Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by TooMuchTravel73
I really dislike flying SWA
Flying SWA back in the days of plastic boarding cards was a pretty miserable experience. On-line check-in improved things quite a bit. Since November 2007, the new boarding by number has eliminated all but about 2 minutes of standing in line at the gate.

Southwest now has the best boarding process in the industry. No kidding. If you haven't tried SWA since November 2007, you may not know what you're missing.

OTOH, if you believe that SWA's award redemption is outstanding, that information is also out of date. SWA has capacity controls that have become extremely tight this summer. It's no longer head and shoulders above AA and UA, for example. I'm hoping for improvement this fall.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM

Thursday's announcement marked the latest in a series of cargo shipping settlements over the last two years. Earlier, British Airways, Korean Air, Qantas and Japan Airlines filed similar agreements as part of the investigation.

In all, airlines have agreed to pay $1.2 billion in fines -- what O'Connor called "the highest total amount of fines ever imposed in a criminal antitrust investigation."

The investigation is continuing.

Who will be next?

Too bad management of Enron, Countryside, Bear Stearns, "no bid, billion dollar fraud" KBR, Blackwater, etc. etc. etc. for the most part won't be nailed for their economy-destroying crimes.
Surely my friend you do not expect me to be comforted when you implicitly compare the AF management to the above!

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Pays to have friends in high places in the U S of A I guess.
Clearly this is not limited to the US. See here, for instance.

As they say in Spanish:se cree el ladrn que todos son de su condicin
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: DELTA
Talking Kewl

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Once you start throwing in connections, things get really interesting. By my count, to get to London, you could still choose from (at least) BA, AA, CO, UA, DL/NW, US, LH, AC, SK, some combination with VS, and perhaps even NZ. All would be relatively realistic options. Even if we assume that all of the alliance-level JVs come to pass, you are still looking at something like BA/AA, DL/NW, UA/CO/LH/SK, US, VS, and NZ. Six options still seems pretty healthy to me.
You hereby get a much deserved ":-:" from me! Well done! ^

-A
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: NW WP Base Member
NWA and Delta Merger

Hey everyone I was wondering if the NWA and Delta merger is still happening if it is happening than would anyone know when the merger is completed. I was just wondering too what happens when two arlines merge together.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Allow me to be the first to suggest you use the search function of FlyerTalk to find your answer rather than starting a new thread

There are a ton of NW/DL merger threads on the board already. Short answer is that everything is still on course. Timeframe is not clearly defined.

-RM
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:42 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
ummmm... you might want to ask "your dad"... he posted last on this in a current merger thread, so I'm moving it there...

thezipper
NWA Moderator

Originally Posted by baswanson
Hey everyone I was wondering if the NWA and Delta merger is still happening if it is happening than would anyone know when the merger is completed. I was just wondering too what happens when two arlines merge together.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:49 pm

The shareholder approval date has been set for September 25. If cleared by both groups, then what is left to do in the merger?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It has to have regulatory approval. I have no idea where they are on that. I heard on the radio that they hope the deal is done by year end. That's just the legal side. Once the merger is done from a legal perspective, it has to be done from an operational perspective. So, my guess they will start putting the parts together in 2009. The real question from my perspective is when they will merge the FF programs.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:19 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Since I have 1 share of NWA and 1 share of Delta, does that give me 2 "NO" votes

Originally Posted by flyingrox
The shareholder approval date has been set for September 25. If cleared by both groups, then what is left to do in the merger?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have all the labor and vendor issues been cleared up? How about the Congressional hearings - I'd think the Reps of Minnesota, Michigan and Tennessee have a vested interest in ensuring a good portion of the NW employee based isn't summarily laid off post-merger, right before the election.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Have all the labor and vendor issues been cleared up? How about the Congressional hearings - I'd think the Reps of Minnesota, Michigan and Tennessee have a vested interest in ensuring a good portion of the NW employee based isn't summarily laid off post-merger, right before the election.
I might be wrong, but the Congressional hearings (which are over, I believe) don't actually have any authority. They can blather all they want and hope that it influences the DOJ decision, but Congress has no role in making sure jobs are kept.

I welcome being corrected, though.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quaker325
I might be wrong, but the Congressional hearings (which are over, I believe) don't actually have any authority. They can blather all they want and hope that it influences the DOJ decision, but Congress has no role in making sure jobs are kept.

You are correct.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Quaker325

With enough backing within, Congress could pass legislation and/or use leverage over the budget process to get in the way of this "merger" and/or in "making sure jobs are kept". That said, I don't think Congress is really unified enough on such a matter for it to exercise its powers effectively to such end as blocking the "merger" under the current circumstances.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
With enough backing within, Congress could pass legislation and/or use leverage over the budget process to get in the way of this "merger" and/or in "making sure jobs are kept". That said, I don't think Congress is really unified enough on such a matter for it to exercise its powers effectively to such end as blocking the "merger" under the current circumstances.
Agreed on all counts. I also don't think there's enough Congressional will to postpone DOJ action until a new administration takes office.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
The announcement made on Friday is for the Delta shareholders to meet on 9/25 to vote on giving Delta's board the authority to approve a merger without each shareholder voting. In essence, they're voting to give the Delta board proxy to their votes.

If they approve giving the Delta board proxy control (which they almost certainly will do), it will allow Delta to approve the merger within hours (or minutes) of DoJ approval. That's all this vote does. The DoJ decision could still take until Nov/Dec. or later to be delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.