NW 1st SO Much better than DL

Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
NW 1st SO Much better than DL

I flew at 6:15AM ABQ-ATL on DL and got a last minute surprise upgrade because I was NW Plat. (SkyTeam Elite Plus). This is a scheduled 2H 35M flight. DL 1st served nothing for breakfast. NW always serves something. The DL seat was far less confortable with less leg room than NW.

I love my NW.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former NW WP Platinum, and Delta plat, now AA gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hnewman
I flew at 6:15AM ABQ-ATL on DL and got a last minute surprise upgrade because I was NW Plat. (SkyTeam Elite Plus). This is a scheduled 2H 35M flight. DL 1st served nothing for breakfast. NW always serves something. The DL seat was far less confortable with less leg room than NW.

I love my NW.
The real revalation here is that you got upgraded on DL! That's a freakin miracle. There must have been no one on that flight. They suck.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Actually not

Originally Posted by exree
The real revalation here is that you got upgraded on DL! That's a freakin miracle. There must have been no one on that flight. They suck.
I got the last seat in 1st and it was full in back also. Hence why I think I got it.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: Skyteam
My last 2 First Class experience on NW did not serve anything.
DTW-MSP
DTW-BWI

Nothing, nadda!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Check

Originally Posted by skchin
DTW-MSP
DTW-BWI

Nothing, nadda!
DTW-MSP 528 miles
DTW-BWI 408 miles

ABQ-ATL 1267 miles

You always get breakfast MSP-DCA 931 and I agree not much MSP-MEM at 700, but expecting something at under 600 miles is not reasonable in this day and age.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
"Which is better" depends on the route, aircraft used, crew attitudes, and service (i.e. food) provided. However, I am flying both DL and NW this year as an elite on each and I like them both in F. I have noticed that on some comparable routes that DL will serve a small meal they call a snack and NW will serve a snack basket. DL also has IFE (TV shorts) even on shorter flights. However, the legroom on the DL MD-88 leaves a lot to be desired, while the legroom on the NW Airbus flights is very good. So I think it is relative. However, both are better than coach on either!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DTW-MSP
DTW-BWI

Nothing, nadda!

You didn't bother to mention if this was pre- or post-
snack basket. Even pre-snack basket, they at least
had nuts and pretzels.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
I am still in shock that the 7:38p departure from DTW-PHX I flew on Friday had just a snack basket...flight time is supposed to be 4h 31m or so...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by CGNC
I am still in shock that the 7:38p departure from DTW-PHX I flew on Friday had just a snack basket...flight time is supposed to be 4h 31m or so...
Perhaps they had an issue with the catering service. Regardless, the pax should be notified.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by CGNC
That's really odd. The 738p departure DTW-SEA serves a full meal and it's scheduled for 4hr50mins.

I don't believe it's a catering issue as asianrick pointed out because they don't even load a snack basket on the DTW-SEA flight because it's catered for dinner. So I think the only way a snack basket showed up is because dinner isn't supposed to be served?

BTW...doing a first class search on nwa.com shows the following:
DTW-PHX (738p) has "Meal: Food For Purchase" (it's a website bug)
DTW-SEA (738p) has "Meal: Dinner"

Doesn't explain why DTW-west coast (LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX) evening flights get a meal but they don't to PHX.

-RM
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by me4yankees
"Which is better" depends on the route, aircraft used, crew attitudes, and service (i.e. food) provided. However, I am flying both DL and NW this year as an elite on each and I like them both in F. I have noticed that on some comparable routes that DL will serve a small meal they call a snack and NW will serve a snack basket. DL also has IFE (TV shorts) even on shorter flights. However, the legroom on the DL MD-88 leaves a lot to be desired, while the legroom on the NW Airbus flights is very good. So I think it is relative. However, both are better than coach on either!
IFE on shorter flights? I was on a 738 sunday...I dont consider our current position, routing etc to be IFE...I much prefer BYOIFE
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:44 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
DTW-MSP
DTW-BWI

Nothing, nadda!
I can't remember a flight in F last year that didn't at least have the snack basket, including:
MEM-MCI 393
MSP-MCI 393
DTW-RDU 501
DTW-MCI 629
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:52 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by socrates
IFE on shorter flights? I was on a 738 sunday...I dont consider our current position, routing etc to be IFE...I much prefer BYOIFE
I also prefer BYOIFE, and I resent having to close my window shade to block what I consider the best provided IFE -the window. That said, I do prefer DL's GPS rather than BYOGPS, which can be a pain getting enough satellite signals and having to shut it down before 10,000'. DL's 738s also have power, which is great for long flights, especially when combined with a tight connection making recharging impossible.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Originally Posted by ed1
I can't remember a flight in F last year that didn't at least have the snack basket, including:
MEM-MCI 393
MSP-MCI 393
DTW-RDU 501
DTW-MCI 629
I did BWI-MEM over the summer, which is 2.5 hours leaving at 5PM and it didn't have a meal or snack basket. The snack basket was a catering issue...never got loaded. But 2.5 hours leaving exactly at dinner time seems like enough for a meal to me.

I agree with the OP, however that DL first just doesn't look as nice, especially comparing MDs to DCs. Don't forget that NW still has 16 F on all mainline...DL has 14 on MD80s and 12 on MD90s (basically the same capacity as a 738). Although according to seat guru, DL F has better ..... on MDs than NW has on both DCs and A320s (37 v. 34-36).

Last edited by mkenwayx; Jan 29, 2008 at 6:31 pm
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by socrates
IFE or no IFE is a matter of personal preference. However, I see an airline offering of some sort of way to pass the time as a positive. I usually read and I do not haul many portable electronic devices with me (except a Blackberry, phone, sometimes a laptop), so I like the option of watching or listening to something without necessarily having to bring it all with me.

By short flight, I meant a mainline flight of approximately 700 miles (one hour 45 mins. to two hours), for example ATL to the NYC area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.