Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

DTW socked in with 'Freezing Fog' - Is anybody else stuck here with me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW socked in with 'Freezing Fog' - Is anybody else stuck here with me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Yesterday was quite a mess at DTW. The freezing fog developed a lot more than expected. It got up to near 40 the day before and melted a lot of snow but then it got down to 15 overnight, well below the dew point and heavy fog developed right around daybreak. From about 7:30am -10am it was very heavy around DTW.

Problem was that most of the first departures had already left from the East Coast and were enroute. The fog developed all over southern & mid-Michigan and the Ohio River Valley, thus rendering most of the traditional DTW alternates unavailable too.

Many flights were already on approach into DTW and then were waved off.

The 7:30am-8:30am Arrival bank yesterday looked like this:
FNT (5) got 1 Saab & 4 CRJ's: MQT, UNV, ELM, ABE, SWF
MBS (2) got 2 Saab's: CRW & APN
TVC (7) got 1 A319 & 6 CRJ's: EWR, HPN, ROA, LEX, RIC, ERI, TYS
PLN (2) got 2 Saab's: ITH, PLN (returned)
APN (2) got 2 Saab's: CHO, MKG (can you imagine going CHO-APN on a Saab)
GRB (4) got 1 CRJ, 1 752, 1 A319, 1 A320: CHS, MSP, BDL, CLT
BUF (3) got 2 A319 1 D9S: MHT, RDU, PHL
MKE (6) got 1 CRJ, 1 D95, 2 D9S, 1 A319, 1 752: YOW, SYR, ORF, ROC, DCA, LGA
PIT (5) got 1 CRJ, 1 A320, 1 752, 1 D95, 1 D9S: PWM, PVD, BOS, YYZ, ALB
YXU (2) got 2 Saab's: YKF, YXU (returned)
LBE: (1) 1 Saab, returned back

The other short hops (17) (FNT, LAN, GRR, AZO, TVC, TOL, MSN, ORD, MKE, IND, FWA, SBN, CVG, CMH, CLE, CAK, PIT) were held before they took off.

Of that entire arrival bank, only 3 flights got in befor the airport closed: BWI, IAD, and LAX. As you can see why DTW was such a mess yesterday with aircraft diverted all over the Great Lakes. Once the airport reopened they had to bring all those flights in, regroup and attempt to pick up the schedule for the rest of the day. It was quite a mess, as the fog rolled in at the worst possible time.

Its pretty rare that places like TVC, PLN, & APN are used as DTW alternates, but they had to fly far enough north to where it was colder and not fogged in.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr
I will have to write and ask for segment and mileage credit for the LAN-DTW portion of the trip.
Good luck. I have driven from DTW-LAN when the last flight was cancelled and was told no way Jose... I did not fly it no credit... Let me know how it works out. Of course I could have driven back to DTW the next day and flown the segment, but my time is worth more that the 500 EQM's.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Bigpops
Good luck. I have driven from DTW-LAN when the last flight was cancelled and was told no way Jose... I did not fly it no credit... Let me know how it works out. Of course I could have driven back to DTW the next day and flown the segment, but my time is worth more that the 500 EQM's.
I just got off the phone with the Worldperks service center. Had the exact opposite experience. Was given the credit for LAN-DTW with no issues. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.