Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allergy alert: Peanuts coming 2/1/09

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
As one who can't eat wheat, and the parent of a child with multiple life-threatening allergies, I've learned to control what I can and avoid the environments where the number of risk factors beyond my control is too great. From a personal point of view, I'm glad to see peanuts return, as we can't eat the pretzels.
Do you have a true wheat allergy, or do you have a gluten intolerance?

Either way, I'm glad that Delta actually has FREE snacks and usually has 2 options...cookies, crackers, or peanuts. Seems like you can't please everyone every day, but hopefully things work out on your flights.

There are also a lot of items that can trigger allergies to other things. There are several foods that a person who is allergic to Latex could react to. Many people with Sickle Cell Anemia all seem to have the same list of foods they are allergic to...whether they have even had them before in their life...just because they have reacted to various analgesics.

People also like to toss the word "Allergy" out there for strong preferences or intolerance. To get the point across for a cook or a party the word "allergy" is fine, but in a medical environment an allergy has a clear definition and an intolerance has another.

Peanut Allergy is a huge hot button, but lactose intolerance is just slightly more than a nuisance.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
just a few thoughts on this thread...
  • peanuts are actually legumes, not true nuts
  • a peanut allergy may coincide with a tree nut allergy, but there is no proven connection between the two (totally different plant families)
  • soy, now rampant in baby formula/infant foods, is a legume
  • some studies suggest that exposing infants to soy may in fact sensitize them to peanuts later on

As one who can't eat wheat, and the parent of a child with multiple life-threatening allergies, I've learned to control what I can and avoid the environments where the number of risk factors beyond my control is too great. From a personal point of view, I'm glad to see peanuts return, as we can't eat the pretzels.
I think, most people are aware that peanuts are not really nuts like tree nuts are. I grew up calling them ground nuts in English. In Hindi their name is derived from Mung, which is a legume.
In any case, the classification is not the issue here.

What you write about soy is interesting.
As pointed out earlier and in your post, there are many allergens in the environment. Some people allergic to peanuts, some to other nuts, some to wheat products, some to shell fish while some others to milk products. We certainly haven't heard people with wheat or milk allergies complaining. If foods are banned to "help" various groups, flights would have to be completely food free.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I have been know to go into 'shock' if they don't serve warmed nuts in WBC.

I still find it hard to ask a whole plane full of people not to eat nuts.

I would be more concerned about what comes out of the air vents and to find out when the filters were changed, or the ducts cleaned. I have seen some pretty bad stuff at the aiducts on planes.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sbagdon
The last hot meal I had in domestic coach was... umm... 1978!
And I'll bet you STILL can't get the taste out of your mouth.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
While Joel Stein's article was hilarious and incisive and therefore predictably lambasted by the educated readership of the LA Times online, some may find Dr. Christakis' controversial commentary in the BMJ more scientific:

http://christakis.med.harvard.edu/pd...81213_Nuts.pdf

It too has been criticized and his qualifications questioned ("He's just an internist!"), but undoubtedly there is an element of truth to his observations. In my field diagnoses come in waves. For a while there was Multiple Chemical sensitivity Syndrome; later Multiple Personality Disorder; the current rage is Bipolar disorder.

There are also seemingly psychosomatic illnesses which later turn out to be quite organic in origin: seizures and neurosyphilis are two classic examples.

As for peanuts on planes, what does NW gain by reincorporating them?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: DELTA
Exclamation The Flip Side to NW FA's On This Issue

I think it's great that NW staff and crew have been sensitive to your child's issue. Just to let you know, however... I have witnessed the same crews "behind the curtain" singing the blues of having to endure other PAX's insensitivity to this issue after the "no peanuts for you" announcement is made pre-flight. I think this is a testament to legacy NW FA's doing the right thing, despite the backlash it causes for them with PAX who don't understand.

-A
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: NW Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, National Emerald Club Elite, Radisson Gold
Free Peanuts in Coach?

I flew two segments in early February. No free peanuts in coach. Does the announcement refer to snacks for sale or free peanuts in coach?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
C'mon folks, let's just try to live normal lives, which for most of us, includes peanuts. I'm glad to see them back, just so there's one more choice available. As others have said, I think it's really up to those with the allergies to control which environments they expose themselves to. That isn't to say that reasonable precautions shouldn't be taken, but the rest of us have lives to lead, too.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: NWA Plat
Everyone has limitations. I can't sing opera or play professional football. Among many other things. I don't insist on doing things I can't.

If you can't handle being trapped in a little metal tube for hours with a bunch of random strangers who may be nuts, or eating nuts, or scratching their nuts, then don't do it. It is not for everyone, and it's as simple as that.

"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

barfo
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
On the other hand it makes little sense to do something that might exclude people from your customer base, especially when there are alternatives. People with peanut allergies might comprise < 1% of the population, but they also have parents & siblings & children who will make their collective travel arrangements elsewhere.

DL (& now NW) serves peanuts because it's a "home state" thing. The other 4 legacy airlines do not serve peanuts: AA, UA, US, CO. I'm sure they'll appreciate every customer they can get. Dumb, DL/NW, dumb!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: NWA Plat
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
On the other hand it makes little sense to do something that might exclude people from your customer base, especially when there are alternatives. People with peanut allergies might comprise < 1% of the population, but they also have parents & siblings & children who will make their collective travel arrangements elsewhere.

DL (& now NW) serves peanuts because it's a "home state" thing. The other 4 legacy airlines do not serve peanuts: AA, UA, US, CO. I'm sure they'll appreciate every customer they can get. Dumb, DL/NW, dumb!
It depends on how many of those <1% folks there are.
Some customers you want your competition to have.
Peanut allergy victims may be one of those cases.
In any case, if (when) DL goes bankrupt, we can blame it on the peanuts.

barfo
Old May 20, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Effective 01 June 2012, DL will no longer serve peanuts or peanut products (trail mix, etc) on flights that have someone with an allergy - assuming they notified DL, of course.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Deleted.

Reposted in a different thread in the main post-merger forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.