Search

KLM Coach Vs. NW Coach

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by florin
How is the IFE on NW/KLM 767's?
NW has no 767's, so it's nonexistent on theirs.

On KLM, I'm trying to remember what there was on the AMS-EBB leg. I think it may have been sequential showing of selected movies in coach. On the 777 I flew NBO-AMS, it was my choice of movie from quite a selection, starting whenever I wanted it to start.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The coach seat on NW 330's is far from the worst I've had to sit in - at least some of them. The center section, aisles, near the front seem the best bet - I believe there's a little extra leg room up there compared to the outer aisle seats. 13G was tolerable for the overnight MEM-AMS flight. Coming back 11C - aisle with no seat in front provided loads'o'leg room, although I wouldn't want it overnight because of being a bit exposed to carts etc
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by nwdc10

Row 10, decent legroom
I am new to this, but how do you get row 10 on a KLM flight? OLCI at 23:59? When I call the SE line they only offer me 11.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Silver Elite
I called the elite line and had them change to the KLM system for reservations and in that system it allows them to assign row 10. The NW system WILL NOT even show row 10 on KLM flights. They were very specific though in telling me that it did not mean I would actually get it. KLM's rules are that bulkhead and exit row are assigned day of departure only and that if they see them pre-assigned they will sometimes boot the person out.

I got lucky I guess. My itin showed row 11, as that's what I picked when I booked online, and did not actually show row 10 until I printed out my boarding pass.

To go a step further the elite line told me that KLM can even boot you out once your checked in. For whatever reason KLM seems very protective of these seats!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
the HEINZ food bowl you recieve on every ex-AMS flight. Never tried the chicken. The Pasta is very good IMO
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by nwdc10
I called the elite line and had them change to the KLM system for reservations and in that system it allows them to assign row 10. The NW system WILL NOT even show row 10 on KLM flights. They were very specific though in telling me that it did not mean I would actually get it. KLM's rules are that bulkhead and exit row are assigned day of departure only and that if they see them pre-assigned they will sometimes boot the person out.
But that's the case with most airlines -- the seats you pick on your reservation are requests only and you are not guaranteed to get those (even if you normally do).
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:30 am

Last year I went ATL-MEM-YVR in First (DL award ticket). First leg was DL to MEM and then NW. The latter was pathetic. I can only pity those in coach if this flight was in any way representative of NW.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:35 am
azj

jimc - I just missed you! Flew AMS-MSP on 21st.

Ok, we're making a big deal about the art/branding on the plastic cover that covers the meals? COME ON! I did notice it said Heniz, but didn't make me think I was in for some cheap ketchup surprise. As I mentioned above, just flew the AMS-MSP sector and had the choice of vegetarian spinach tortelini or thai chicken. I had the chicken and found it to be good, but remotely Thai. I thought the portions were fine and tasteful. I especially liked the variety of small salads on the side.

On the return, it was vegetarian curry or chicken. I had the curry, which was fine, but could have had more flavor and spice. But I guess when you're cooking for 300, you have to be attempt to please all palates. I'm not so sure though serving curry with chicpeas to a plane load of people is the wisest idea. If you know what I mean... It affected me so I know it affected others!

This was my first trip in Y on the new 330s and was a bit uncomfortable in the Y seats, especially on return. AVOD is great though.

To the original poster - FYI - NWA handles the KLM meals in the USA and KLM handles the NWA meals in AMS. So, by praising the food n the KLM flight out of the USA and disgusted with the food out of AMS, you're directing your anger towards the wrwong people!

AZJ
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azj

To the original poster - FYI - NWA handles the KLM meals in the USA and KLM handles the NWA meals in AMS. So, by praising the food n the KLM flight out of the USA and disgusted with the food out of AMS, you're directing your anger towards the wrwong people!

AZJ
I am aware that NW handles US-Europe meals and vice versa. I would venture to say that the meal quality diffrences that I experienced had more to do with what airline wanted to spend more money on meals than anything else.

I have been a very loyal NW elite member for 12 years and will continue to do so. My post was in no way meant to slam NW but rather to share with my experiences of NW vs KLM in coach since this was my first coach flight overseas, in the past have always traveled WBC.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
My recent experience with row 10 on KL -- NW plat folks booked it for me, and it held on IAD-AMS outbound, even though I checked in only at airport.

On return, KLM took it away with no comment. Seatguru says they use it for bassinet, but not in this case -- was a middle age pax, obviously more important than I.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
A330 Row 10

How are the window seats in row 10 on NW A330

Does the emergency slide limit your legroom?
Is the noise from the galley really that bothersome like seatguru would suggest?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Row 10, at least H&J, on the NW 330 were fine. The slide does inhibit you a little bit but I am 6-1 and it was not bad for me. I found noise from the galley to be very minimal.

One other observation I failed to mention when I originally posted was that in coach KLM came around with hot towels, paper type ones, twice going to AMS. Nice touch.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:23 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So the KLM Heinz bowls are DISGUSTING! Had them on my flight to AMS then from AMS to EBB and JRO to AMS. They have to go.

My NW flight from AMS to MSP food was incredibly better, and actually a bit tasty for airline food.

Love the snack basket on KLM, though mostly candies.

NW didn't have a midflight ice cream, what happened to that?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks GE, Priority Club GE
That Heinz, Uncle Bens and Dolmio (what I have seen) bowls seems to appear on both KL and NW flights out of AMS, and I am not to keen on this food. I have had it on both airlines going betweeen AMS and SEA, then on AMS GRU 3 months later,, same fiery Uncle Bens Sezchuan chicken
I think I'll order a special meal on my next flight out of AMS...
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by heli_parts
That Heinz, Uncle Bens and Dolmio (what I have seen) bowls seems to appear on both KL and NW flights out of AMS, and I am not to keen on this food. I have had it on both airlines going betweeen AMS and SEA, then on AMS GRU 3 months later,, same fiery Uncle Bens Sezchuan chicken
I think I'll order a special meal on my next flight out of AMS...
try to take the pasta next time, that's much better IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.