Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
AMS Layover

Hi all,

I did a Google search, but was unable to find anything specific. I have a 7+ hour layover in AMS and am wondering if there is any hope of going into the city. Also, what sort of customs issues would I have to be concerned about?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL GM
There's a company that specializes in layover "mini-tours" if you want something organized. Otherwise, it's easy to go on your own. There are lockers by the F gates if you want to store some of your carry-on luggage at the airport. Clearing immigration is generally a breeze, and you just walk right through the "nothing to declare" line at customs. I've never been questioned--or seen anyone questioned--in the dozens of times I've been through there. There's a direct train service from the airport to Centraal Station in town, and you can walk or take a tram to anything you'd like to see. The trains run frequently all day, but check on your return train in advance, just to be sure.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:51 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
7 hours is more then enough to get into the city do some stuff and get back. You can store your bags (and your money) in lockers inside of security. Take the train to Amsterdam Centrum is it fast and runs 3-4 times per hour.

If it is warm and sunny bypass Amsterdam and go all the way to the beach (only about 10 more minutes by train). If you want just want beer and food bypass AMS Centrum and go to Haarlem. It is great midsize town about 3-5 minutes further where the food/beer is less expensive and you are less likely to be accosted by homeless or pickpocketed then Amsterdam.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tbangs
I have a 7+ hour layover in AMS and am wondering if there is any hope of going into the city.
Definitely. That's more than enough time. The trains run directly from the "basement" at Schiphol to Centraal Station (Amsterdam's city center) every ten to fifteen minutes. Total travel time each way is approximately 20 minutes. A one way trip is under 4 Euros. From Centraal Station, you can either walk the city on foot (it's a great walking city), take the trams, or rent a bike (probably the best biking city in the world with all the bike lanes; rent a bike at the eastern side of the station at MacBike).

If your bags are checked all the way through and you already have a boarding pass, then you can probably wait until about 2 hours before your departure to catch the return train to Schiphol in order to maximize your time in the city center.

Also, what sort of customs issues would I have to be concerned about?
None, really. Like MJLogan, I find Schiphol's immigration to be a breeze.

Last edited by cAAl; Apr 4, 2005 at 11:20 pm
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Just did this last week, very easy and beats staying in the club all day. If you're flying NW there are lockers just across from the E pier (next to crew security). They take credit cards for the 4 Euro fee and the trains to Centraal run every 10 minutes (it takes about 15 minutes to get there). Round trip is 6 Euro. If you don't have coins or a Master Card, go to the ticket counter where the line moves quickly. They charge a 1 Euro service charge, however.

Returning to Schiphol the trains run at (after the hour)
:05 track 15b
:13 Track 13a
:29 track 13a
:35 track 15b
:43 track 13a
:59 track 13a
(a dead giveaway that you're on the right train is the KL flight attendants in uniform on their way to work )

Coming back into the airport follow the signs for the B/C gates through security. You end up closer to the E pier than if you follow the E signs. Total time from Centraal back to the lockers (through passport and security) was 30 minutes on a weekday afternoon. You may want to allow a little more time just in case.

I recommend having an idea of what you want to do when you get into the city (there was a good article in the NYT on Sunday, you can probably get it online or on IHT Travel Roport). If you are going to any of the museums, stop at any larger hotel and get advance tickets. This enables you to jump the line and ticket price is the same as at the museum (you may not have time for the Ann Frank museum, the line is always long).

If it's a nice day and you want to see some charming small towns, the trains to Delft and Haarlem are a short ride.

Last edited by Ginger K; Apr 5, 2005 at 9:24 am
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat
I did a Google search, but was unable to find anything specific. I have a 7+ hour layover in AMS and am wondering if there is any hope of going into the city.
More to be found in Localtalk-Europe Amsterdam
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
good stuff here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi.../t-394739.html including lots of links and info
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Thank you all for your information. I am really looking forward to Amsterdam now! I thought I would just spend it in a lounge, but its good to know that I can go out and see the city. Thanks again!
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
agree with the others

It is so super-easy to get to Centraal there is no reason not to step out and enjoy some of this beautiful city. Enjoy your lay-over.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Amsterdam layover.

Thank you all for your information. I am really looking forward to Amsterdam now! I thought I would just spend it in a lounge, but its good to know that I can go out and see the city. Thanks again!
When will you be there.
I am arriving at 7.35 am Sat. April 9/05, staying at the Sheraton Schiphol.
Not doing anything till late at night, if you where arriving on Saturday I could give you some guidance.

Casey.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:51 am

I'm there on April 30 (6.5 hours), May 7(7 hours), and May 21st(10hours) if anybody wants to go on an outing together...The last time I did a MR there, I just sat in the lounge and watched a movie...I have a small fear of not making it back to airport on time...I RAN through LAX (I felt like OJ in the Avis commercial) one time and arrived with about 1 minute to spare (it was a 1am flight and the screener looked at my boarding pass and said you better hurry, they have been paging you!!), so I tend to be conservative on my timing.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:31 pm

How is this topic related to the Northwest WorldPerks program?

Why has this thread been allowed to remain on this forum while Northwest-related topics are transferred to other boards?
Old Apr 10, 2005, 3:39 pm

As far as customs go, AMS is a breeze. Just don't try to bring any "goodies" from AMS into another country where they might not be as tolerated.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by HeelLaw
How is this topic related to the Northwest WorldPerks program?

Why has this thread been allowed to remain on this forum while Northwest-related topics are transferred to other boards?

Because 90% of people that are in this situation are NW (frequent) flyers and the greatest liklihood of getting helpful information. I have personally benefited from this having a similar situation this fall, and do not regularly read other sites that might have had this thread.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:45 pm

Mods, should this be moved to the AMS forum? Seems more appropriate there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=543

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.