FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Retaliation on AA's New LGA-MSP flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/704388-retaliation-aas-new-lga-msp-flights.html)

PVGMSP Jun 15, 2007 9:24 am

Retaliation on AA's New LGA-MSP flights

http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/newsc/20...520071850.html

Now, is this smart? :confused: I thought NW is not strong in either DFW or NYC market. AA has a very good customer base in the NYC.

Is AA offering any super low fares for LGA-MSP?

MKEbound Jun 15, 2007 9:26 am

Does NW offer any other point-to-point flights out of LGA or DFW?

This seems like an odd route.

SchmutzigMSP Jun 15, 2007 9:29 am

ROFL. Odd indeed. This one's a bit of a head scratcher. Perhaps NW is looking at the passenger connection rate on flights ex-DFW and ex-LGA and are finding most people continuing onto DFW or LGA when departing out of the other city? EUAs should be pretty decent I would think...

MKEbound Jun 15, 2007 9:45 am

Maybe this will lead to some good opportunities for MRs that include the LGA-DFW segment.

PVGMSP Jun 15, 2007 9:52 am

NW's LGA_DFW flights start on the same day as AA's LGA-MSP

See -
http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr...9_lgamsp.jhtml

JTMSP Jun 15, 2007 9:57 am

YOWZA! Talk about retaliation. One would think there are more profitable routes to deploy those A319s on. Should be interesting to see how long this service lasts. Could make for a decent little MR, MSP-DFW-LGA. Best of luck nonetheless.

SchmutzigMSP Jun 15, 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by JTMSP (Post 7907603)
YOWZA! Talk about retaliation. One would think there are more profitable routes to deploy those A319s on. Should be interesting to see how long this service lasts. Could make for a decent little MR, MSP-DFW-LGA. Best of luck nonetheless.

I'm guessing routing on the cheap fares will be restricted to the nonstop flight. Connecting through MSP would probably refare as LGA-MSP MSP-DFW.

N830MH Jun 15, 2007 10:27 am

NW new non-stop from DFW-LGA

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070615/20070615005389.html?.v=1

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Dallas and New York
Friday June 15, 10:40 am ET
Three daily weekday, two daily weekend flights to start Sept. 5

EAGAN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Northwest Airlines (NYSE:NWA - News) today announced new service between Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and New York's LaGuardia International Airport (LGA) beginning Sept. 5, 2007.
The new service will be operated with Northwest's modern Airbus A319 aircraft, which feature 16 seats in first class and 108 seats in coach class.

"We are pleased to offer these new nonstop frequencies between Dallas and New York's LaGuardia airport. Business travelers in particular will appreciate the conveniently timed morning, afternoon and evening flights," said Tom Bach, vice president of network planning & revenue management.

The new flights between Dallas/Forth Worth and LaGuardia are open for sale through www.nwa.com, Northwest Airlines Reservations at 1-800-225-2525, or through travel agencies.

New Dallas - New York LaGuardia Service

Flight number: Departs: Arrives:

NW 1165(a) 7:00 a.m. 11:30 a.m.
NW 1167 12:00 p.m. 4:30 p.m.
NW 1171(b) 5:00 p.m. 9:35 p.m.
(a)Operates daily except Sunday
(b)Operates daily except Saturday

New York LaGuardia - Dallas Service

Flight number: Departs: Arrives:

NW 1168(a) 8:00 a.m. 10:55 a.m.
NW 1178 1:00 p.m. 3:45 p.m.
NW 1166(b) 5:30 p.m. 8:15 p.m.
(a)Operates daily except Sunday
(b)Operates daily except Saturday

Customers currently holding tickets for travel Sept. 5, 2007 or beyond on all connecting itineraries from Dallas to New York's LaGuardia will be able to change to Northwest's new nonstop service without paying an administrative change fee, provided changes are made by July 15, 2007.

Northwest Airlines is one of the world's largest airlines with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam, and approximately 1,400 daily departures. Northwest is a member of SkyTeam, an airline alliance that offers customers one of the world's most extensive global networks. Northwest and its travel partners serve more than 900 cities in excess of 160 countries on six continents.

