Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

How many things can go wrong with one flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

Ok, so first of all, I don't blame NW for any of this but I just had to share my misfortunes with those that will feel my pain.

Last night I was flying NW165 from MEM to MSP and then connecting to PHX. My first clue should have been that we had a ground hold in MEM due to the wx in MSP. However, we pushed back just 20 mins late and were in the air 10 mins after that so I thought all was well. We actually turned final into MSP and that was the last good thing that happened. We had some pretty good bumps before turning final but nothing too dramatic. Suddenly notice that we are picking up speed and beginning a slow climb. Flight deck announces that t-storms were too close to airport and we needed to hold. Also told us that we had about 30 mins of hold fuel and then we would have to divert to Rochester.

35 - 40 mins later we land in Rochester.
Have to wait for the (only?) fuel truck as it's fueling other aircraft.
Our turn for fuel and fuel truck is out. Has to return to fuel barn to get more fuel.
Fuel truck returns, starts fueling. Flight deck announces that crew is out of hours and flight is cancelled. Sit tight and we'll find out what we are going to do about hotels etc.
Man that appears to be mentally retarded tries to open 2L claiming he is a NW mechanic and knows what he is doing. FA's have to keep a very close watch on him and the door. Same man is later seen being given instructions by the male FA on how to use the lavatory.
F/A's bring very pale looking older lady to F/C as she is definitely not feeling well. Few minutes later paramedics are on-board. (hope she's ok, but nice job on being first off the a/c )
WX from MSP has now reached Rochester. Lots of lightning and suddenly airport and runway lights go out. Lightning hit terminal (or somewhere very close).
No-one else can get off as Rochester jetways apparently cannot accomodate 757 and we have to wait for buses to drive us to the terminal. Of course, no-one can get on the ramp due to the lightning.
Waiting.....waiting......waiting.......
Another crew is flying down to Rochester to fly everyone back to MSP. Several people are heard saying "but I've already made arrangements for someone to drive to Rochester to pick me up!" Announcement is made "anyone wanting to get off here, please raise your hand."
Some people get off when buses finally arrive. "Ok, but no luggage for you!!!"
Problems communicating with airport (it might have been NW HQ that they were talking about) due to the power outage at the airport.
Replacement crew shows up and flight finally leaves Rochester. (Got the "prepare cabin for arrival" as we took off )
20 mins later we are finally at the gate at MSP 5 1/2 hours late and surprisingly if you are connecting to Lansing, San Jose and somewhere else (I forget where) your connection is still at MSP. Everyone else, your new flight info is at the GA's podium. I get mine and ask about a reduced hotel rate. Sorry, hotels are all full so we are not even giving you the tel#. Of course, I find a hotel room and get a few hours sleep before heading back to the airport.

Mood in FC was pretty good. Didn't dare go back and sample the mood in coach but didn't really hear or see people getting too upset. I think most people realized we just had everything conspire against us and there really wasn't much NW could do.

Overall, it is by no means that big of a delay, but I couldn't make some of that stuff up if I tried so I thought I'd share it.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:42 pm

Rochester seems to be a venus fly trap for Minneapolis bound NW flights. I was stranded overnight there recently.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Murphy's Law is alive and well in air travel:

"If anything can go wrong, it will. And usually at the worst possible moment."
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
nice account though!

Justhere, sorry for the troubles, but it was sure a fun story to read! I like your writing style! ^ Perhaps it made the trip more bearable knowing that you were going to recount all the craziness for your FT pals!
Glad you got home safe after all!!!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by justhere
Ok, so first of all, I don't blame NW for any of this but I just had to share my misfortunes with those that will feel my pain.

Last night I was flying NW165 from MEM to MSP and then connecting to PHX. My first clue should have been that we had a ground hold in MEM due to the wx in MSP. However, we pushed back just 20 mins late and were in the air 10 mins after that so I thought all was well. We actually turned final into MSP and that was the last good thing that happened. We had some pretty good bumps before turning final but nothing too dramatic. Suddenly notice that we are picking up speed and beginning a slow climb. Flight deck announces that t-storms were too close to airport and we needed to hold. Also told us that we had about 30 mins of hold fuel and then we would have to divert to Rochester.

The weather channel showed some footage today from MSP area -- dime size hail, man hole covers been pushed up by excessive water from the storm sewers....

Not a good night to be out and about, let alone up in the air....

Hey, it's summer in the midwest.

Bob H
Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Blame NW for the Weather, Thunderstorms, lighting ??? You got to be kidding

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
You didn't have any extraordinary issues.

