Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW ticket, KL royal foulup in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
NW ticket, KL royal foulup in ATL

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 1:42 am
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Sounds like you were not probably booked for the next flight out of ATL. That makes it KLM's problem. I would start with that although probably would not hurt to send your comments to NW as well.

On a side note, I would have called NW's desk as soon as the plane landed (before customs) to try to book myself onto the next NW flight. Status helps in cases like that.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry this happened to you - I would recommend you always get the name of the agent who helped (and/or didn't help) so that you can commend them (or complain about them) later. Also, try to keep the airline you're flying's reservations (elite if you've got) line programmed into your cell phone & use that if the desk transfer people can't (or won't) help you.

I would write corporate KLM, NW, and the ops manager for KLM in ATL a letter & include the URL to this thread.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:04 am

This was soley KLM's problem as they had a mechanical issue. It's obsecene that they kept everyone on board for 2 hours while they figured out what the engine problem was. However, it being a international flight the rationale behind that decision can be made.

Your mistake in this situation was to believe what the FA's and Pilots told you on the plane. I'm sure they were trying to be honestly helpul but in the end they are not the ones that can do anything for you. My first reaction would be (if I knew I had a tight connection in ATL) would to immediately get on the phone with NW while you waited that 2 hours and have them rebook you on the later MSP flight. I believe you would have had success with this method.

The complicated part here is the codshare agreement. Being that KLM flew you from AMS-ATL connecting to a NW flight they can almost think that they did their job. Further, being that this was a NW ticketed trip you'd think the responsibility for getting back to your final destination would be theirs. Personally I have never taken these type of codshare flights; in my case they are always on one operating carrier from origin to destination and back. This greatly reduces these type of problems.

Your best tool in getting to your destination is your cell phone. Any NW phone Rep. can do exactly the same thing as a GA. You just have them rebook you and then pick up your new boarding passes at the gate.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 1:54 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:56 pm

You should post this on the KLM forum also.............................................
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Anyone have a real address for KLM in Atlanta? They have no phone listing and nothing that can be found through Google. They must be a phantom airline that sometimes flies planes into Atlanta.

I tried this address:

Operations Manager
KLM Royal Dutch Airline
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport
Atlanta, GA 30303

Someone wrote a different zip code on it which is now covered by a bar-code sticker.

The letter came back today: "Undeliverable as Addressed"

Letters to NWA in Mpls. & KLM in Amsterdam, also mailed 1/8, remain unanswered as of today.

I'm going to be real reluctant ever to fly KLM out of Atlanta again if there is no way to contact their local people!!!!
Mikempls,

very sorry to read about your problems, had huge problems with the outsourced Swissport staff KLM has contracted at ATL and can understand how you were treated.I am even a 100 % sure who you had to deal with, the kind of junior station manager is very helpful, unfortunately not really competent, but he is trying hard.The station manager, a blond woman in her early 40`s is a complete disaster, being way too cynical I should add quickly,that both her looks and behaviour are lacking a lot of class.

To make a long story short, they ruined my week long trip through the south, cause they could not find our luggage, lied to us several that they put it on AA, told us to go to MCO to pick it up there, although it never left ATL again on DL ( ! ) and refused to upgrade my companion on the way back, cause " we only lost your bag and he is not a Platinum Elite period !! " to quote the blonde station manager.Not to mention that I called them about 20 times during the week and they did call back once after promising to keep me updated...

I complained massively and CR Germany took care of my problems and promised to bring the attention to KLM AMS as well, simply to upgrade the performance at ATL, however reading your post, I fear nothing has happenend in that reagrd and that is dissapointing.

I do have the phone number of the ATL office and will forward it to you, if you still need it, however I would address the matter with NW US HQ , if you need to add more comments from my side, use this thread or PM me for more info.

KLM and NW are operating a classy transatlantic operation, however they have to realise that ATL is a pain and that they will loose pax and money because of the terrible staff there, which should be retrained to the usual NW/KL standards...
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by buddhaman
You should post this on the KLM forum also.............................................
Why ?? It is not necassary to crosspost, basically all KLM flyers also read the NW forum very frequently and I am sure it is the same vice versa.

It is not about KLM or NW screwing up, they operate a joint operation across the pond, so I can expect every service agent to be able and willing to help me out, regardless which airline actually issued the ticket.AFAIK they will also forward your letter of complain to the national office of your country of residence, so one can always post it there.

Always bad, but typical for KLM, brilliant service in the air, but the ground service, especially at outsourced stations is lacking class and competence big time...
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)

Letters to NWA in Mpls. & KLM in Amsterdam, also mailed 1/8, remain unanswered as of today.
I sent a snail mail letter to NWA on 12/30. The response was sent back to me on 1/26, I received it on 2/1. I guess it takes about a month to turn it around.

My complaint was that KLM (SwissPort) gave me en expired voucher in VIE for 2 day delayed luggage. So, I sent this Euro25 expired voucher to NW and asked them to send me back a good one for equivalent value in $. They sent me $75 ECV. Very classy by NWA!!!!!!!!!! Bad KLM (SwissPort in VIE)
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:45 pm
Suspended

NW/KL ops are not separate in the USA - to handle KLM-related issues in North America, you have to go through NW.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
MikeMpls,

Sorry to hear about your troubles in Atlanta. Please post a follow-up regarding how it was eventually resolved by both KL and NW. With the closeness of those two airlines, I find it very disturbing that neither would really want to help the pax.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:11 am

NW/KL split transatlantic revenue. KL does not have employees within the USA. NW does not have employees within Europe. NW is responsible for all KL ticketing and consumer service within the USA. KL is responsible for all NW ticketing and consumer service within Europe.

The lone exception is cargo: NW/KL do not split cargo revenue and each maintain employees worldwide.

In Atlanta they appear to have very separate operations: ....
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bagels
NW/KL split transatlantic revenue. KL does not have employees within the USA. NW does not have employees within Europe. NW is responsible for all KL ticketing and consumer service within the USA. KL is responsible for all NW ticketing and consumer service within Europe.

The lone exception is cargo: NW/KL do not split cargo revenue and each maintain employees worldwide.
Bagels, that doesn't mean that they share airport operations! As the OP pointed out, they have separate counters and separate staff (KLM is apparently contract) in ATL. I am sure that there are other US airports that are the same.

In the NW hub operations/larger airports, NW Airlines employees do in fact check in KLM flights and, hence, will check incoming KLM flights for connections. Obviously, ATL is NOT one of those airports. It's a shame when the agents are not the least bit helpful, but contract workers are typically low paid contract workers with few benefits.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 9, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.