SfoDtwFlr Jun 15, 2007 10:27 am

Huh?

Since LGA is an AA focus city (and former headquarters) it seems like there would be a lot of routes that NWA could have picked as retaliation. It seems strange to me that they would pick DFW given that AA rules that airport and that they fly jets there. I would put the A319s on a route to a non-hub where AA primarily flies RJs. That way there is built in marketing: “Sick of those puny regional jets? NW now offers service from LaGuardia to XXX on the 124-passenger Airbus A319!” I think this would attract a lot of New Yorkers who much prefer LGA over JFK or Newark.

PVGMSP Jun 15, 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JTMSP (Post 7907603)

Let's hope NW will offer 3X EQMs for LGA-DFW, just like what they did for MSP-LAX to kill off Frontier's new MSP-LAX n/s a couple of years ago. :D

PVGMSP Jun 15, 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by SfoDtwFlr (Post 7907803)
Since LGA is an AA focus city (and former headquarters) it seems like there would be a lot of routes that NWA could have picked as retaliation. It seems strange to me that they would pick DFW given that AA rules that airport and that they fly jets there. I would put the A319s on a route to a non-hub where AA primarily flies RJs. That way there is built in marketing: “Sick of those puny regional jets? NW now offers service from LaGuardia to XXX on the 124-passenger Airbus A319!” I think this would attract a lot of New Yorkers who much prefer LGA over JFK or Newark.

^
And how many AA flights a day on LGA-DFW? 15 each way!!

bk42 Jun 15, 2007 11:46 am

It may not be a good move on NW's financial sheet, or by logic, but it sure is fun watching/racking up the bonus miles! :D

Vegas Agent Jun 15, 2007 11:52 am

Yes, an odd route indeed. There seems to be no limit into what NW will do to protect a market.

I had been told once by one of the yield-management types that it only takes about 10-12 passengers per flight (I suppose this would vary somewhat depending on the aircraft) to make or break a flight...in other words, should NW be able to coax some of AA's customers on the DFW-MSP route, or AA do the same on the MSP-LGA route, it could make the route unprofitable for the other carrier. That being said, I think there are times when you just have to let the competition do there thing and not cut your own wrist trying to scare them away...the A319s could be easily utilized out of LAS to alot of places...and they would be almost guaranteed full...yes, at low fares, but I'm guessing the DFW-LGA flights are going to run at less than 50% load-factor and will rarely catch a business traveler that AA has locked up in both cities. I suppose the next question would be, what markets were sacraficed to get the 319s to fly this route?

IceTrojan Jun 15, 2007 12:03 pm

Here's to hoping for an LAX-MSP-LGA MR with a 3X bonus for cheap.... on AA of course.

I love airline wars.

SchmutzigMSP Jun 15, 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Vegas Agent (Post 7908239)
That being said, I think there are times when you just have to let the competition do there thing and not cut your own wrist trying to scare them away...

Awfully early to predict that this route would have the effect of "cutting their wrists", isn't it?

but I'm guessing the DFW-LGA flights are going to run at less than 50% load-factor and will rarely catch a business traveler that AA has locked up in both cities.

Why? Do you know what percentage of ex-LGA passengers continue onto DFW through one of NW's hubs? If so, please share as I think that could be one of the numbers they've looked at when considering this odd move. This could also snag some DL/CO fliers who would prefer LGA to JFK or EWR, especially since DL's 3 daily nonstops from NYC-DFW are currently operated by regional jets. Think outside the box here.

I suppose the next question would be, what markets were sacraficed to get the 319s to fly this route?

How do you know any markets were sacraficed [sic]? Didn't NW have some 319s in the desert? Perhaps they're planning on pulling one or more out? Or perhaps the some number of the 76 new regional jets coming online are going to replace the workload of an A319 which can now be freed up to do something else?

If you know things we don't, please share them. Otherwise, I think it's too early to speculate that they're "cutting their wrists" and sacrificing other destinations.