AMS Layover

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:51 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

Seems just fine where it is.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:59 pm
dwh

<<<<<Mods, should this be moved to the AMS forum?

NO!!!!

I read only one forum. This one. That's because I am a NW elite. Concomitant with being a NW elite, I transit AMS several times a year. I'll bet you that nearly everybody interested with AMS layovers who clocks into FlyerTalk is in this very analogous situation.

Please cease and desist with your skewed, inappropriate, unbalanced, and hideously misguided harping on personal obsessions to the disadvantage and denigration of all other posters on topics like this in this forum!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by dwh

NO!!!!

I read only one forum. This one. That's because I am a NW elite. Concomitant with being a NW elite, I transit AMS several times a year. I'll bet you that nearly everybody interested with AMS layovers who clocks into FlyerTalk is in this very analogous situation.

Please cease and desist with your skewed, inappropriate, unbalanced, and hideously misguided harping on personal obsessions to the disadvantage and denigration of all other posters on topics like this in this forum!

I agree also.. there are MANY times topics will effect NW fliers more than the general public and if the topic is put in another forum it will NEVER be seen by many of us...
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:29 am

Sorry guys, I just figured that if we were moving posts ABOUT Northwest into other forums, that surely a post about the Amsterdam airport belonged in the Amsterdam airport forum.

Thanks for the support dwh!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by dwh

NO!!!!

ditto!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:15 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

what they said-
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:25 pm

Advice - Layover in Amsterdam - Time Needed?

I am flying from the US (Phila) to Prague. I have a 6.5 hr layover in Amsterdam.

I plan to take the train to Centraal, then back (for the flight to Prague.)

Could anyone let me know what I'll have to do (customs, passport check, etc.) when getting off the plane in Amsterdam (before going to the city,) and also what I'll need to do before getting back on to Prague? The flight to Prague is a different flight/airline. About how much time will I need to give myself to do everything (check back in, etc.) for the return flight to Prague?

THANKS TO EVERYONE. Help is much appreciated!!!

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mike2005
I am flying from the US (Phila) to Prague. I have a 6.5 hr layover in Amsterdam.
Last year, I had a 3 hour layover to Rome. I was able to check out Centraal with no problem. But I almost missed my plane. Luckily, it was on Virgin Express and they let me board 15 minutes before departure. As to Customs, what customs? The customs might as well not have been there in AMS. The train to Centraal took longer than expected. If you haven't been to AMS b4 it's best to familiarize yourself with the train schedule. Personally, it was confusing at first. I had to ask the locals for help. With almost 2x the time, I don't think you'll have any problems checking out Centraal.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Could anyone let me know what I'll have to do (customs, passport check, etc.) when getting off the plane in Amsterdam (before going to the city,) and also what I'll need to do before getting back on to Prague? The flight to Prague is a different flight/airline. About how much time will I need to give myself to do everything (check back in, etc.) for the return flight to Prague?
You'll have to get your passport checked (very quick usually), retrieve any checked luggage, and clear customs (expect to walk throught the "nothing to declare" line uninterrupted). Once outside the baggage claim area, I suggest you check in for your AMS-PRG flight and either check your luggage or store it in one of the luggage lockers (4 Euros per 24 hours; maps available at http://www.schiphol.nl/ under Airport Information/Maps).

Now, having checked in for your flight and with a boarding pass in hand, you will know exactly how much time you have to explore Amsterdam. Purchase a second class ticket to Amsterdam Centraal Station at one of the kiosks. It'll be 6 Euros for a day return (roundtrip); 3.40 Euros each way if bought separately. Having change is helpful if you want to avoid dealing with a human being which I believe now comes with a surcharge.

The trains from Schiphol to Centraal Station usually depart from platform 1. New airport-style monitors will tell you what time and from which platform the next departure is. Some of them (Intercity, usually) are nonstop; others make one or two stops. In any event, they typically run every 15 minutes and the total train ride will take 15-20 minutes.

I would recommend returning to Central Station approximately two hours before your departure from AMS so you can be at the airport around 90 minutes before departure. That should give you ample time to comfortably make your flight. Return trains from Centraal Station to Schiphol usually depart from platform 13 or platform 15. If you have to buy a one way return ticket, the code for Schiphol is 1117.

Last edited by cAAl; Apr 26, 2005 at 1:21 pm
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum

Mike
Welcome to FT. Now if you actually click on the links in the posts of page one of THIS thread, you will find everything you need and way more than you need.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:22 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

cAAl : Your post should be manatory reading. If there is ever a permanent "AmsterdamTips" sticky, it should be at the top.

"AMS Layover Tips" :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394739

Watch Out For Pickpockets !
On the train to Centraal , groups of youths wander through the train playfully jostling each other as they try to pick your pockets .

Beware of street people/junkies who ask you if you speak English , 'cause they'll cling to you to beg and won't stop. Just ingore them or say 'Niet'.

Last edited by R; Apr 26, 2005 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:29 pm

Mike
The KLM forum has more detailed info. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=493
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by cAAl
You'll have to get your passport checked (very quick usually), retrieve any checked luggage, and clear customs (expect to walk throught the "nothing to declare" line uninterrupted). Once outside the baggage claim area, I suggest you check in for your AMS-PRG flight and either check your luggage or store it in one of the luggage lockers (4 Euros per 24 hours; maps available at http://www.schiphol.nl/ under Airport Information/Maps).
Don't be alarmed about the "retrieve your checked luggage" statement above--if you're connecting, and your luggage is checked through to your final destination, you don't have to go through a U.S,-style luggage check in AMS. If you DO have to get your checked luggage at AMS and recheck it for your next flight for some odd reason, that would eat up a nice chunk of your layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.