Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

DTW socked in with 'Freezing Fog' - Is anybody else stuck here with me?

Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:28 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

It's 11:30 AM now. I've been here since 5AM - SFO RedEye. First 2 flights to PIT delayed - diverted (inbound) - then cancelled!! The 3rd flight was overbooked, so they wouldn't put me on it - I had to put up a fight to get on the 4th flight of the day, since it was full too!
So, I'm sitting at gate A23, at the moment - - killing time til my new 5PM flight to PIT . . . . is anyone else stuck here? - - maybe wants to say hi?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by davetravels
It's 11:30 AM now. I've been here since 5AM - SFO RedEye. First 2 flights to PIT delayed - diverted (inbound) - then cancelled!! The 3rd flight was overbooked, so they wouldn't put me on it - I had to put up a fight to get on the 4th flight of the day, since it was full too!
So, I'm sitting at gate A23, at the moment - - killing time til my new 5PM flight to PIT . . . . is anyone else stuck here? - - maybe wants to say hi?
You're a platinum and they won't bump someone else???
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Nope! They said they wouldn't!! They were only offering me the 7:15 PM flight - I griped - so they did put me on the 5PM - it was showing all zeroes. I looked at the availablity early on and there was availability on the 1:30 PM. Then it was all gone! I would've thought I'd get at least a tad of priority - even on a cheap ticket!!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:39 am

Have you tried calling the PE line? They might be able to do more for you, especially for reroutes on another carrier.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
The sad part is you could drive there quicker!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Yup! The PE line wouldn't put me on the 1st overbooked flight! And I know I could drive there faster - - first, no cars available. Second, I'm way too tired!

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 21, 2007 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:09 am

Next time, just connect through MSP.

I don't know why DTW has had so many silly little weather incidents this year. It seems above average, even for DTW.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:23 am
Original Poster

The sad part is that when I booked this ticket ages ago, I was arriving from SFO around 5AM & leaving at 6 something but they changed the first flight to PIT to 8:12AM! If there would've still been a 6 something flight, I think I would've beat the fog! The MSP redeye connection was even worse.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
The sad part is that when I booked this ticket ages ago, I was arriving from SFO around 5AM & leaving at 6 something but they changed the first flight to PIT to 8:12AM! If there would've still been a 6 something flight, I think I would've beat the fog! The MSP redeye connection was even worse.
True, the first MSP-PIT flight is at 10:30am. But...you'd be well on your way now, wouldn't you.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I was going to try stand-by on the 1:31 OM flight but now IT'S been cancelled too!! That makes 3 in a row canx! So, I'm confirmed on the next one - at 5:09 PM. The one after that - at 7:15 PM was showing Y9 - but they've zeroed out that one!! I talked to a number of business people at the different gates who told me that they were going to just cancel there trips today, but with 3 flights in a row being cancelled, I'm sure there must be quite a few people who are going to keep trying to get out today until something actually does take off!! It's a total zoo here!!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Next time, just connect through MSP.

I don't know why DTW has had so many silly little weather incidents this year. It seems above average, even for DTW.
I think it's called global warming ! The lakes froze later than normal, so we now have lots of snow on the ground and now it's warmer and the snow's been melting creating fog, but it feezes when it hits cold surfaces -- etc.

From what I've heard on Detroit TV, DTW was closed for about 90 minutes -- but with lots of diversions/cancellations ---

Bob H
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
That stinks; tried a few alternate combinations, but nothing was working out except a DCA connection to US, which would arrive at 5:15, but only a 45 minute connect in DCA, not enough with a delay to re-clear security.

EDIT: I misread that, so there was no connection in CLE like I was suggesting (now deleted).

Last edited by Phil2016; Feb 21, 2007 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
We've had several bouts periods of inclement weather this year, although it has been warm overall. Seems like most of the seasons' rough spots have been this past month though.

I'm sure you never get crummy weather in Minneapolis, right?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by nathockens
I'm sure you never get crummy weather in Minneapolis, right?
We sure don't go totally nuts when we have less than optimal weather.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thanx for your help trying to find me alt routings! I had a DTW/MSP/PIT set up, but I was afraid that the flight would leave the gate here and sit for a while causing me to miss my connection in MSP and I'd be stuck there forever!! It ended up being delayed again and wouldn't have worked out anyway! I think I'll just keep what I have and see what happens!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.