Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Elite Program Announcement

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Sorry, you are just WRONG. Just because you say "No they did NOT", does not make it so.
And just because NW said it was doesn't make it so either. What counts is the math. And the math says there was no 3X promo.

No, math makes it so.

If I would earn 1,500 EQM, but sign up for a Promo, and then earn 3,000 EQM instead, that is a 2X promo. Here, I'll show you:

3,000 / 1,500 = 2

The promo doubled the number of miles earned.

*EVEN* if one were to accept that the COS bonus should not have been included, then if you flew 1,000 miles, you should have gotten 3,500 EQM credited:

1,000 base plus 2,000 3X promo plus 500 COS.

Delta atually did that. Northwest did not.

Either way, NW *DID NOT RUN A 3X PROMO!* If you count COS, then it was 2X, and if you don't, it was 2.5X, but under no circumstances was the NW promo 3X. Neither a double base miles bonus nor a double normally accrued miles bonus was awarded.

Again, DL actually did award a double base miles bonus, but NW fliers got screwed.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
One more question about the rollover EQMs - when does that start? E.g. let's say I end 2009 with 250K EQM. Will I start 2010 with 125K EQM, or will I start 2010 with 0 EQM if the rollover won't start until 2010?

EDIT: I re-read the original post, which states the benefit is effective now. So I am assuming that if I end the year with 250K EQM I will be Diamond Medallion through 2/2012. Hmm....
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:20 am

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Thanks so much for your feedback on our 2010 Medallion program. We continue to read your responses and while we can’t respond to each individual question or comment, we do want to address your major concerns – and clear up any confusion about the issues generating the most feedback.
The most feedback? That would undeniably be the matter of fare bases that qualify to use the new SWUs. Ready to tackle that?

• New Day-of-departure SWU: While you won’t receive as many certificates as before, we think they should be more usable and rewarding because we’ve added the ability to use SWUs on the day of departure.
Not really the question you should have addressed (see above), but let's roll with the easy one you picked. The chatter on here is actually whether the new SWU's can be used on day of departure if there are any BE seats available, not just in a specific inventory. If this is the case, and we hope it is, then what is the priority for those seats? Similar to battlefield upgrades for domestic flights?

• Delta Sky Club & Diamond Medallion: Okay, here’s the deal with Delta Sky Club membership. As you know, Diamond Medallion members will receive a complimentary membership... if you’re already a lifetime Delta Sky Club member, your membership status will remain the same.
Uh... no. I now have two memberships to SkyClub, one earned with great difficulty and one purchased at great expense. This means I should be able to lend my lifetime SkyClub membership to someone of my choosing for the duration of the time that I remain a Diamond Medallion. Or, Delta can give me an additional Choice Benefit each year. Your choice.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by raehl311
And just because NW said it was doesn't make it so either. What counts is the math. And the math says there was no 3X promo.

No, math makes it so.
ROFL
Actually, it does. The rules are made by NW and interpreted by NW.

Maths makes it so, the way you say, only if you misapply maths. The promotion said a traveller would earn triple EQMs if they satisfy certain requirements. It makes it so, becase that's what maths tells us, as well as English.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
ROFL
Actually, it does. The rules are made by NW and interpreted by NW.

Maths makes it so, the way you say, only if you misapply maths. The promotion said a traveller would earn triple EQMs if they satisfy certain requirements. It makes it so, becase that's what maths tells us, as well as English.
So if the NW promo has said 5X EQM, and they gave out an extra 500 EQM per flight, that would be a 5X EQM promo because NW said so?

I'm all for some disagreement, but I have to honestly say that I have never seen so many people completely blind to a fact than I have here on Flyertalk recently. 3X is 3X. The NW Promo was not 3X. It was either "3X base and you lose the 50% COS bonus" or it was 2X. DL ran and credited 3X (giving out 3.5X base miles total)

It's actually a fairly sore point with me as I'm sitting here at 74,826 EQM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Horizons
Or, Delta can give me an additional Choice Benefit each year.
You would seriously trade a $450 one-year lounge membership for one of:

- 6-day SkyClub membership
- More useless PMUs
- 25,000 miles (worth maybe $250)
- Gift Cards

I suppose a Gold Medallion gift might be worth it - assuming they let you pick the same perk more than once. Otherwise if you've picked the Gold choice, and picked the 25k miles choice, you're left with useless PMUs, trading a 365-day membership for a 6-day one, or gift cards.

