Search

Baggage on multi-city itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Baggage on multi-city itinerary

I'm leaving on a trip today that includes MSN-AMS-LHR-MSN (with some connections). The AMS-LHR step is on KL and is 10 days from now (with the return from LHR five days after that).

I am going to a baseball tournament and have 2 checked bags, each of which will be close to 50 pounds. I also have a small briefcase and a CPAP machine.

My understanding of the baggage rules has always been that as long as a US city is part of the itinerary (and this was all purchased as a single itinerary / PNR from NW), the more generous US baggage rules apply.

My concern is only with KL in AMS when I have my flight AMS-LHR in 10 days -- I'm hoping they don't try to charge for baggage there -- I am on a 15 day trip and I've cut back as much as I can to make this as easy as I can to move from place to place, but since I am a baseball umpire I have lots of clothing and gear related only to that as well as work clothes for my week in the UK, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:01 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I assume it is all one ticket. I haven't had experience with KL/NW but have with other airlines (specifically BA and OS and a long time ago with NG for nostalgia buffs). Each time when they mentioned the baggage issue, I mentioned that I originated in the US and then it was OK. With OS, even before I mentioned that, they said they would not charge me.

But honestly you are at the mercy of the check in agent.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I showed up at AMS Monday and the check-in agent seemed almost disappointed when she saw on her screen I was entitled to 2 bags (and I think 70 pounds each, too). She was all ready to charge me.

No problems getting to LHR. Flight home on Saturday.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: DL HH Marriott Starwood Hertz
KLM not as sympathetic?

I've found KLM not as sympathetic on baggage as NWA is, I've had to pay on return, even when my origination was in the US.

I have to wonder at the longevity of this tieup

OP: glad things worked out.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I had this issue when I flew the YYZ-OTP mistake fare.

I flew KL YYZ-AMS-OTP-AMS-BCN-AMS-YYZ with 3 days in AMS, 10 days in OTP (side trips to VIE & BTS) and 4 days in BCN.

KL agents in AMS and OTP insisted to charge me the excess baggage fee (200+ euros) but luckily I had called KL's customer service in Holland prior to the trip and had them noted the reservation that I'm allowed 2 x 50lbs the whole way.

I'm glad I did that or it would've been an expensive "mistake fares"

In September, I'm flying award tix PBI-IAH-MEX-NRT-PEK-HKG-CGK with 3 days in PEK and over 24 hours in HKG. When I called CZ & CI customer service, they insisted I am only allowed 20 kg (44 lbs) on their legs, even though I will originate and return to the US

Last edited by aSiAnRiCk; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.