Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Evaluating CRJ-900 & EMB-190 in MSP on 7/27

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW Evaluating CRJ-900 & EMB-190 in MSP on 7/27

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
So, NW can now negotiate the BEST deal for either CRJ-900's or E-190 series aircraft. Let's hope the E-190 wins out. Better for Y seating for sure and comparable to (if not better than) the DC-9 series.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Looks like a SONIC Commercial to me.

Originally Posted by Lehava
Looks like cellophane wrapped candies!!!!

This photos says it all... http://www.flickr.com/photos/40119032@N00/199912811/

Oh you boys look so comfortable...DONT BUY THINGS WHERE YOU SIT THIS CLOSE
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
The old limit for regional airlink seating capacity was 69 seats, negotiated during the Pilots strike, the 69 seat limit was raised to 76 seats during the recent nwa/pilots contract negotiation.

Accordingly, any configuration of a NW airlink a/c cannot exceed 76 seats without being operated by NWA mainline pilots, and NWA mainline Flight Attendants

RC

Curious, why would NWA look at the E-190 and the CRJ-900 for regional operations? They both seem large for only 76 seats. NWA could use those aircraft with more seats on it's mainline operation.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by NWAFA
Curious, why would NWA look at the E-190 and the CRJ-900 for regional operations? They both seem large for only 76 seats. NWA could use those aircraft with more seats on it's mainline operation.
DL is doing the same thing--adding CRJ900s even though they are scope-limited to 70 seats (for now, it will mean a huge F section). There are two main possibilities I can think of as to DLs/NWs thoughts: a) they realize that the CRJ 200 and 700 are not comfortable, and they're trying to provide a better experience for ther pax, including a good chance for Elites to UG, or b) they need more RJs now, but don't think the current scope clauses will last for long, so they're buying bigger planes and planning on redoing the cabins when they can instead of buying small now and being stuck with small planes in the future.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:31 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I thought the CRJ's and ERJ's were to replace the aging DC-9 fleet. DC-9 routes are a little longer range than most current CRJ routes.

Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: WorldPerks, Sky Miles

Cheaper labor? (Under the new proposed contract, Mesaba wants to pay its first year pilots less than $17,000 per year, before taxes and insurance deductions.)

When Mesaba operated the Avro, it had 69 seats, the limit for NWA regionals. The new owners of the Avros, CityJet (in Dublin and Paris), have increased the seating capacity.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
The ARJ-85 is rated for 85 economy pax (hence the name). NW got a deal on buying the -85 instead of the -70, so they put in an F section.

As for the E70 vs Crj-900.. Well, if the CRJ is cheaper, more reliable, and they already have pilots and mechanics trained to operate the series.. I can see why it's a strong contender.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:40 pm
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by oopsz
The ARJ-85 is rated for 85 economy pax (hence the name). NW got a deal on buying the -85 instead of the -70, so they put in an F section.

As for the E70 vs Crj-900.. Well, if the CRJ is cheaper, more reliable, and they already have pilots and mechanics trained to operate the series.. I can see why it's a strong contender.
Actually the ARJ-85 is rated for 112 passengers max.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAe_146 (according to wikipedia)

Looks like with 31" pitch, it accomodates 100 pax with 3 on each side (6 across), no FC, however 5 across = 85]

so NW didn't screw us as hard as they could have

http://www.baeportal.datathree.com/p...April_2004.pdf

this PDF was pretty interesting

Last edited by myk; Jul 31, 2006 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:43 pm

Also this may be a rumor, NWA lost the I.A. certificate because they didn't start up Compass like they said they would.
My source tells me NW didn't lose the certificate, but in fact they just don't plan to operate under it. Compass appears to have been a smoke screen to get the pilots to make concessions for a larger scope clause, thus allowing regional companies like Mesaba, Pinnacle, Mesa Air, Republic, Shuttle America, etc. to fly their own E170s and/or CRJs.

Plus, NW still has the certificate from Independence that they can sell to someone else, likely for more than they paid for it...

Sneaky move, Doug...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.