Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW 1st SO Much better than DL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Doesn't explain why DTW-west coast (LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX) evening flights get a meal but they don't to PHX.

-RM
PHX/LAS appear to be the west-coast red-headed step-children, from DTW.

Steve B.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gsupstate
I know this is a little OT (okay, more than a little! ), but I find Coach on DL to be far superior to NW. Can you say, "free snacks"? I know it's not a huge deal, but that, and the general appearance of the a/c interiors, along with some form of IFE on most flights makes DL a nicer ride in Coach.

I say this as someone who used to fly NW almost exclusively, but am now flying DL more, so I've noticed some things. Not trying to start anything!!
As a gold I wasn't aware NWA had a coach cabin....good to know
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
PHX/LAS appear to be the west-coast red-headed step-children, from DTW.

Steve B.
It's been a few months since I was on the 7:30ish DTW-LAS, but it served a dinner. So did the 7:30ish DTW-SAN.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by cnrussell
It's been a few months since I was on the 7:30ish DTW-LAS, but it served a dinner. So did the 7:30ish DTW-SAN.
No, this is not a dinner flight.
NWA.com:

Thur, Feb 7 Northwest Airlines 1189 Equipment: 757 View Seat Map »
Booking class: F/First
Fare basis code: FA0KN
Depart: 7:37 PM Detroit, MI (DTW) Meal: Food for purchase

Arrive: 9:10 PM Las Vegas, NV (LAS) Approx. flight miles: 1,755
Duration: 4 hr 33 min

I've flown this route, just drinks and snack basket. Notice the time: 4.5 hours. DEFINITELY should have a dinner.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
One other comparison

At breakfast, NW F tends to have a choice between an omelet and cereal (although they run out of cereal fast). The one breakfast flight I had on DL, you could have anything you wanted, as long as it was an omelet. (Oh, and this was a 5-hour flight.)

Last edited by DanTravels; Feb 1, 2008 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
It could be worse...have you ever flown F on US?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by spartacus
It could be worse...have you ever flown F on US?
As a US refugee, we like to call F on US C+ (coach plus!)
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I could just as easily make the outlandish claim that DL in the back is better than NW up front based on an anecdotal experience a few weeks ago.

MHT-DTW: Snack basket up front. FA offered it once and hid it for the rest of the flight. Half a can (cup) of cran-apple, and not offered anymore.

Then bumped on DTW-DFW and rerouted DTW-CVG-DFW all on Delta (Comair).

The 45 min DTW-CVG flight had a snack basket in the main (only) cabin! I was truly impressed. And the FA actually encouraged pax to take all they wanted, refilling it several times with the cheese & crackers, cookies, etc.

CVG-DFW was on one of the snazzy new 2-cabin RJ's. I was in the main cabin but with the spacious bulkhead. Again, we got the unlimited snack basket. Very impressive service.

So yes, it's YMMV. To each his own I guess.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by hnewman
DTW-MSP 528 miles
DTW-BWI 408 miles

ABQ-ATL 1267 miles

You always get breakfast MSP-DCA 931 and I agree not much MSP-MEM at 700, but expecting something at under 600 miles is not reasonable in this day and age.
Originally Posted by CGNC
I am still in shock that the 7:38p departure from DTW-PHX I flew on Friday had just a snack basket...flight time is supposed to be 4h 31m or so...
That is shocking!

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Let me get this straight.

It's CO/NW policy not to upgrade DL passengers, and vice versa.

The gate agent was nice enough to honor your ST Elite Plus status and give you an upgrade.

And you're COMPLAINING? I'm sure you would have been much happier back in coach.

Delta serves meals in flights longer than 1500 miles. On all flights, first class passengers get a reasonably extensive snack basket and, of course, all the bloody marys you can drink.
DL's policy on meals is absolutely ridiculous. I have said many times on the DL forum that on a flight like DEN-ATL or ATL-DEN, a meal should be served. It's over 3h for God's sake! I have been happy that on DTW-DEN which is 100 miles shorter than ATL-DEN, I was served a meal at meal time on DL.
By the way, some DL guy posted in reply to me that meals would be coming back on ATL-DEN type flights but I am still waiting....
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:38 pm

I flew PIT-ATL on DL last Sunday (upgrade). I've also flown PIT-MSP on NW in the past. Both pass the snack basket twice, serve drinks in glass (as compared to US with plastic ). My DL plane was more modern - 737-800 w/GPS plus short clips on the monitor. NW was a DC-9, no monitor.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: Skyteam
What's with NW having no entertainment in coach? No snacks, only drinks.

DTW-LAS - No movies, no IFE
DTW-PHX - No movies, no IFE
DTW-SEA - No movies, no IFE

At least Delta has movies or AVOD on these routes from ATL on coach.
DL also offers free CRC access from JFK to those cities if you are on First or Platinum Medallion.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
That is shocking!

DL's policy on meals is absolutely ridiculous. I have said many times on the DL forum that on a flight like DEN-ATL or ATL-DEN, a meal should be served. It's over 3h for God's sake! I have been happy that on DTW-DEN which is 100 miles shorter than ATL-DEN, I was served a meal at meal time on DL.
By the way, some DL guy posted in reply to me that meals would be coming back on ATL-DEN type flights but I am still waiting....
I have to agree with you with this one. Also DL serves no meal on ATL-TUS, MSP-ATL, SLC-MSP
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by skchin
What's with NW having no entertainment in coach? No snacks, only drinks.

DTW-LAS - No movies, no IFE
DTW-PHX - No movies, no IFE
DTW-SEA - No movies, no IFE

At least Delta has movies or AVOD on these routes from ATL on coach.
DL also offers free CRC access from JFK to those cities if you are on First or Platinum Medallion.
Hate to break it to you, but NW has NO IFE on any domestic flights at all, not even music, except to Hawaii. I was NW Worldperks; I now am DL Skymiles. I feel bad about it, but gotta go with the airline that best meets one's needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.