Search

747-200 Retirement DO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by bk42
The 742s might stay for a while, because the pilots can rotate with the cargo and charter flights, and as long as they are keeping the 742Fs, they can keep maintaining these beach capacity flights. In the short term, there aren't any planes that can replace the capacity of these 742s. And we all know the A330s could be used elsewhere, should they so choose.
Good point, I guess mechanically, maintenance would be pretty similar for the 742 and 742F! But then, they've got a bunch of 744s as well, and those are presumably newer... but I don't know whether their operating cost is any lower.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:25 pm
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
Count me in.
I call 86-A
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Is the retirement of an aircraft (model only) justification for a retirement DO?

I was on Ship 1161 (DC10-40) on its last scheduled service the day the DC10-40's were pulled out of scheduled service. At the time we didn't have a retirement DO because it was a subtype of the DC10's. The SC10-30's were still flying. We also didn't have one for ther DC9-10's when they were retired because the DC9-30/40/50's are still flying.

Think we should wait until the 744's are retired?

RC
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Radiocycle

RC
Naah, we'll be flying 747-8s then.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
I was on Ship 1161 (DC10-40) on its last scheduled service the day the DC10-40's were pulled out of scheduled service. At the time we didn't have a retirement DO because it was a subtype of the DC10's. The SC10-30's were still flying. We also didn't have one for ther DC9-10's when they were retired because the DC9-30/40/50's are still flying.

RC
I think the 200 is "more different" than the 400 compared to other models - particularly the upper deck, which those who have posted - including me - found to be a very special place. I don't think there are any more aircraft with the cozy feel of the upper deck of a 747-200. My first, first class experience was a bump from a cancelled Eastern airlines flight from Seattle, where I was astonishingly given a seat in the upper deck on a UA flight to ORD. I had my choice of trout or a steak, and was served an enormous glass of scotch as a pre-departure drink (in a glass). I had a hangover by the time I got home! My first taste of Starbucks coffee was on this flight too. I will miss this aircraft. I miss the service level of the old days too...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Naah, we'll be flying 747-8s then.
At this rate, by the time the last variant of the 747 stops flying, most of us will have stopped flying.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by DanTravels
At this rate, by the time the last variant of the 747 stops flying, most of us will have stopped flying.
When we have a 747 retirement DO my first segment from ORD will likely be on a DC-9.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
A glance at Airliners.net indicates we're looking at possibly four planes... it may be that 2 are in scheduled service and 2 are used for charter ops, based on the photo captions there.

N623US (1979)
N624US (1979)
N637US (1986)
N638US (1986)

Poking around flight trackers, it looks like there's NW73/74 between NRT and GUM, and NW75/76 between NRT and SPN. Any others still on 742s?
Ships 637 and 638, along with 636, are the overpowered recent frame -251s that are capable of, and did, serve NRT-JFK. MTOW 815,000 lbs.

RTS
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dang... NW75 9/1 is zeroed!

Nary a seat to be found. Maybe I will have to try to survive for the 744 Retirement DO after all.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:36 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Think we can fill it with lots of WP awards if they flew it thru SEA back to MSP? Should I make a few phone calls... smile
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by thezipper
Think we can fill it with lots of WP awards if they flew it thru SEA back to MSP? Should I make a few phone calls... smile
Please! We would probably go for that.

It would need to be as close to 9/1 (Sat.) as possible to avoid forcing us to buy PerkPass/RuleBuster fares unnecessarily, at least on the outbounds.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 16, 2007 at 5:03 pm
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by thezipper
You missed a stop, sir! The obvious routing is NRT-HNL-wherever-MSP!

Because, well, a retirement is just that much more fun when it includes Hawaii.

(I'll be damned if I know how they're gonna get the last DC-9 out here and back, though!)
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:25 pm

(I'll be damned if I know how they're gonna get the last DC-9 out here and back, though!)
I think it could go out through Canada and down the western/far eastern Pacific rim, then up the island chains a la the CO Mike island hopper. Then back to the mainland....i dunno. The same way?
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:49 pm

Ok, assuming the DC-9-50 retirement needs to hit HNL, it is possible.

1) According to the specifications on the DC-9 Wikipedia page, the range for the DC-9-50 is 1,635nm.

2) Given the above specification, it would be possible to get it out to HNL for a final retirement using a combination of old cargo/passenger routes to Asia as well as the famous routing for the Continental Micronesia island hopper. Check it out here. It all works.

http://tinyurl.com/2q8xc2

Of course, for a couple of those legs, we should probably remove a few rows of seats and plug in a spare fuel tank, just to be safe. But it IS possible to do per manufacturer specifications without anything additional! (Yes, I'm a geek)
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Ok, assuming the DC-9-50 retirement needs to hit HNL, it is possible.

http://tinyurl.com/2q8xc2

It looks like a killer MR... until you realize that it's a single plane doing a single-number "direct" flight with stops, so you only get the HNL-MSP mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.