Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

U.S. Fraud Alert: Phishing Scam (Card issuer of WP Visa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Fraudulent web site: http://www.psend.com/users/myaccount...eUSBANK.SERVER

Hint #1: E-mail sent to e-mail address that U.S. doesn't have on file.
Hint #2: Website is psend.com instead of usbank.com

E-mail: [email protected]
Subject: Update your account information
Dear US Bank Member,

As part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a period review of our member accounts.

You are requested to CLICK HERE, and fill in the required information.

This is required for us to continue to offer you a safe and risk free environment to send and receive money online and maintain the experience.

Thank you,

Accounts Management

As outlined in our User Agreement, US Bank will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for using US Bank.

US Bank Accounts Department

---------------------------------------------
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:55 am

Fake "ebay" doing same thing...companies NEVER send out emails asking for any sensitive info...
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plt
Make that warning bigger!

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Fraudulent web site:
You may want to proceed this with a more explicit WARNING! DON'T FILL IN YOUR INFORMATION! THIS IS FRAUD! and possibly disable the URL, because I bet some of the readers here don't understand the word "phishing," don't notice the word "fraudulent" and will give away their information for a quick 10,000 miles.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:01 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Hint#3 [about it's being a fraud] -- it says "CLICK HERE"

don't click here
don't click here
don't click here
don't click here
Etch that in your memory

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Do not click the blue words in email messages. Either ignore the whole thing or manually go to the web site of the company and then see if there is anything urgent.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I suggest that you alert U.S. Bank of this IMMEDIATELY. There are doubtless many others who have recieved this, and some of them probably fell for it. It is in everyone's best interest, including theirs, that this be dealt with.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by bk42
I suggest that you alert U.S. Bank of this IMMEDIATELY. There are doubtless many others who have recieved this, and some of them probably fell for it. It is in everyone's best interest, including theirs, that this be dealt with.
The site was down within a few hours after informing US Bank.

- Pat
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:59 am

Here's the e-mail I received. It looked very real, and the site the e-mail linked to looked like the US Bank site (albeit w/o the US bank URL in the address bar). However, when I called the number on my NWA Visa, they did say that it must be a scam, and their fraud dept. asked me to forward them the e-mail.
I just wonder how many people did provide their info, because I suppose it would sound logical to some...

Dear US Bank Customer,
It has recently come to our attention that your Billing and Account records are out of date. Under the USA PATRIOT Act, we are required by law to collect and store this information. Please take a few moments right now to update your information on our secure server. Failure to update your account within the next 24 hours will result in a suspension of services until we can verify your information. Please be advised that we may initiate a full investigation if we are unable to verify your information.

Once you have updated your details, we will return your account to fully verified status and your service will continue without interruption. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us on our customer service hotline at 1-800-285-8585.

Once again, failure to update your account information will result in account suspension!

Please click here to update your account information.

Regards,

Terry Rubio

US BANK Account Manager
Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:41 am

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
I received a similar e-mail some time ago. I don't recall which account, but I deleted it immediately. (In retrospect, I should have informed authorities.) Thanks for keeping people informed!
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:02 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Standby4321
I received a similar e-mail some time ago. I don't recall which account, but I deleted it immediately. (In retrospect, I should have informed authorities.) Thanks for keeping people informed!
I've received similar emails; US Bank is not only aware of the situation, but agressive law enforcement actions are being taken to shut these sites down & prosecute those involved.

There are many variations of these messages - they are all fraudulent - do not respond to any of them. Often the link will look real inside the message, but if you click on view source, you will find it's just text which is hiding the real link. The message headers will also reveal it's forgery.

I've also received "scam" emails from banks I've never done business with.

Sadly, there are a lot of scams out there which are not only impacting consumers, but the financial community which hurts everyone in the end.

If anyone has fallen for this scam, a similar scam, or feels their card has been compromised, please call your financial institition immediately. In the case of US Bank, they can be reached at 1-800 US BANKS, toll-free in the United States.

Regards,

SDF_Traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.