Last edited by raehl311; Jul 31, 2009 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia

- More useless PMUs
- Gift Cards

I suppose a Gold Medallion gift might be worth it - assuming they let you pick the same perk more than once. Otherwise if you've picked the Gold choice, and picked the 25k miles choice, you're left with useless PMUs, trading a 365-day membership for a 6-day one, or gift cards.
You provide a good perspective on how each of us value awards differently-- you appear to value the lounge membership highly. In my case, a lounge membership has absolutely no value: I have a lifetime membership card I bought 20 years ago which itself I never use because Plat Elite status provides me lounge access internationally and the two AMEX cards I use regularly already provide me lounge access when I travel domestically. In contrast, I value the PMU's very highly-- I have used every one successfully on travel from LAX to Eastern Europe so that's at least 14 hours in WBC for each one-way coupon that I have used. Even if I were not flying internationally, I'd use the coupons for upgrades to Hawaii or for an advance upgrade on a domestic travel day such as the evening before Thanksgiving. In my case, I will really look forward to the 10 one-way upgrades I can receive when the Diamond status kicks in-- i.e. 4 as an initial gift, plus 6 additional as one of the award choices. Since I recently passed the 125K threshold this year, I only wish they would institute Diamond this year so I could obtain 6 more PMUs. Normally when you obtain the mileage level in a program year, you get automatically upgraded to the next level but I gather this is the year where Diamond will be a no-go until the Spring 2010 program starts.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:44 pm

- More useless PMUs
- Gift Cards

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
You provide a good perspective on how each of us value awards differently.
I agree completely - everyone values different things. I use every PMU, and my company loves them as I can fly relatively flexible business class for $2500-$3k vs. $8-9k. I used every one, plus two of the "1 mile upgrades" promotions. A B ticket + PMU is much easier to score and manage than a Z ticket. I will pop once or twice a year for a personal/vacation Z ticket, so having more options there would be a plus too.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:56 pm

- More useless PMUs
- Gift Cards

I would. They could offer a $1billion moon lounge club access - doesn't mean squat unless you are going to the moon.

I fly direct, so what use is the lounge membership? I'd rather spend more time at home/office/restaurant (why I fly direct in the first place) than in an airport lounge. I value the miles and gift cards ahead of the lounge access.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
With all the talk of people defecting on this thread, is there any reason why the AA/UA equivalent of SkyMilesInsider isn't promoting on this thread? Is there an unspoken FT rule that other airlines representatives cannot post on others' boards?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by LAXRuss
You provide a good perspective on how each of us value awards differently-- you appear to value the lounge membership highly.
No, I appear to value lounge memberships the same way anyone else would place a value on an asset: The price.

DL charges Plats $300 or 40,000 miles for a membership. Therefore, the lounge membership is worth $300 or 40,000 miles, since that is what you have to trade to get one.

Even if you PERSONALLY don't feel the lounge membership is worth that much, it should be blatantly obvious that when one of the DM perk choices is "6 Skyclub day passes" that an annual skyclub membership MUST be worth more than a DM perk choice, since 365 is much, much greater than 6.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, AS 100K, SPG LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

- More useless PMUs
- Gift Cards
since I have 5 years of club membership paid, I'd rather select something else as a "diamond":

- SWU on lower fare
- 1 year of Gogo internet
- Gift Gold status
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:15 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star

- More useless PMUs
- Gift Cards
I realize the question is rhetorical, but look at the alternative: zilch. Delta is seriously offering lifetime SkyClub members the exclusive right to continue enjoying the benefit we have already bought for several thousand dollars. Wow! How could anyone turn that down?!

If Delta had said that as a Diamond Medallion possessing a lifetime SkyClub card I could gift a SkyClub membership to anyone of my choosing for the duration of my Diamond status, including to myself, that would be fair and miles better than what's on offer: take the redundant membership for yourself or waive it, but you get nothing else.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Another angle on this. (I'll be at 71K EQM year end and trying to decide if it's worth the time to squeeze in another trip to hit PE).

I won't get the best of the current benefits, which is the companion upgrade with my wife 5 days out on all fare classes. BUT if I skip the worthless upgrades as my platinum choice I think I could get a free SE membership for her. So we could both upgrade with SE priority, which is worse that PE but is better than day of depature on expensive tickets only. And she could get free baggage if travelling without me or on a split PNR.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Horizons
If Delta had said that as a Diamond Medallion possessing a lifetime SkyClub card I could gift a SkyClub membership to anyone of my choosing for the duration of my Diamond status, including to myself, that would be fair and miles better than what's on offer: take the redundant membership for yourself or waive it, but you get nothing else.
This is exactly what I was thinking as well. As a Lifetime WorldClub member who's expecting to end 2009 with 117K, I have ZERO incentive to reach Diamond.
It DL allowed me to select a different perk instead of the SkyClub membership (which I already possess for life), I might be interested. Offer me the ability to gift a SkyClub membership as long as I am a Diamond, I may thing about it.
Offer me a SWU on a low fare, and I'll be hitting that threashold!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.