ATC decides when an a/c is going to be diverted. Since you can't blame ATC I suppose you feel the carrier (NW) is liable for this.

As a Plat Elite flyer I have had all of the issues you described occur, sometimes flying on the last bank of flights is not a great idea.

I would say that you had no contingency for bad weather, diversions, ground hold delays, refueling, and have unrealistic expectations of the airline when these acts of god occur.

If you would take earlier flights in the future and do not fly so late in the day these delays issues would be minimized but bad weather cannot be blamed on Northwest.

RC
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Overall, it is by no means that big of a delay, but I couldn't make some of that stuff up if I tried so I thought I'd share it.
Hehe. You left off the part about getting some extra miles posted to your account for the trouble, right?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:09 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Radiocycle- I don't believe anybody had mentioned Northwest as the culprit until you did.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:00 pm

*************Edited out inappropiate remarks***************
Radiocycle
NWA Moderator

Yeah, for anyone that's a pretty flippant response. Esp. since I've never seen anyone write a more laid back and fair account of a weather delay. Not a hint of blame to the airline, and taking it in stride...even knowing ahead of time he'd be on his own for a hotel...which actually, for Plats is actually not supposed to happen...we're often taken care of for weather delays despite the FAA reg. disbanding the airline of liability for acts of god.

*************Edited out innapropiate remarks*********
Radiocycle
NWA Moderator

Last edited by Radiocycle; Jun 17, 2006 at 9:33 pm
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:25 pm

Typical issues rolled into one flight

NW gets blamed by association.

RC

Originally Posted by sany2
Radiocycle- I don't believe anybody had mentioned Northwest as the culprit until you did.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:27 pm

For some reason, MSP and DTW both have their share of issues when the average summer thunderstorm pops up. But it comes with the territory. NW flyers should, if not expect, at least not be surprised by something like this. Just another summer evening on the red tail, hm?

BTW, I'm not belittling your story or experiences here -- we've all been there before, unfortunately.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:31 pm

The title of this topic is: How many things can go wrong with one flight?

The OP is detailing his experience, its almost a "Trip Report" and he posted it here in the NW forum, so I have to believe it refers to a NW a/c.

This should be posted in the trip report forum, but since its Nw related I'm not moving it.

Radiocycle
NW Moderator
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
NW gets blamed by association.

RC
RC, I've read the post again and still can't see the blame to NW.
I think most people realized we just had everything conspire against us and there really wasn't much NW could do.
I think most of us here understand that weather delays/cx are not the fault of the airlines; and, the circumstances present in justhere were just a series of unfortunate events that could have happened on any airline. The title "How many things can go wrong with one flight?" seems to simply channel attention to the sheer number of misfortunes that one experienced while traveling that happened to be on a NW flight.

In any case, I'm glad justhere was in FC and not in Y!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
The title of this topic is: How many things can go wrong with one flight?

The OP is detailing his experience, its almost a "Trip Report" and he posted it here in the NW forum, so I have to believe it refers to a NW a/c.

This should be posted in the trip report forum, but since its Nw related I'm not moving it.

Radiocycle
NW Moderator
RC, just for clarification, I did almost post this in the Trip Report forum but I felt that the NW folks around here would be able to better identify with the summer wx issues around MSP and DTW. Feel free to move it if it needs to be moved.
NW gets blamed by association
Association with what??? The last thing I wanted was for anyone to infer that I blame NW in any way, shape, or form. In fact, when someone was trying to blame NW while we were at the podium after we got off the flight, I stood there and defended NW (at 2 in the morning after a 5 1/2 hour delay, no less).
And yes, I know that nothing here was all that unique (well, perhaps nothing other than seeing someone give instructions on how to use the lav ) but how many times does it all happen on one flight? Plus, I didn't title this "how many things can go wrong with one NW flight" because it could have happened on any airline. I just wanted to share and try to give some of my fellow NW travellers a little laugh.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Hehe. You left off the part about getting some extra miles posted to your account for the trouble, right?
You know I forgot to mention this in the first post but I did wonder how that would work. According to the captain, the flight was cancelled in Rochester. If that is the case, then the flight from Rochester to MSP would be a new flight and theoretically eligible for a 500 mile minimum plus my 750 plat bonus. Heck, I should have asked for a coach seat and got the 1000 mile guarantee. (RC, I'm just kidding. The only reason I would write to NW about this whole incident is to say that all the employees really did a good job of keeping us informed, keeping the peace, etc, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.