Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747-200 Retirement DO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Hey, it looks like I will make you NW guys' 742 DO in Saipan, 100% purely by coincidence. Well, not the very last flight, but AFIK the 2nd to last flight. NW76 NRT-SPN, 1 Sept. It's funny since it was totally unplanned and I had no idea there was even anything unusual about the flight. In fact I am not even going to Saipan, it just worked out that way. I'm getting into NRT early in the morning 1 Sept. and needed a Skyteam solution to get me to MNL. NW19 NRT-MNL doesn't leave until 19:15 and I really didn't want to spend the whole day at NRT. I could fly KE to ICN and catch KE8623 but that takes even longer. So crazy as it sounds, for me, the fastest way to get from NRT to MNL on Skyteam that day turned out to be NW76,CO895 NRT-SPN-MNL. Sure it takes me about 1200 miles further then I need to go but it still gets me into MNL 4 hours 20 minutes faster than any other option. So I booked it. When I went to get seat assignments I noticed NW76 was a 742. Surprised, I thought "damn, they're still flying them things". Since it struck me as unusual, I went and looked up what I could find about NW 742's and discovered there are apparently no other 742 flights scheduled after 1 Sept. So I figured I better look up that detail on FT and sure enough you guys were on it. So if you see a CO/BR guy randomly bumble through the middle of your Saipan NW 742 DO, on some oddball route to MNL,,, that would be me. Never been to Saipan before. I have no idea what is there. I suppose if any of you guys are there I will pass you in the airport. Does anyone know if Saipan has any kind of Skyteam lounge? It is kind of a kick to be flying the (second to) last flight of a vintage plane.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:53 am

The 742 is a magnificent plane as all model 747 are,
unsurpassed. Wonderful upstairs with only 12 seats.
Some years ago, I forgot which carrier, some airline
( was it an all cargo or just a carrier with a separate
cargo operation ) would sell upper deck seats at
very comparable prices. Maybe it was even us, PANAM.
You needed to sign all kind of waivers because there
was no service whatsoever and safety regulations
were questionable. But remember, animal attendants
fly up there all the time with their horses, zoo animals
and whatsoever. NW SCOOP, another way to look at
revenue increases? Oh, just kidding! Sort of the passenger
on a ocean cargo ship. I certainly would enjoy the ride
and gladly bring my own sandwich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.