CO EAU and other issues

Old May 17, 07, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
CO EAU and other issues

I am probably going to have to take a flight on CO rather than NW due to fairly extreme price differences between the two. Having read the NW website, I have the impression that EAU works the same for CO as it does for NW, but what is the practical reality -- do I have the same UG chances as a Gold as I do on NW? It looks like I will get 100% EQM based on fare class, which is the other issue I was concerned about . . . . anything else I should consider?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 07, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; HH DIA; AClub, PC Plat; MR Gold
Elite upgrades on CO occur much less frequently than on NW. More people seem to purchase FC tickets on CO than NW, and many CO planes have fewer FC seats in the first place. As a NW Plat, I'm maybe 50% on upgrades on CO whereas I'm about 90-95% on NW.

If you fly coach, generally it is better on CO because they still have IFE on longer flights as well as "meals at mealtimes". On NW, you get nada.
Old May 17, 07, 12:03 pm

The first thing you need to check on CO is that you are not flying an RJ

But really. Gold UG's are hard to come by. All factors that influence UG's route (if its a transcon just forget about it), time of day, day of week, etc apply.

Don't forget that CO UG's by fare basis so your cheap fare puts you even farther down the list.
Old May 17, 07, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
How about seat selection (i.e., do I get to choose premium seats like I would as a NW Gold)? I will be taking a transcon (SEA-EWR-SEA), but eastbound will be a red eye, so maybe it will be less full, and it would be nice to sleep.
Old May 17, 07, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by otralot View Post
The first thing you need to check on CO is that you are not flying an RJ

But really. Gold UG's are hard to come by. All factors that influence UG's route (if its a transcon just forget about it), time of day, day of week, etc apply.

Don't forget that CO UG's by fare basis so your cheap fare puts you even farther down the list.
As a plat I rarely sit in back on CO. One time in about 30 legs. I do buy the occasional Y fare, however, but I get upgraded even on cheaper fares. As far as I understand I am behind CO plats, but ahead of CO golds...
Old May 17, 07, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by vbjd1111 View Post
How about seat selection (i.e., do I get to choose premium seats like I would as a NW Gold)? I will be taking a transcon (SEA-EWR-SEA), but eastbound will be a red eye, so maybe it will be less full, and it would be nice to sleep.
Yes, you sure do. CO.com will recognize your NW elite status and allow you to choose the blue "P" seats on the CO website.

You are eligible for EUA (not EAU) behind CO Plats, NW Plats and CO Golds and, of course, any elite on a Y fare.

The red-eye to EWR is just as full as their daily flights (the only one that doesn't fill up so quickly is the 4pm depature that lands in EWR at 1215am).

As a NW Plat, I am probably 75% successful in getting upgrades on CO. It's just much, much harder than on NW.

-RM
Old May 18, 07, 4:35 am

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, *Wood PLT / Lifetime Gold, Marriott PLT
Another point of reference

Iím about 50% getting upgrades on CO as a NW Gold. Since my flights with them are usually xxx-iah-sfo or sfo-iah-xxx, and I would assume that the SFO flights are elite heavy, I am pretty happy with that figure. Also, I am usually flying on a lower (50% EQM) fare class.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: