Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NWA/Delta merger - no meals?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

NWA/Delta merger - no meals?

I'm flying from London Heathrow to Minneapolis in September.

Originally I was booked on an NWA flight which had 'Dinner' listed as a meal option. The flight is now to be operated by DELTA and the latest confirmation notice says 'No meals'.

On querying this with NWA I'm told that there is no meal as the plane leaves London after lunchtime and arrives in the US before supper. This means that we will be in the air for over 9 hours with no food provided (unless paid for).

Has anyone else heard this? Do you think it is reasonable for an airline to change terms like this? (are they legally able to?)

Your view would be appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Tonks, welcome to FT

I'm going to move this over to the Northwest forum, where others may have experienced the same and may be able to help you. Please continue to follow it there.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tonks
On querying this with NWA I'm told that there is no meal as the plane leaves London after lunchtime and arrives in the US before supper. This means that we will be in the air for over 9 hours with no food provided (unless paid for).
Who ever told you this was sniffing glue or something.... Unless they have made a radical change in policy and managed to keep it a secret....There will DEFINITELY be a meal and then some kind of "snack" towards the end of the flight.

Of course if this is coach, don't get too excited about the food, it will be pretty nasty and not very filling. I would recommend bringing a protein bar or something else high in protein since the meals/snacks/food tend to be pretty carb laden...
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:53 pm

Oh and Welcome To FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it has a NW flight number, it's actually operated by DL. I'm 99.9% sure you'll get a meal and that the system is mistakenly applying domestic meal rules to an international flight.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam

Even on a domestic flight, DL would feed you something after X hours. (and X does not equal nine) As someone else said, you will have a regular meal and some kind of pre-arrival snack meal.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by underpressure
Even on a domestic flight, DL would feed you something after X hours. (and X does not equal nine) As someone else said, you will have a regular meal and some kind of pre-arrival snack meal.
No, they wouldn't. I've done MSP-HNL & back several times in coach & have yet to be fed.

They probably feed you on TPAC & TATL runs so they won't be jailed for abuse on arrival ... and maybe (just maybe) because the competition is also feeding the self-loading-cargo in the back of the plane.

To the OP -- you'll get a probably decent meal shortly after takeoff. The snack served before landing tends to be going downhill these days on most airlines.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Aug 2, 2009 at 4:40 pm
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FT! You're probably going to be looking at a standard meal service post departure, followed by a pizza box before arrival.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Funny, there is very little info on meals on international flights, but a lot of info when it comes to domestic flights with food for purchase. According tohttp://www.delta.com/traveling_check....../dining.jsp:
"We offer complimentary meal service on most international flights (approximately 6 hours or longer) and select flights to Alaska and Hawaii."
I wonder how many "select" flights there are to Alaska and Hawaii that actually offer free meals? Are there any?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Funny, there is very little info on meals on international flights, but a lot of info when it comes to domestic flights with food for purchase. According tohttp://www.delta.com/traveling_check....../dining.jsp:
"We offer complimentary meal service on most international flights (approximately 6 hours or longer) and select flights to Alaska and Hawaii."
I wonder how many "select" flights there are to Alaska and Hawaii that actually offer free meals? Are there any?
always gotten food on DL flights to HNL.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
No, they wouldn't. I've done MSP-HNL & back several times in coach & have yet to be fed.
My PNR says meal, I better get one...
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:20 pm

They probably feed you on TPAC & TATL runs so they won't be jailed for abuse on arrival ... and maybe (just maybe) because the competition is also feeding the self-loading-cargo in the back of the plane.
HA! Jailed for abuse...if only that were possible! Actually since DL has the joint venture thing with Air France, that is why beer and wine are free on TATL flights now...before you just got one free drink with dinner...

If only Air France had stipulated that food quality has to be decent too...
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:24 pm

I believe complimentary meals in coach were recently introduced on MSP-HNL flights as the onboard products were standardized.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
My PNR says meal, I better get one...
Please report back -- that definitely will be a merger improvement.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Please report back -- that definitely will be a merger improvement.
Hang tight, my flight is in Dec. But now I'm getting nervous...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.