Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reaching Elite Status mid-trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Reaching Elite Status mid-trip?

Hi,
I'll be taking the $515 JFK-HKG MR in early march, and just realized that I'll hit 25k miles at some point during my outbound trip. We'll be in HKG for 3 days. I'm wondering whether my status will be upgraded to SE by the time I take the return trip. I know I won't get any kind of an upgrade, but the 50% bonus miles would be nice to get... I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't pull anything up... Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: NWA gold, frequent stayer at friends' and relatives' houses
If you are flying NW metal, you very likely will have the miles posted two days after you fly and then have the new status 3 days after you fly. You will likely be silver on the return. If you are flying another carrier, the miles take longer to post and you get upgraded status the day after they post.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 1:43 am
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
We went thru the same thing recently on a MSP-AMS-FCO(Rome) round trip; I reached SE on arrival in Amsterdam, my wife on arrival in Rome. As soon as the mileage was posted, I emailed NW & asked that our frequent flyer #'s be removed & re-entered in our itineraries, which is rumored to be needed for mid-trip changes like that.

Although I included the ticket & frequent flyer numbers, NW replied that they needed the confirmation #'s. I wrote back that I was in a hotel in Rome and it couldn't be that difficult since I only wanted them to change it to the same frequent flyer #'s that were already in the itinerary. NW's next reply indicated they had verified that we were SE for the balance of the trip.

Email them as soon as you see your outbound mileage posted (usually about 36 hours after each segment is flown). I didn't get the 50% bonus for the AMS-FCO segment, although I had enough miles to qualify as SE at that point, so I'm guessing my emails might have had something to do with getting the bonuses for our return trip.

Although you won't get any upgrades for international travel, once you are SE you can get in any line that says "Skyteam Elite". When we checked in at 4 a.m. for the departure from FCO there were lots of people queuing up in the "Economy Class" line and only us in the "First Class/WBC/Skyteam Elite" line, so we didn't have to wait & got the pick of the best seats left (plus a few annoyed looks from the folks in the "Economy Class" line who'd been camped out waiting for the check-in desk to open); also at FCO Skyteam Elites are given boarding priority (at AMS that was limited to Gold Elite or higher).
Do you think asking the GA to remove/add my FF# the day of my return flight will be good enough, or do I really have to e-mail them ahead of my flight back home?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Do you think asking the GA to remove/add my FF# the day of my return flight will be good enough, or do I really have to e-mail them ahead of my flight back home?
No need to do that for miliage bonuses, just upgrades.

In other words, nothing will need to be done, you will get your bonuses according to status when you fly.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 1:43 am
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:31 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
You can update your WP number online via nwa.com "View/Change your Reservation" feature. You just re-enter the number and it will change your status from base to SE (or SE to GE, as I did for my boyfriend) This is much faster!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Re-entering WP numbers on already booked reservations is for ensuring that upgrades are processed at the right time for your new status. Seems that the upgrade computer only has your WP status based on when you made your reservation.

Bonuses will be given according to status when you fly. That systems knows what your status is when you take your flight.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Re-entering WP numbers on already booked reservations is for ensuring that upgrades are processed at the right time for your new status. Seems that the upgrade computer only has your WP status based on when you made your reservation.
Cool, I guess I don't need to do anything in order to get my SE 50% bonus (as long as my status catches up w/me by the time I take the return flight). Thanks for the help everyone!

Bonuses will be given according to status when you fly. That systems knows what your status is when you take your flight.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by fromYXU
So here's a brainteaser: I made SE with a flight LGW-DTW-BOS on 12/22. The next day, I was reaccomodated on a BOS-DTW flight after CO cancelled a flight I was scheduled on. My elite status posted on 12/25. The miles for my 12/23 flight haven't posted; presumably the FF number didn't make it through the reticketing process. Will NW give me an Elite bonus on the 12/23 flight when I submit my BP, and will I have to ask for it? (Not that I really care -- at this point anything that's not a 2005 EQM interests me very little!)

(I'm also curious what booking class it'll post as . . . )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.