Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Wild animals on board: a true story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wild animals on board: a true story

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by bwallet
Release? Not on your life. The bat needs to be killed and immediately tested for rabies. In the meantime, anyone who was remotely exposed to the bat and who hasn't been vaccinated against rabies should begin a rabies treatment regime---
It sounds like the bat was behaving normally (given its circumstances) and therefore is very unlikely to be infected (chances ~1 in 1000 ).

Was a passenger/employee bitten? Was anybody "remotely exposed" to the bat's saliva?

You cannot get rabies from bat blood, feces, urine, or even petting a rabid bat! To get rabies, the bat would have to have had rabies (unlikely) and then a passenger would have to somehow get its saliva in an open wound, mucous membrane, etc. More info from CDC.

those of us who are vaccinated have a few days to begin a series and hence could probably wait for the results of the test.
Or talk to a physician about getting an antibody titer and potentially preventing a possible reaction to revaccination.

Extreme? Only one person has ever survived rabies, and I'm sure she had severe brain damage.
There have been at least three documented rabies survivors. The teen that recently survived was the first suvivor who hadn't been previously vaccincated. Several media sources left out that detail and therefore reported the story incorrectly. (The media get it wrong?? Imagine that! )
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ilovemiles
It sounds like the bat was behaving normally (given its circumstances) and therefore is very unlikely to be infected (chances ~1 in 1000 ).

Was a passenger/employee bitten? Was anybody "remotely exposed" to the bat's saliva?

You cannot get rabies from bat blood, feces, urine, or even petting a rabid bat! To get rabies, the bat would have to have had rabies (unlikely) and then a passenger would have to somehow get its saliva in an open wound, mucous membrane, etc. More info from CDC.

Or talk to a physician about getting an antibody titer and potentially preventing a possible reaction to revaccination.

There have been at least three documented rabies survivors. The teen that recently survived was the first suvivor who hadn't been previously vaccincated. Several media sources left out that detail and therefore reported the story incorrectly. (The media get it wrong?? Imagine that! )
No one was bitten and I agre the bat was doing the normal bat thing. I have seen bats trapped indoors before and they tend to fly circles as this one did. I don't believe anyone made physical contact with bat.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:52 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
SO SORRY...

I was just being flippant about the rabies comment....

But to think of it...I wonder if the bat was carrying the Luda-Fisk mite in it's fur....I think it was an import from northern europe by accident and could cause much havoc to the California crops since there a few preditors of it...

Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
SO SORRY...

I was just being flippant about the rabies comment....

But to think of it...I wonder if the bat was carrying the Luda-Fisk mite in it's fur....I think it was an import from northern europe by accident and could cause much havoc to the California crops since there a few preditors of it...

Actually in the Puget Sound region of Washington state they do have indigenous predators who really enjoy the Luda-Fisk mite. OOPS that may have been ludafish, is there a big difference?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:05 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
Actually in the Puget Sound region of Washington state they do have indigenous predators who really enjoy the Luda-Fisk mite. OOPS that may have been ludafish, is there a big difference?
This is all ludacris!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
I think they sell that stuff at the pike place market dont they

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.