Wiki Posts
Search

NRT WC Lounge [ARGHHH!!!] - RANT!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Angry NRT WC Lounge [ARGHHH!!!] - RANT!

I'm connecting from NRT to ICN aboard KE later today. I just arrived aboard a CO flight from EWR in BusinessFirst and went onto the International Transit/Ticketing desk for my KE BP. The agent also gave me an invitation to the KAL Lounge. After hearing about the hooplah about the WC in NRT, I decided to go there instead--and indeed, the WC (Satellite #2) is NICE! However, when I checked in with the desk agents in the WC, they said that I had to choose between the WC or the KAL Lounge. What?!

I thought that as an international business class pax with ST, I am allowed to access any ST Lounge on the day of travel. The desk agent refused to budge and said that if I want to enter the WC, I would forfeit the invitation to the KAL lounge. She called the KAL agent and after a few words later on the phone, she said that I have to choose: KAL Lounge or NW WC. It seems, then, that I'm NOT allowed to access ST lounges across the board with a ST ticket in business class. I calmly tried to stand my ground but eventually relented and allowed her to take my KAL Lounge Pass, because this woman wasn't going to budge. I also found it incredibly embarrassing that everyone around her (both customers and other desk agents) were staring at us. In any case, I wanted a shower after a 14-hour flight.

A part of me wants to show her the rules in Japanese, but another part of me feels that it's pointless now. I would just hate to see someone else go through this situation.

Could someone please tell me that I've misinterpreted the rules? Or, have I been duped? Thanks, FT!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Trust me, you didn't miss anything by not going to the KE lounge. It's hot, no showers, very very limited food and if you gotta use the bathroom, you have to leave the lounge and go to the public toilets. The NW lounge is an oasis compared to the KE lounge.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I agree; the NW lounge at NRT is the best SkyTeam lounge. You could have probably gone to the KL lounge and just showed them your Elite Plus credentials and they should have let you in. But, as TravellinHusker said, I don't think you missed a thing.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I concur with all of the above. The KE lounge is pretty bad in comparison. You would have been upset at yourself for wasring your time had you gone. They did you a favor.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:57 am
Original Poster

That's good to know! You can never tell what's behind the frosted glass doors .

In any case, did I miss the memo about ST lounge access? Or, was the WC matron right about not being able to access both lounges on the same day? Thanks for making me feel better about what I didn't miss . I love, FT! :-:

PS: The showers are quite nice: Though they're smaller than the WC lounge in DTW, I liked the coziness of the shower/bathroom. And the spaciousness and food selection was quite good .
Old Mar 21, 2009, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
That's good to know! You can never tell what's behind the frosted glass doors .

In any case, did I miss the memo about ST lounge access? Or, was the WC matron right about not being able to access both lounges on the same day? Thanks for making me feel better about what I didn't miss . I love, FT! :-:

PS: The showers are quite nice: Though they're smaller than the WC lounge in DTW, I liked the coziness of the shower/bathroom. And the spaciousness and food selection was quite good .
I think the rules say you only have access to WC lounges strictly on a WBC ticket. As a Plat (if you are) you then get access to ST lounges but only on Eligible Itineraries" which probably means you are flying the partner or are having your access endorsed over to them. Because they are compensated I think you give up your WC access. Not sure just an interpretation.

"When you fly World Business Class, you're invited to relax and unwind or catch up on work at any one of our exclusive WorldClubs lounges. From free wi-fi to private workstations and conference rooms, WorldClubs are stocked with amenities to help you make the most of your travels."
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:09 am

You were entering with a Lounge Pass. They are always surrendered upon entry to a club. That's just how they work. Now, if you'd just showed up with your Plat Card and a BP, that would have been different.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:41 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by motytrah
You were entering with a Lounge Pass. They are always surrendered upon entry to a club. That's just how they work. Now, if you'd just showed up with your Plat Card and a BP, that would have been different.
If the OP had not created a scene about it (("I also found it incredibly embarrassing that everyone around her (both customers and other desk agents) were staring at us.")), just surrendered the invitation to NW, then tried to enter the KAL lounge with his PE card and BP, it might have worked. But once NW called KAL, there was no way he would have gained entrance to the KAL lounge.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:05 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
It is the official policy in Dubai (DXB) where there were two Skyteam lounges -- one KLM lounge and one AF lounge. You can only use one lounge per itinerary.

The AF lounge has shower but will only open until 1:00AM; the KLM lounge does not have shower but will open all night long when there is the additional 8AM DXB-AMS flight.

