Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

MSP Underground Tram -- Jog in tunnel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, National Emerald Club Elite, Radisson Gold

I alway notice the "jog" in the underground tram that runs between the main terminal the the parking/transit center at MSP. The ride is smooth, but I always need to hang on at the point in the trip where a jog in the line occurs. Does anyone know why the jog occurs? Is there some sort of utility or building piling in the way?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:03 pm

Aw. I thought this thread was going to have a creative idea for where to exercise during long layovers.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
My guess was that it was a thread about the tram being broken, and people jogging down the tunnel to get to their flights.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:15 am

I'm not sure why it "jogs", but many other trams also "jog". The main tram inside DTW does as well as the outdoor tram at MSP.

Is it really a big deal?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Ditto on here at PIT! . . . I think the'ye even built here!!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Always thought that jog was a bit insane for such a short run.

Other pax were commenting about it during one ride. Pax remarked that, due to the inherent slack in the cable drive, the jog is intentional to keep the tension for the cable drive.

Initially thought this was bunk, but have noticed that the C/B tram run is not straight either -- nor is the DTW tramway. Hmmm, there may be something to this...........
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
And I thought we have already discussed everything on FT about NW and the airline industries
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Pick2LiteMSP
Always thought that jog was a bit insane for such a short run.

Other pax were commenting about it during one ride. Pax remarked that, due to the inherent slack in the cable drive, the jog is intentional to keep the tension for the cable drive.

Initially thought this was bunk, but have noticed that the C/B tram run is not straight either -- nor is the DTW tramway. Hmmm, there may be something to this...........
At DTW, they have what is essentially a single track system with a place in the middle where the two cars can pass ---

I haven't ridden the system at MSP often enough to notice, but wonder if there's a place for the cars to pass there.

Bob H
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
My opinion, at least in the case of PIT is:
The system only has 2 stops - Landside and Airside. 2 trams - 2 separate tracks. Back and forth. That's it. At both ends, both trains jog over - OUTWARD - just before stopping. Now, there's also an emergency evacuation tunnel that runs down the middle between the two tracks. So, I think the trams jog OUTWARD to allow a larger waiting area at the two ends where the cars board. If they didn't jog OUTWARD, then either the waiting areas at both ends would have to be smaller or the tunnel in the middle would have to be wider - for the entire 1.1 (I think) miles, which would have cost more than using a narrower tunnel and flaring out at the ends to allow for a wider boarding area. Does that make any sense?

Last edited by davetravels; Apr 24, 2007 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
And I thought we have already discussed everything on FT about NW and the airline industries
You have reached the end of the internet. Please turn around and go the other way.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Originally Posted by themicah
Aw. I thought this thread was going to have a creative idea for where to exercise during long layovers.
That's what I thought. I was pretty excited about the possibility, no need to spent entire layovers munching cheese and crackers in the World Club
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by davetravels
.....tunnel in the middle would have to be wider - for the entire 1.1 (I think) miles, which would have...
Not quite that long -- only seems like it after a long week and a long flight!

1,100 feet!

http://www.mspairport.com/msp/expans.../hub_tram.aspx

Last edited by Xyzzy; Apr 24, 2007 at 12:53 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pick2LiteMSP

Not quite that long -- only seems like it after a long week and a long flight!

1,100 feet!

http://www.mspairport.com/msp/expans.../hub_tram.aspx
I was referring to the tram in Pittsburgh and why I think IT flares out at the end and maybe it's the same reason at MSP
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by BobH
At DTW, they have what is essentially a single track system with a place in the middle where the two cars can pass ---

I haven't ridden the system at MSP often enough to notice, but wonder if there's a place for the cars to pass there.

Bob H
The C/B/A tram (outdoors) at MSP is also a single track cable pull system (similar to DTW) with the "jog" near the middle to allow for the cars to pass each other in opposite directions.

I have not been on the underground/parking tram at MSP.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
The basement tram at IAH also has a number of different jogs in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.