Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Took advantage of quirk in award travel search engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I was looking for Perksaver award travel from DTW to JAX in early March but my requested dates only came up with Perkpass offers. Perksavers were not available going down there. But when I went into "more search options" and checked the box "include other airports within 25 miles", up popped many, many Perksaver options. Of course, the 25 miles was too narrow to actually include any other airports but it opened up the Perksavers from DTW. Has anyone else done this?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you still were able to get into JAX? It just opened up more inventory? Strange - but a good tip if it can be re-created! ^
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:29 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wow! Very cool tip! - - - Except that now they're probably gonna fix it!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Doesn't seem to work for international partner trips.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
There is another really funny bug that you can use to get rid of limitations around perkpass flights (read "avoid PP surcharge"), AFTER you have actually flown a leg of a PP award. I'm not sure if it still works, but if you have an open PP award and are Plat it's a free shot at getting some miles back. Here is how it works:
  • Book your PP award (i.e., 240 US-ASIA WBC Award)
  • Fly outbound leg (e.g., US--ASIA)
  • Rebook return to any date that has PerkSaver availability using the online tool (obviously you cannot call in to have them do this )
  • The tool will actually refund all of your miles and then rebook you as if both outbound and return are/were in PSaver.
So you in the US-ASIA WBC example, you'll see 240k returned to your account, but only 120 debited back out for the modified booking. I called TechSupport and told them about this, they didnt believe me that this actually happened and/or could be duplicated.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by stephem
There is another really funny bug that you can use .....
-
I called TechSupport and told them about this,.....
Good job, Ace.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by stephem
I called TechSupport and told them about this, they didnt believe me that this actually happened and/or could be duplicated.
Why exactly would you do something like this?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Oh when will people learn... When oh when?

Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
kcnwa, bostonbali and squawk7500

I find your comments to me to be disrespectful and childish. You guys are typical of what I think is actually a minority here on FT, you think the sole purpose of this site is to find ways to rip the airlines and that anyone who interferes with that is fair game for attack.

I love the way everyone wants NW to offer a better product, buy new planes, fly new routes, but they are willing to bleed NW dry and criticize anyone who would try to tell the airline that there's a way to fool their IT systems into giving you a $7000 ticket for the price of a PSaver award.

Why did I call tech support? I called them to try to give the miles back because I am an honest guy. YES, you read that right, I want to give NW back the miles that they lost in this transaction. You may not want to do that, but I think you three are totally childish for the postings you made about me.

Grow up guys!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the point is that there are often very few Perksaver awards to Asia available at any time. I've tried to change awards in the middle before, and never gotten any type of refund of miles above what I was entitled to.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Why exactly would you do something like this?
cause NW will not exist for long if everyone does so
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trineanT
cause NW will not exist for long if everyone does so
Getting a standard award is going to put NWA out of business? Huh? What? You must be kidding me. Do you believe if you find a really good fare, oh let's say $200 RT YVR-OTP in B class, that you're obligated to call up NW and tell them that maybe they made a mistake?

You'll find that FT'ers do a lot of things to help out NWA, and we want the airline to succeed. As things are now, NW is probably going to be gone soon enough, as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.