However, you can only use one lounge per itinerary, no matter you are in business class, you are Skyteam Elite Plus, you have WorldClub membership or you have all of them -- the lounge agent will stamp your boarding pass once you enter the lounge, consequently, the other lounge will refuse your admission if you decide to use the other one later. This is to avoid double billing for lounge use for NW, per what the agent informed me.

I was a little lucky one week ago when came back from Mumbai to Boston. After a long hot and sweaty trip from India and a short conservation with the KL lounge lady, she did not stamp my boarding bass thus I used the shower in the AF lounge then returned to the KL lounge for a good night sleep. Maybe I was too smelly at first sight thus she loosed the policy a little bit.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:23 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
It is the official policy in Dubai (DXB) where there were two Skyteam lounges -- one KLM lounge and one AF lounge. You can only use one lounge per itinerary.

The AF lounge has shower but will only open until 1:00AM; the KLM lounge does not have shower but will open all night long when there is the additional 8AM DXB-AMS flight.

However, you can only use one lounge per itinerary, no matter you are in business class, you are Skyteam Elite Plus, you have WorldClub membership or you have all of them -- the lounge agent will stamp your boarding pass once you enter the lounge, consequently, the other lounge will refuse your admission if you decide to use the other one later. This is to avoid double billing for lounge use for NW, per what the agent informed me.

I was a little lucky one week ago when came back from Mumbai to Boston. After a long hot and sweaty trip from India and a short conservation with the KL lounge lady, she did not stamp my boarding bass thus I used the shower in the AF lounge then returned to the KL lounge for a good night sleep. Maybe I was too smelly at first sight thus she loosed the policy a little bit.
I was in the KLM lounge in DXB twice in early January and my boarding pass was never stamped. In fact, since I was flying SU, SU gave me an invitation to the generic business class lounge which put the KLM lounge to shame. I liked the business class lounge for the shower and the food selection. The AF lounge was never open when I was there (middle of the night most times).

But twice I used both the KLM lounge. Once was upon arrival into DXB when I didn't have an invitation to the other lounge. Not sure why the second time but I know I used KLM twice, both times without any sort of stamp on the boarding pass. YMMV.

John
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
I was in the KLM lounge in DXB twice in early January and my boarding pass was never stamped. In fact, since I was flying SU, SU gave me an invitation to the generic business class lounge which put the KLM lounge to shame. I liked the business class lounge for the shower and the food selection. The AF lounge was never open when I was there (middle of the night most times).

But twice I used both the KLM lounge. Once was upon arrival into DXB when I didn't have an invitation to the other lounge. Not sure why the second time but I know I used KLM twice, both times without any sort of stamp on the boarding pass. YMMV.

John

Ahh...makes sense about the WBC ticket thing. In any case, I'm just happy that I was able to enjoy the WC before it's converted to "Sky Club" or whatever it'll be called .
Old Mar 21, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
I thought that as an international business class pax with ST, I am allowed to access any ST Lounge on the day of travel.
If you are a ST Elite Plus member you can do lounge hop in most airport like in HNL; although if you are on NW metal, you are not allowed entrance to KE lounge in NRT; just show them your ST Elite Plus card.

If you are not a ST Elite Plus, I don't think it is the case.

Last edited by spunk_tokyo; Mar 22, 2009 at 3:51 am
Old Mar 22, 2009, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
From what the OP said and some things I've heard and in addition to what I've expereinced, the whole ST airport crew in NRT (including NW) has a bad habit of making up rules on the go
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
I thought that as an international business class pax with ST, I am allowed to access any ST Lounge on the day of travel.
I guess it's a matter of interpretation of exactly what the rules mean: you were in fact granted access to any of the ST lounges at NRT, just not more than one. "any" could mean just that you don't have to choose the one run by your next departing carrier, but can choose among the ST lounges. The rule may not speak one way or the other as to whether you can access more than one. In fact, if they had meant you had access to more than one lounge, would the rule not say "all ST lounges" ?

A part of me wants to show her the rules in Japanese
It would be interesting to see what they say. It could be that they are more specific as to this situation, perhaps only because the words chosen for the Japanese translation have a more specific meaning as to this nuance.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
There are Rules and there are the Lounge Dragon's Rules

I thought that as an international business class pax with ST, I am allowed to access any ST Lounge on the day of travel. The desk agent refused to budge and said that if I want to enter the WC, I would forfeit the invitation to the KAL lounge.
You are correct, but it is possible that KE would revoke their lounge pass if they know you are using one of the Skyteam lounges. Also, if you go to the Skyteam lounge that is more distant to your departing gate, the dragon may "strongly encourage" you to go to the closer Skyteam lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.