Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Here's the Great Circle Map for these trips:
Atlanta-Ladabo 6997 miles
Atlanta-Luanda 6260
Atlanta-Abuja 5978 miles
Atlanta-Monrovia 5068 miles
757's on these routes will have refueling stops.
And ATL-CPt on a 767? Ouch!

At least ATL-JNB is a 777. That sounds to be a true non-stop.

And what do we not see? ex-DTW/MEM/MSP?

Starting to hear the mantra again... "going to heaven or hell, connecting through ATL"...

Steve B.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by sbagdon
And what do we not see? ex-DTW/MEM/MSP?

Starting to hear the mantra again... "going to heaven or hell, connecting through ATL"...

Steve B.
I'll venture and guess that the reason there are no new MSP routes right now is that Delta is holding the MAC deal over the state's head, and won't do anything new until they get what they want.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
NRT-SLC is 5451 miles, the same distance as NRT-LAX. I was always under the impression that NRT-LAX was too far for the 332, at least certain times of the year given weather in the north pacific.

On top of that, SLC is both at a high altitude and gets quite hot in the summer, which could result at times in weight restrictions.

Anyway, just curious to what extent these are limiting concerns. Back when I flew United, that was also the explanation given for why there was no DEN-NRT service.
That explaination from United doesn't make sense for DEN. Maybe from the old Stapleton airport, but the new airport was built to avoid the issue. DEN 16R/34L is one of the longest public runways in the US at 16,000ft and was specifically built that long to allow international flights to take off without restrictions despite altitude and summer temps.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
NRT-SLC is 5451 miles, the same distance as NRT-LAX. I was always under the impression that NRT-LAX was too far for the 332, at least certain times of the year given weather in the north pacific.

On top of that, SLC is both at a high altitude and gets quite hot in the summer, which could result at times in weight restrictions.

Anyway, just curious to what extent these are limiting concerns. Back when I flew United, that was also the explanation given for why there was no DEN-NRT service.
The 332 has a range of 6200 miles. The 333 has only 5300 miles.

The 332 should comfortably be able to handle SLC-NRT, where the 333 might drop into the ocean.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Originally Posted by james318
The 332 has a range of 6200 miles. The 333 has only 5300 miles.

The 332 should comfortably be able to handle SLC-NRT, where the 333 might drop into the ocean.
As I recall, those published ranges are still air ranges. There are strong headwinds a lot of the time over the northern Pacific. I remember it being stated here when the A330s were deployed on the Pacific routes that SFO was close to the limits (at 5,124 statute miles) of the A332 at times on the westbound flight to NRT, and that LAX-NRT westbound would be too long for the range of the A332 when the winds were up.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, NW Gold for '09
My god...the reratively friendly citizens of Utah are in for a culture shock once they experience NW cabin crew.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dagowolf
DEN 16R/34L is one of the longest public runways in the US at 16,000ft and was specifically built that long to allow international flights to take off without restrictions despite altitude and summer temps.
There are still brake inertia ratings and tire speed ratings. Runway length doesn't overcome these - only lightening the load from passenger and cargo restrictions making the flight uneconomic will do.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:59 pm

Do they do pre-flight drinks ex-SLC?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:50 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Any idea where the NRT landing/takeoff slots are coming from to fund the new flights? There must be something coming off the schedule
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
Any idea where the NRT landing/takeoff slots are coming from to fund the new flights? There must be something coming off the schedule
Some of the threads point to cargo slots being used, and considering as some have pointed out that NW lost the DHL contract, they may be able to free these up.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
As I recall, those published ranges are still air ranges. There are strong headwinds a lot of the time over the northern Pacific. I remember it being stated here when the A330s were deployed on the Pacific routes that SFO was close to the limits (at 5,124 statute miles) of the A332 at times on the westbound flight to NRT, and that LAX-NRT westbound would be too long for the range of the A332 when the winds were up.
Ah.. Interesting information. Either way, the 333 couldn't handle it if it tried, where the 332 has a fighting chance. (not what I want from my aircraft, but I digress. )
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by motytrah
Do they do pre-flight drinks ex-SLC?
The LDS prohibition against alcohol consumption applies only to themselves. Everyone else is taxed. We've consumed inordinate amounts of cognac in the SLC lounge.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I apologize for expanding the scope of this thread, but I need to take this direct SLC-NRT flight in late October. However, the outbound schedule given me by the NW web (starting in OKC) leaves only 50 minutes in NRT to catch my flight to my final destination, HKG.
How is that possible considering that the incoming flight could be late and whatever distance there is between arrival and departures gates at NRT plus the transfer procedure required there?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xeno
I However, the outbound schedule given me by the NW web (starting in OKC) leaves only 50 minutes in NRT to catch my flight to my final destination, HKG.
That's why they are cited, and programmed into GDS for ticketing, as minimum connect times, not prudent connect times.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's why they are cited, and programmed into GDS for ticketing, as minimum connect times, not prudent connect times.
I know you're right, but at the moment there appear not to be a wide range of options on the outbound for my schedule.

What would happen if I miss the conneciton in NRT? Would DL put me in a hotel and then the same flight the next day (evening only) or would then use a different carrier at whatever time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.