Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

If there is a strike, will trans-Pacific flights be more or less affected?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

My wife is scheduled to depart KIX for SEA on 9/2 and return to Japan on 9/13. If some flights are cancelled, do you think that the international flights will be the first or the last ones cancelled?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:14 am

Programs: NW, UA, Starwood
Good question, I've been wondering this as well since I have a transpacific in a few days. Perhaps the chance is lower because the plane can be serviced in Asia... at least for the one originating from Asia?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:50 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
You need to remember that most of the flights beyond NRT used planes that started their day in places like DTW, MSP, JFK, LAX, etc. So if the planes never get to NRT, then Asia services defineitely will be affected.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: WP Silver, Priority Club Gold
Most of the planes beyond NRT fly in and out of NRT. (unless you are talking about transpacific flights). The 757s and Airbuses used in NRT stay in NRT.

As for the 747 and A330(s) - I believe they are maintained overseas already.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
My wife is flying KIX-HNL-SEA. The KIX-HNL plane (747) turns around at KIX for the return. I think that it turns around at HNL again to go back to Japan, but am not sure.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: NWA Gold
I fly out of NGO, where check in agents are JAL staff, so I'm assuming that any maintenance issues would also be sorted out by non-NWA staff. I'm not worried about getting to the states.

Getting to my final destination, and then back to Japan is a bit problematic, though.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I'm not sure exactly how it works with the various union entities, but if only NW mechanics are affected and Airlink affiliated companies are not, then Airlink-type domestic service will be the least affected, and mainline service requiring US-based maintenance will be the most affected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.