7:02 am

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12303161)
I'll believe it when I see it. MSP-NRT isn't the only route that is staffed by the MSP base. Sounds like something taken out of context or somebody being waaaaay melodramatic about the merger.

I didn't take it to say the base is closing or anything. MSP will still have hundreds of flights. I took it mean that if she wanted to keep flying to NRT she'd have to move or commute. I'm hoping it ends up not being correct.

hnewman Aug 30, 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 12303152)
Was talking to a friend of the family who's a FA and does a lot of MSP-NRT. They indicated that they have been advised to make plans to base out of ATL or DTW late 2010 - early 2011.

If DL starts removing the domestic direct flights to cities I travel to I will be gone. This is a big loss for MSP. There are a number of major companies in the area to regularly fly that route such as 3M, Metronics and others. The flights are always packed.

NWA_5479 Aug 30, 2009 8:16 am

This flight has always been quite full when I have been on it, in both WBC and coach. I have been told by a manager at NW that it has always been consistently one of the most profitable flights from MSP.

hnewman Aug 30, 2009 8:34 am

Originally Posted by NWA_5479 (Post 12303363)
This flight has always been quite full when I have been on it, in both WBC and coach. I have been told by a manager at NW that it has always been consistently one of the most profitable flights from MSP.

Another one of DL brilliant moves. :rolleyes:

azj Aug 30, 2009 8:56 am

Motyrah -

I guess I misinterpreted your post. Ok... perhaps what will happen some day is a re-gaging of the route. In other words... take the 744 off and replace it with a 777. Until SOC (single operating certificate) that would indeed involve using pre merger DL FAs on the route. However, with SOC expected by the end of the year and a resolution to the AFA issue, it is likely that nothing but a change of a/c will occur.

Let's not let one interpretation of a comment be the cause for threats to leave NWA/DL and to make broad assumptions with regard to the network! This is DL after all... what they do this hour is likely to change by the end of the day.:D

hnewman Aug 30, 2009 9:31 am

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12303501)
what they do this hour is likely to change by the end of the day.:D

Thanks for the laugh. Oh so true. ^

thezipper Aug 30, 2009 9:43 am

True... but when you see them putting all their eggs in one basket (LGA/JFK) to be the biggest there, one does have to wonder...

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12303501)
Let's not let one interpretation of a comment be the cause for threats to leave NWA/DL and to make broad assumptions with regard to the network! This is DL after all... what they do this hour is likely to change by the end of the day.:D

mnredfox Aug 30, 2009 10:20 am

redtailshark said it all in another thread, the beancounters care about the SE US (ATL).

azj Aug 30, 2009 10:23 am

I wouldn't read too much into the activities in NYC. The build-up of LGA doesn't mean they're going to ignore the rest of the network. There are plenty of planes and people to go around without killing a hub to make LGA happen.

drsan Aug 31, 2009 6:27 am

Originally Posted by azj (Post 12303793)
I wouldn't read too much into the activities in NYC. The build-up of LGA doesn't mean they're going to ignore the rest of the network. There are plenty of planes and people to go around without killing a hub to make LGA happen.

You are correct, but this is DL. AA did the same thing to STL; there were certainly plenty of planes and people to go around when they acquired TW. AA, however, did indeed kill a hub, mostly to make consolidation at ORD and DFW happen.

The current set of behaviors and decisions by DL management is eerily similar.

MSPers, be prepared to be STL-ized over the next few years. Good luck, you will need it. Maybe you will get lucky and WN will expand greatly at MSP just as they have at STL over the years to fill the domestic void.

worldexpress Aug 31, 2009 8:45 am

it'll be a sad day when the cities lose the only non-stop to asia. i'll no longer be a nw/dl elite. if i have to make a connection, why would i pay delta for their inferior product when the choices abound.

wait.. i'll still be a lifetime silver. darn.

Blank Sheet Aug 31, 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by azj
I wouldn't read too much into the activities in NYC. There are plenty of planes and people to go around without killing a hub......

Not to divert the thread but just look at the shift of Comair from CVG to NYC.

Back on point, if DL can not take advantage of the Asia routes in a consistent manner then long term survival is in question.

FWAAA Aug 31, 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by drsan (Post 12306774)
You are correct, but this is DL. AA did the same thing to STL; there were certainly plenty of planes and people to go around when they acquired TW. AA, however, did indeed kill a hub, mostly to make consolidation at ORD and DFW happen.

That's an overly simplistic characterization of the STL situation, IMO.

AA bought TWA's assets in early 2001 and maintained nearly all of TWA's network until November, 2003, when AA downsized the hub in the face of staggering losses. That was just months after AA avoided filing for bankruptcy. Nevertheless, AA remains a very large presence at STL compared to any other legacy airline.

Originally Posted by drsan (Post 12306774)
MSPers, be prepared to be STL-ized over the next few years. Good luck, you will need it. Maybe you will get lucky and WN will expand greatly at MSP just as they have at STL over the years to fill the domestic void.

Southwest's presence at STL is about exactly what it was in 2003 when AA pruned the STL hub. WN's expansion at STL occurred prior to 2001 when AA bought TWA.

I don't see MSP being "STLd" given the much larger metropolitan area of MSP. The hubs that have been de-hubbed have tended to be much smaller metros, like PIT, IND, BNA, RDU and DAY (as well as STL). SJC (de-hubbed by AA twice) is much larger but is essentially the Bay area's ONT - it will never rival SFO (like ONT will never rival LAX). MSP is the only big airport in the entire region - and it will remain an important hub and international gateway, IMO.