Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

U.S. Airlines' Secret Million-Mile Awards- Where is NW ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Airlines' Secret Million-Mile Awards- Where is NW ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down U.S. Airlines' Secret Million-Mile Awards- Where is NW ??

Saw this in Yahoo News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200707...lionmileawards

NW not even close..
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: NWA Plat
Originally Posted by BDQBDQ
Saw this in Yahoo News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/200707...lionmileawards

NW not even close..
Last week, I saw a guy sit in fromt of me has a "NW million miler" tag on his suitcase.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I'm only about 400K short of that mark
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I'm only about 400K short of that mark
In terms of CFM (Credited Flight Miles)? Not sure, but that non-published figure (which you can get WC agents to print out for you) may be the number they use. I forget how it's derived... think it doesn't count any kind of bonus miles, but I dunno whether there's a 500-mile-per-segment minimum. Radiocycle or thezipper probably know.

I'm nowhere near MM by any method of measuring.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I called the other day was less then I thought. I know the 500 min applies, but unsure if partner miles count, as I fly a lot on DL & CO, 30%, because of schedules.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: DL 2MM GM
I recently asked in the WC and I was listed as a million miler, (going on 3 mm total miles) but have never received as much as a letter from NWA.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:23 am

I passed the million mile mark (all kinds) with NW in May and have not heard anything. I would guess only half is "in the seat" mileage.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:26 am

NW used to have an official MM program, but then they abandoned it due to costs.

My guess is if you stuck around long enough to be MM without an explicit program in place, whatever little trinket they give you (be it a bag tag, a pen, a certificate, a pat on the back) won't really matter much.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking maybe they want BIS on NW metal for 1 million miles (with, or harder still without, the 500 minimum per segment) but like I said, RC or Zipper would know. (I guess Scoopy might, too... but RC and Zipper are the kinds of guys who'd have that status!)
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
whatever little trinket they give you (be it a bag tag, a pen, a certificate, a pat on the back) won't really matter much.
But lifetime Gold at 2, 3 or even 4MM would. I believe NW will roll something real (not the bag tag, though I will cross the MM threshold next year and was hoping to get it )out in the next few years. This will become a marketing requirement as the boomers and genX'ers start to think about retirement. I for one want to enjoy travel in my retirement years (as opposed to the semi-grind it is for work…just got back from AMS for the 3’rd time this month) and if I have to switch to AA or DL for the last 6-7 years of my working life to get extended benefits I will. I am, of course, VERY happy with NW at the moment and by my calculations they have about 10 years to roll something out or I have to re-focus elsewhere. I will cross that bridge when I get to it but it is something that many folks are starting to look at.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I for one want to enjoy travel in my retirement years (as opposed to the semi-grind it is for work….
Well, presumably you'd be able to do that will all those millions of miles you've racked up...
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Well, presumably you'd be able to do that will all those millions of miles you've racked up...
Touche!
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
I think that a MM program would be a fine idea indeed as we have discussed from time to time. That having been said, as long as all elites are entitled to free upgrades, I cannot see them making that a benefit of the program, but if they gave access to "P" seating, elite line access, perhaps increased access to award inventory, personally I think it would endear good will amongst the faithful.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avidflyer
am, of course, VERY happy with NW at the moment and by my calculations they have about 10 years to roll something out or I have to re-focus elsewhere.
I'm in a similar boat, but a fair way behind avid - I'm not even anywhere near 1MM yet, and only on my 2nd year of elite status, so anything they might be thinking about for high mileage, maintaining elite status for a decade, or any other signs of extreme loyalty wouldn't even apply to me for probably another 7-8 years anyway.

I'm kind of happy being in this position, since I can advocate for things that will not immediately benefit (or make any difference at all to) me. ^
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
I would welcome some sort of lifetime status for those golden years. It's the one lacking benefit that makes me question staying with NWA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.