Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED 1/27] Plats Get Two Free Award Redeposits; Y/B/M EQM Bonus remains in 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED 1/27] Plats Get Two Free Award Redeposits; Y/B/M EQM Bonus remains in 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but some ostriches like to keep their head in the sand and even would welcome being stepped on by DL management. Customers welcoming DL management's more and bigger award ticket fees just seems bizarre because it speaks to the bizarre
Keeping in mind that it is a reward system. If you do not like it you are welcome to find a better one.

I do not like the changes a whole lot. I was comfortable with the NW system but I guess I have to work with the rules and see if I can come ahead somehow. Most of the reward issues do not apply to me. I have simple needs in that respect and the changes will not affect my ability to cash in miles for that purpose.

The PMUs look interesting. I spent 120k miles last year on 4 upgrades on B fares. I would be happy to use these instead and will have to wait and see if that are useful for that purpose. The net effect will be that I can save 120k miles for free flights for the family (usually easy redemptions). Also, the 120k saved may go a big way in making up for the 25% drop in elite bonus. So, for me it will all depends on my ability to use PMUs on TATL upgrades on B fares. Will see...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Sucks!

I will burn the rest of my 250K miles this year and forget about maintaining Platinum status with NW. What is the use of the status anymore?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:33 am
mdb

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
If they work like Delta's they are good on M fares, which saves a bit but the reported 2 to 7 day window to use them is a deal killer for me. Once a year or so I treat myself to a TATL B fare and burn 60K miles. But I don't book unless I'm in WBC over water. Sounds like you can't do that with these...

Yup same here. Restrictions on fare class are one thing this 2-7 window BS makes them worthless.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ADLFO
From the DL side, I'm wondering if PMs/PEs are going to get 6 NW style (read: better) SWUs or just the same lame DL PMUs.
What's the difference?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mdb
Yup same here. Restrictions on fare class are one thing this 2-7 window BS makes them worthless.
Can someone point out the 2-7 day window reference in NWs communications? So far I can not find any reference to this and I can only assume that it is assumed by some FTs rather than fact.

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And no, 2 freebies & reducing the fee to $50 thereafter is not a compromise. It sucks. The two freebies are what we now know as a Jeffie:.
Jeffie = something taken away, then returned under the pretense of a kind gesture
As a holder of the name Jeff, I find that offensive!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
This is a mere pittance. We really need at least a few more than 2!!!! ....

We need to get our reasonable number of reissues back. And I don't care if they charge for redeposits, but routing changes on award tickets should be free (within reason, ok, but even if 1 or 2 changes a month is what DL does to our schedules, we should be able to make the same number for free! - and that number is FAR larger than 2 )
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by p1um1oco
And coming soon:
• Bookings in Y, B, and M classes will earn a 50% mileage bonus which also counts towards Elite Qualification
How 'Soon' is this? I have a couple of flghts booked in February in M. Right now, on NW, M fares are only 100% not 150%. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

My understanding is this: If I buy a trip that is on Delta with an M fare I will get 100% EQM if I credit it to my WP # and 150% if I credit it to my SM #? However, in doing so, I would not be eligible for upgrades on those legs as I am a NW Plat and a Delta Nobody?

Maybe someone smarter (or more attentive) than me can help me out here.

Last edited by shiner; Jan 27, 2009 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: Worldperks since '86. 2001-09 NW PE, Worldclub
Originally Posted by tvnwz
"waived" fees can be unwaived at any time. Not even a good try IMHO.
I fully agree! Think about it! This still does not address the real issue NW/DL claims is driving this decision. From NWSCOOP: "The statement that Platinum members will no longer be exempt from the award ticket redeposit and reissue fee effective March 1, 2009 is correct. This decision was made in an effort to preserve award seat availability for the entire WorldPerks and SkyMiles membership. We have found that many of these award seat bookings were held until the last minute and never flown. As a result, other SkyMiles and WorldPerks members, including our most-valued Platinum members, did not have the opportunity to use those seats."

So, if they were really interested in solving "the" problem, why not get more creative, like:
1) Charge these fees for redeposits of unused tickets
2) Charge the fees when changes are made within a reasonable time of departure
3) Don't allow the booking of overlapping itineraries from the same frequent traveler account for the same traveller.

I've only spent 10 minutes thinking about ideas. Certainly there are others.

They are truly taking away some of the major benefits of PE/PM. I fly over 100k per year and have always strived to reach PE status. I'm not sure they believe that folks like me will walk away from NW/DL without these perks.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
From the DL side, I'm wondering if PMs/PEs are going to get 6 NW style (read: better) SWUs or just the same lame DL PMUs.
Originally Posted by bstreeter
What's the difference?
Well, the NW SWUs (at least the EEP ones from last year) are "true" SWUs in that they can be used with any fare class as long as there is C class availability. DLs PMUs are kinda sucky because they can only be used on YBM (the more expensive) fares and as long as there is Z or G seats available.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:52 pm

Well, the NW SWUs (at least the EEP ones from last year) are "true" SWUs in that they can be used with any fare class as long as there is C class availability. DLs PMUs are kinda sucky because they can only be used on YBM (the more expensive) fares and as long as there is Z or G seats available.
Is Z on DL an award class or a discounted J class?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by motytrah
Is Z on DL an award class or a discounted J class?
It is an upgrade class only on BusinessElite numbered flights (whether domestic or international) for which you must use PMUs or Skymiles to get into.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gpan
This is a mere pittance. We really need at least a few more than 2!!!! ....

We need to get our reasonable number of reissues back. And I don't care if they charge for redeposits, but routing changes on award tickets should be free (within reason, ok, but even if 1 or 2 changes a month is what DL does to our schedules, we should be able to make the same number for free! - and that number is FAR larger than 2 )
It will be $50 per ticket change after the first two reservation changes and then DL will raise the fee and eliminate the waiver benefit from 2 waivers to 0 waivers. The hard part for DL to get away with was going from unlimited fee waivers to 2 fee waivers and no fee to a fee. Going forward DL will have an even easier time of eliminating the "2" waivers and of raising the fee to a three figure dollar amount.

DL's fleecing of the sheep continues.

The title of this thread should not be "Plats get two free award redeposits", it should be that "Plats lose most free award redeposits".
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It is an upgrade class only on BusinessElite numbered flights (whether domestic or international) for which you must use PMUs or Skymiles to get into.
And since it is not good for same-day upgrades, it's possible to see a BusinessElite seat fly out empty while a Platinum with a PMU and a very expensive coach fare is told it's against DL policy to clear the upgrade and gets stuck in coach.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bob Soukup
Along with these benefits, we recently announced the introduction of a tiered award ticket redemption fee for tickets booked within 20 days of departure - there remains no fees on Award Tickets redeemed 21 days or more from departure. Also, the Silver Elite mileage bonus will change from 50% of mileage flown to 25%.

I am an SE and I am livid.

I flew 30,000+ BIS miles last year to requalify and if I were to match that this year I would lose 7,500 RDMs ... NOT cool, NWA. You knock down the Plats 20% but Silvers 50%!??!?!

My experience being an SE so far is that it is not even really "Elite" (half the time I've flown I've ended up on segments that don't even bother to have a separate Elite boarding line) - this just further proves to me that SEs are the poor b*stard red-headed stepchild of the Elite world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.