Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

DELTA VACATIONS-What a Disappointment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

For several years, in March, we have used NW Vacations for PHL/LGW via DTW staying at the (renamed) The Grosvenor in Victoria Station. The package included an excellent English buffet breakfast and was reasonably priced. This year's change to LHR resulted in a Sunday return earlier than London tube transport was available. The DL site was totally unreasonable. We therefore used hotels.com for the first and last time. Just checked the new Delta Vacations for next year and what a disappointment! It had 30 possible flights and would not give any indication of price until a particular flight was chosen. Who would go through 30 flights to check prices? All 30 flights involved 3 planes via DTW/AMS. It gets better! All returns required an overnight in AMS. Needless to say, until they change, Delta Vacations will not be our choice for ANY travel reservations.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:38 pm

I was recently sent a $100 coupon to use on Delta vacations. I did a few test bookings, but couldn't find anything that represented a savings over booking the air fare and hotel or car separetely. Back with old NWA vacations, the package usually resulted in some form of discounted airfare. Quite disappointed.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
And just WHAT did you expect from your "Premier Global Airline" ????

Yet another "Best in Class" example of how the idiots in Atlanta have destroyed what was truly one of the world's greatest airlines
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I noticed what the OP noticed as well. There are no prices for the packages until clicking through all the screens. As if.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:27 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
As I've read it, it's just a name change, the company that operates NW/DL-Vacations.com is the same company, before and after. So, the question is... was the change driven by the company, or by DL/NW?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Poster

I neglected to thank FT and an unrecalled poster for saving us from disaster on this year's London trip. I was not aware that the tube starts later on Sun. until reading it on FT. Without this info we would have booked the NW LHR flight and been shocked to find the tube closed at the early hour we needed it. Thank you FT and poster.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by sbagdon
As I've read it, it's just a name change, the company that operates NW/DL-Vacations.com is the same company, before and after. So, the question is... was the change driven by the company, or by DL/NW?
MLT Vacations was a wholly-owned subsidiary of NWA, and therefore is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta. Rebranding the product line from NWWV to DLV is one thing, but totally changing the functionality of the web-site (read "downgrading") is yet another move back to the Stone Age that DL seems to be quite good at.

Note to OP: the Tube is NOT the only way to get to LHR!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrcimino1
Such as cab, Paddington Rail or both, IF I survived the coronary brought on by the panic. (and cost)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sbagdon
that is correct, DL use to contract "DL Vacations" out before...NWA used MLT Vacations which they own (well DL now owns too)....DL no longer contracts out and instead uses MLT Vacations too and renamed NWA Vacations DL Vacations (confusing??? shouldn't be just know it is the same old NWA vacations as before)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
MLT Vacations was a wholly-owned subsidiary of NWA, and therefore is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta. Rebranding the product line from NWWV to DLV is one thing, but totally changing the functionality of the web-site (read "downgrading") is yet another move back to the Stone Age that DL seems to be quite good at.

Can you be a wholly owned subsidiary, of a wholly owned subsidiary?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
One option..

I went over to London on a mistake fare this past February ($222 r/t). I used priceline and targeted and got the J.W. Marriott for $150/night in Mayfair. This is a 5 Star that goes for about double that. My experiences with most airline packages is that they are usually not much of a deal. I think we have used NWA vacations twice - both for tradeshows that were booked heavily in Las Vegas. I'll admit I didn't check NWA Vacations that often - I usually didn't find the value I was looking for.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by thebigfish
I went over to London on a mistake fare this past February ($222 r/t). I used priceline and targeted and got the J.W. Marriott for $150/night in Mayfair. This is a 5 Star that goes for about double that. My experiences with most airline packages is that they are usually not much of a deal. I think we have used NWA vacations twice - both for tradeshows that were booked heavily in Las Vegas. I'll admit I didn't check NWA Vacations that often - I usually didn't find the value I was looking for.
In the old days the NWA vacation packages could be a good deal in very specific circumstances. I remember, for instance, that when booking tickets to SIN the NWA vacations could price out an otherwise unbookable K fare, which saved a fair amount of change, assuming you combined it with at least two hotel nights.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
I generally had really good luck pricing out with NWA vacations. As previous posters have said, it often pulled fares that weren't bookable on nwa.com which was a nice perk. As well, you could combine miles and dollars to do a vacation (i.e. use miles for the flight portion) and that was also great, since usually they were good perksaver rates. I see that option is now completely gone.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by psychtobe
I noticed what the OP noticed as well. There are no prices for the packages until clicking through all the screens.
Best in Class! Especially that Delta website - NOT!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:00 am

Programs: DELTA
Angry

Originally Posted by humanoid94
I was recently sent a $100 coupon to use on Delta vacations. I did a few test bookings, but couldn't find anything that represented a savings over booking the air fare and hotel or car separetely. Back with old NWA vacations, the package usually resulted in some form of discounted airfare. Quite disappointed.
Morons (meaning DL Management)...

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.