Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
More on A330 pitot tubes

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538122,00.html
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Fox News? I'm shocked that the article didn't blame Obama's stimulus bill or Obamacare! Oh, it was an AP story. That explains it!
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by drjazz
Fox News? I'm shocked that the article didn't blame Obama's stimulus bill or Obamacare! Oh, it was an AP story. That explains it!
Political views have no place on FT!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by drjazz
. . . and of course much of the rest of the media would probably have blamed it on the previous administration.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:47 am

FTFA: " Autopilot and other systems began shutting down, putting nearly all the plane's control in the hands of the pilot, something that usually happens only in emergencies."

Like that's a bad thing ?
Pretty sure that, when things go whacky, I'd be a bit more comfortable with a human doing the driving.

(Too many sad experiences with 'the computer sez..' )
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by squawk7500
FTFA: " Autopilot and other systems began shutting down, putting nearly all the plane's control in the hands of the pilot, something that usually happens only in emergencies."

Like that's a bad thing ?
Pretty sure that, when things go whacky, I'd be a bit more comfortable with a human doing the driving.

(Too many sad experiences with 'the computer sez..' )
"in the hands of the pilot" is not the issue.

I agree... I would prefer the pilot to have the final say over what the aircraft is going to do. I have an aversion to the Airbus computer controlled approach.

However, having the plane "in the hands of the pilot" when the pilot does not have the reliable information needed to safely fly the plane... i.e., no reliable airspeed indication... is still not the "optimum" situation.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:27 am

.....Pretty sure that, when things go whacky, I'd be a bit more comfortable with a human doing the driving.......[/QUOTE]

A big problem with automation is GOOD stick and rudder men (women) are harder to find. For example, compare the (first) landing in the Hudson River vs Buffalo.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Also, as has been pointed out in previous discussions on this subject, at high altitudes aircraft operate safely within a narrow envelope -- look up "coffin corner" in Wikipedia. Too much speed & the airframe is stressed; too little speed & you end up in a high altitude stall that is difficult to recover from.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Associated Press
Delta/Northwest and US Airways recently completed replacing older Thales tubes with new Thales tubes. The companies say they are now replacing them with Goodrich tubes.

In June, the Air France pilots' unions urged its members to refuse to fly Airbus A330s and A340s unless their Thales sensors had been replaced.

The Federal Aviation Administration hasn't issued a safety directive, but spokeswoman Laura Brown said the agency hopes to have one soon.
Last week the FAA issued a PMA (Parts Manufacturer Approval) to Aero-Instruments for a replacement pitot tube for the Thales and Goodrich units.

Linkage
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
.....Pretty sure that, when things go whacky, I'd be a bit more comfortable with a human doing the driving.......
A big problem with automation is GOOD stick and rudder men (women) are harder to find. For example, compare the (first) landing in the Hudson River vs Buffalo.[/QUOTE]

Yet they are completely different aircraft in totally different situations....
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
... i.e., no reliable airspeed indication... is still not the "optimum" situation.
So, your vote is 'garbage-in, garbage-out' ?
Originally Posted by secretsea18
Yet they are completely different aircraft in totally different situations....:confused
"Thrust - drag - lift - gravity". The basics don't change.
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
.. GOOD stick and rudder men (women) are harder to find. For example, compare the (first) landing in the Hudson River vs Buffalo.
Or SUX. Ken gets it. ^

I'll take a live pilot with their head in the game, when the 'puter blinks 'GAME OVER'.

Notwithstanding, anonymous AP writer is still a putz.
Happy Landings, y'all.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Response to Airbus Pitot Tube Incidents Under Scrutiny

Aug 9, 2009

By Jens Flottau, AviationWeek.com

Is Europe's aviation safety system proactive enough to head off safety concerns? That has become a question in the wake of how regulators and other stakeholders have dealt with problems linked to Thales pitot tubes on Airbus aircraft.

Late last month, Airbus advised operators using Thales pitot probes on their A330/A340s to replace all but one of three on an aircraft and to switch to Goodrich devices, the only other supplier at the time. European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) regulators echoed the finding, with a July 31 notice that it intends to issue an airworthiness directive mandating replacement of the probes.

But the action comes only after at least two years in which repeated problems with the Thales devices had been reported. EASA officials were aware of those at least since 2007, having internally expressed concern about "a significant number of in-service events." Those events were described as "at least hazardous" in an EASA presentation in late 2007. According to its own definition, "a large reduction in safety margins or functional capabilities" of the aircraft is typical of hazardous events along with "physical distress" and a high workload for pilots who "cannot be relied upon to perform their tasks accurately and completely."
Linkage to the rest
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by secretsea18
Yet they are completely different aircraft in totally different situations....
You have one situation where an extremely experienced pilot was able to land a plane in conditions where most reasonable people expected a catastrophic crash. You have another situation where a plane that should never have crashed none the less did so killing all passengers and crew aboard because both the pilot and copilot were poorly paid, inexperienced, undertrained, and apparently not well rested and crashed their plane due entirely to human error.

One of the downsides to having planes that fly themselves is the only experience the pilots get in actually flying them is in the simulator.

All that said, I actually prefer the computer-controlled aircraft. They are fare more likely to avoid human error, and I'd much rather be in a situation where the computer may fail and the pilot gets a second chance to make things right than where the pilot may fail and I'm screwed.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:29 pm

I still would like that pilot to be a good stick and rudder man (woman)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.