Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Retaliation on AA's New LGA-MSP flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retaliation on AA's New LGA-MSP flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by rasmcasm
I doubt AA will see much dilution with 3x vs their 15x daily.
I don't think the intent here is to take market share.

This is by all accounts a profitable route. If NW comes in and charges marginally less than AA, they will pack those 319s. AA knows this, and will undoubtedly reduce fares to match.

NW has the advantage of lower operating costs (A319 v. MD-80) and much lower labor costs. So NW could set a price that is theoretically profitable, assuming a reasonable load factor. AA, however, probably would lose money at the same price, even with full planes, and the only way they can keep NW from making money is matching their fares. Since AA won't allow NW to profit, they'll have to take the loss.

No one will make any money, but AA will probably lose a great deal more than NW by virtue of having 15 flights. If the market is lucrative enough, they would conceivably reach an equilibrium where both would profit, but that's assuming these airlines act rationally, which in the case of protecting turf they almost certainly are not.

The same thing is happening on a smaller scale with MSP-LGA.

My guess is that this hurts AA more than NW given the disparity in costs, which is probably why NW has chose to retaliate. In the past, they've avoided direct conflict with an airline with the resources of AA. Looks like a reasonable move to me.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
With all due respect to your home airport, I don't believe LAS flights are meant to drive profits. I think they're basically loss-leaders to NW. They have to serve the market because the demand is there, but the demand to pay high fares isn't. Adding routes of LAS-Podunk USA was never designed to be profitable, but to try and snag those once a year travelers that like to visit LAS. They're trying to maintain their name and reputation in the Midwest so that when Grandma and Grandpa take their next flight to somewhere else, they can say "oh, yes Northwest [Orient], they took me to Vegas and I remember them from many years ago. I'll take them when I fly to Milwaukee to visit my grandchildren instead of something "AirTran"..." etc.

So I don't think the route additions and subtractions out of LAS are necessarily a good comparison to the LGA-DFW route.
I do in fact believe that route additions from LAS are a decent comparison to the LGA-DFW route. With the exception of LAS-LAX and LAS-IND, all of the flights were added in response to another carrier adding a flight in the homeland markets and I don't believe NW ever thought it would earn a nickel on most of them, they were added purely to run the competitor out, sometimes sucessfully, sometimes not. During BK, and hopefully now as well, NW shouldn't be operating many if any flights that are "loss leaders" and I would venture to say, at this point, there is no flight operating right now out of LAS for NW that is losing money. The fares/yield is in fact lower out of LAS, yes, but the load factor is always the first or second highest in the system (with MCO) which helps make up for the lower fares. Secondly, I don't think NW, or any legacy carrier for that matter, attempts to cater to the leisure/once-a-year traveler...for one reason if any, is that they are highly price-oriented and book the lowest fare without much loyalty to any carrier. They might book NW for their FSD-LAS flight this year, but if AirTran is $10 less on the MCO flight they take on the next vacation, they'll do it...and if they have to drive to MSP to do it, so be it. It would be a near-fruitless effort, and probably an expensive one, to attempt to lure the bargain-fare/once-a-year travelers.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Vegas Agent
The fares/yield is in fact lower out of LAS, yes,
Recently, fares to LAS from LGA have spiked quite a bit higher. I'm sure east coast routes to LAS are highly profitable.

Of course, the idea with LGA-DFW is to gain market share (taking a short-term hit) and then raise prices (leading to long-term gain).
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Use both AA and NWA and frequent NYC......AA's new route is a + for MSP.....they offer good service and competition helps all of us......the AC vs WC at LGA are generations apart.....remember too AA has direct (odd times now) from MIA to MSP.....I predict AA will continue to slowly boost MSP service and remember their other connections (so now MSP-LGA; MSP-MIA; MSP-ORD; MSP-DFW; and MSP-?).....maybe an AC is next for MSP.....just a hunch....
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by bcj1949
remember their other connections (so now MSP-LGA; MSP-MIA; MSP-ORD; MSP-DFW; and MSP-?).....maybe an AC is next for MSP.....just a hunch....
Don't forget the STL.

I don't know if an AC is in the picture for MSP. I think they'd have to wrestle with TSA for some square footage, IIRC...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:56 pm

Using NW's own presentation from last week we know that NW will have a labor advantage of $10/seat on that route. Add a couple dollars to that for the better planes. It's something, but not a huge advantage over time. They'll have to be aggressive with prices and miles if they really want to put the hurt on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.