Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

As a Plat do I get stand by priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold

In what order are the stand by seats assigned? Im flying den-msp and want to go on an earlier flight the same day. How does NWA determine who gets a stand by seat...is it fare class, elite level.....or?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
That's solely on a first-come-first-served basis.

- Pat
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
... but, if you're standing by for First (which the agent can do--put you on standby for only first or both First and Y), you'd have highest priority amongst the elite classes (then, whatever priority within all the Plats depending on fare class, time checked in, etc.)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:30 pm

Hmmm...am I misinterpreting the rules? According to this, http://www.nwa.com/freqfly/elite/benefits.html, "Wait list priority on sold-out flights" is a benefit for Golds and Plats.

Dosen't that mean that Golds/Plats get bumped to the front of a standby list (and presumably Plats get bumped above Golds)?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:41 pm

I've missed a few flights in the past couple of months due to late arriving connections, and a few times the next flight had a long standby list, I know specifically there was one woman who had arrived late (her fault) for the 1st flight of the day, didn't get on the next, and was on standby for the flight I was trying to get on so she certainly got on the standby list before me. I got confirmed on a later flight but was the 1st (am Platinum) standby pass given a seat.

When I think about it, I think all 3 times I had to go with standby I was the first to get a seat (not in 1st class unfortunately but at least I got on)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Hmmm...am I misinterpreting the rules? According to this, http://www.nwa.com/freqfly/elite/benefits.html, "Wait list priority on sold-out flights" is a benefit for Golds and Plats.

Dosen't that mean that Golds/Plats get bumped to the front of a standby list (and presumably Plats get bumped above Golds)?
Wait list does not mean the same thing as the standby list. Wait listing is done at the time you book your seat when the flight you want is sold out. If a previous reservation gets cancelled between the time you reserved and day of flight, you move up the list or get a seat. The standby list is only for the day of travel when you want to take a flight other than the one you have a reservation for.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:06 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Many types of Stand-by

The reason you end up on stand by has as much or more to do with success than your status.

For instance: Missconnect is NW fault, no matter what your status they should do everything possible to get you on the next flight out. That could equate to putting you first on the standby list. However, with a mis-connect that is NWA fault you should automatically be re-booked and not even have to fool with stand-by. Stand-by could come into play if the first "available" flight was several hours later, but there was an earlier one that you wish to stand-by on.

You show up late and miss a flight. Status could come into play here. But technically it is supposed to be first come first served, but I think in Reality they will accomodate an elite before a non-elite.

You show up for an earlier flight, Many times I have had the agent just directly book me into first class when I have wanted to leave earlier on the day that I already have a confirmed upgrade on a later flight. Of course there were seats available, and I am a Plat also. So I don't know if status helped, or the TA's being familiar with me helped more, but at my home airport they are always very accomodating.

Three different scenarios, all of them are "stand by" flights. Three different priorities. I guess ultimately it comes down to the agent working the flight or the agent at the ticket counter.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
with a mis-connect that is NWA fault you should automatically be re-booked and not even have to fool with stand-by. Stand-by could come into play if the first "available" flight was several hours later, but there was an earlier one that you wish to stand-by on.
just wondering... as I experiences this 3 times this fall/winter, my 1st flight was not NWA (American Eagle which I guess is technically a partner of sorts as it was ticketed through NWA) and each time the next "available" flight was one or more flights after the next flight... but I was about to "standby" and get on the next actual flight. (This is LAX)

I have since decided to skip the SBA-LAX American Eagle leg all together and just drive it (since I've ended up taking a bus provided by American Eagle last time, it really wasn't too bad a drive)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:49 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by justame
just wondering... as I experiences this 3 times this fall/winter, my 1st flight was not NWA (American Eagle which I guess is technically a partner of sorts as it was ticketed through NWA) and each time the next "available" flight was one or more flights after the next flight... but I was about to "standby" and get on the next actual flight. (This is LAX)

I have since decided to skip the SBA-LAX American Eagle leg all together and just drive it (since I've ended up taking a bus provided by American Eagle last time, it really wasn't too bad a drive)
American Eagle is a Code-Share partner in certain parts of CA, they do a lot of the small hops from LAX to SO Cal etc.

AE being late is not exactly the same as a mis connect on NWA flights as NW might not even know you are on that flight. It probably shows up in NW computers as an originating flight from LAX.

I am sure that NWA would accomodate you, since it was booked as a Code-share, but it should be Eagles responsibility.

You will be booked on the next flight with an available seat. That is not always the next flight. Of course you can try standby for the intermediate flights on the hopes that someone does not show up and it would be fine if they got you on.

Driving or taking the bus sounds like a good option if Eagle has caused you to missconnect three times.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Elite benefits include "wait-list" priority. This is available at time of reservation for sold out flights.

The conversation above reflects "stand-by" priority with is not a member benefit except for f/c standby. Stand-by is done from a very black and white perspective: 1. First come first serve; and, 2. whether you are traveling on a B, Y, F, P paid ticket or a restricted fare ticket. If you are on a full "Y" ticket, you will jump ahead of all restricted fare passengers on a stand-by list regardless of when you request.

As noted above though, when a missconnection has occurred, you will more often than not already be rebooked on the next available flight before you arrive at the connection city. The system has evolved fairly well with the exception of "close" miscons which are left alone just in case a flight is held or in close proximity. It has been a while since I monitored this process and there used to be some issues as to the priority the system uses when rebooking.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Wait list does not mean the same thing as the standby list. Wait listing is done at the time you book your seat when the flight you want is sold out. If a previous reservation gets cancelled between the time you reserved and day of flight, you move up the list or get a seat. The standby list is only for the day of travel when you want to take a flight other than the one you have a reservation for.

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.