Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Demolition at Berry terminal at DTW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic

On Friday, I noticed that the northernmost gate at the International (Berry) terminal was demolished. Is that terminal coming down now?
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:21 am

Two gates are being torn down to make way for a new NW hangar.

from The Detroit News, 3/8/01:
AIRPORT GETS $50 MILLION HANGAR
Detroit Metro to tear down international gates to build facility for Northwest's giant 747s
By Paul Egan / The Detroit News

What's next
* December 2001: A mile-long, $1.2-billion Midfield Terminal at Detroit Metropolitan Airport is set to open.
* 2002: Work begins on renovating the Davey Terminal with a 29-gate concourse and new stores, restaurants and services.
* 2003: Northwest Airlines opens a $50-million hangar to service 747s.
* 2006: Work on the Davey Terminal is completed, after which the Smith Terminal will be demolished.

ROMULUS -- Detroit Metropolitan Airport will demolish two of six gates at the Berry International Terminal so Northwest Airlines can build a $50-million hangar to service its giant 747s.
Having the 132,000-square-foot facility for jumbo jets at Metro Airport should mean fewer delays and cancellations, Northwest Airlines spokesman Matt Friedman said Wednesday. It reflects Detroit's importance as a departure point for flights to Asia on which 747s are used, Friedman said.
"Detroit is the hub where the service to the Pacific for Northwest will be growing in the future," Friedman said.
In the last year, Northwest has added or expanded service from Detroit to Shanghai, China, and Nagoya, Japan. Both cities are served by 747s.
The massive hangar, which can service two of the 403-seat passenger planes, will replace an existing hangar that won't quite hold one of the airplanes, said Donald Stolt, a corporate systems architect for Northwest.
Its construction will be one of the last pieces in the $2-billion project that includes a mile-long Midfield Terminal and a fourth parallel runway slated to open in December.
Construction on the maintenance facility will start in 2002 and be completed in 2003, Stolt said.
The Midfield Terminal will have 10 international gates for Northwest and other international carriers. The four remaining gates at the Berry Terminal will be used by international charter carriers, airport spokeswoman Barbara Hogan said.
Two gates need to be demolished because the new hangar will be close to the Berry Terminal, between it and Northwest's hangar for DC-10s.
Stolt said the hangar will be equipped with a 15-ton crane for hoisting engines but will mainly be used for scheduled maintenance and minor repairs, not major overhauls.
"Having the facility here means you can deal with those kind of line maintenance issues more quickly and make sure the ... aircraft is ready to fly," he said.
Hogan said the facility also will mean more jobs for mechanics, though Northwest officials said they don't know how many jobs will be added.
Northwest's 510-jet fleet has 47 Boeing 747s. Two more are scheduled for delivery in 2002.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 2:40 pm

ummm.... didn't they just build a giant tin shed (i.e. hangar) just north of Berry International Terminal two years ago? That thing doesn't hold a 747?

Old Sep 8, 2002, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Yeah, they've been doing some site work in front of the Berry terminal for a few months now. A few years back NW built the new hanger that is currently there for their DC-10's. The new hanger will be between the DC-10 hanger and the Berry terminal. This one will be meant for 747's.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 3:02 pm

Berry terminal is a big building for just four gates. I bet the long term plans are to demolish the whole thing.

Old Sep 8, 2002, 4:12 pm

The Barry Terminal was built to accomodate charters. International arrivals were added later. Since the international flights are moving to the Midfield terminal, and charter flights have been on the decline for years (the two primiary carriers - Champion/serving primairly NW's MLT Vacations arm and ATA - have reduced their schedules almost 80% in recent years), there is no need for 6 gates. Yet DTW officials would still like to separate charter and scheduled traffic (maybe because some charters operate internationally?).
Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DJMeatBall:
ummm.... didn't they just build a giant tin shed (i.e. hangar) just north of Berry International Terminal two years ago? That thing doesn't hold a 747?

</font>
I don't believe it does. I think when they built it the 747 hangar was already planned. One of the NW hangars just west of 22L can hold a 747 (although the A/C does not completely fit into the hangar...the tail sticks out of it). The overnight 747-400 gets worked in that hangar. The new 747 hangar will fit 2 whales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.