ARN to Stockholm ground transfer questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARN to Stockholm ground transfer questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Various
Yes, you can take the metro to Fridhemsplan(green and blue lines) and walk from there. It's a few hundred meters perhaps. The exit is the one where SL Center is.

Take the green line as the blue line is currently not going to the central station.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Coming into ARN around 1900 next Monday and staying at the Courtyard. Any suggestions on the best way into town? I was thinking the flygbuss but it doesn't look like any of the stops are that close? Could you do the bus to the metro at that hour?
Cheers
Howie
The above bus has operated frequently even when I've arrived at ARN around 11 p.m. and had to wait a while for luggage, so timing won't be a problem. Here's the schedule:

http://www.flygbussarna.se/Upload/Fl...holm-Arlanda-4 jul-29 okt 2011-tidtabell-Flygbussarna.pdf

From Friday until Sunday, and at least on some holidays, the t-bana/metro is open 24 hours. Rest of the days the t-bana/metro runs at least until 11:45 p.m. if not even beyond that (depending on the line/station). [They run on a schedule -- and unlike with the NYC subway timetables -- often are on time.] So timing won't be a problem there either.

For the public SL (train/tram/bus) transport system, here's a journey planner feature: http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/ that includes times.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 16, 2011 at 1:00 am
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The above bus has operated frequently even when I've arrived at ARN around 11 p.m. and had to wait a while for luggage, so timing won't be a problem. Here's the schedule:

http://www.flygbussarna.se/Upload/Fl...holm-Arlanda-4 jul-29 okt 2011-tidtabell-Flygbussarna.pdf

From Friday until Sunday, and at least on some holidays, the t-bana/metro is open 24 hours. Rest of the days the t-bana/metro runs at least until 11:45 p.m. if not even beyond that (depending on the line/station). [They run on a schedule -- and unlike with the NYC subway timetables -- often are on time.] So timing won't be a problem there either.

For the public SL (train/tram/bus) transport system, here's a journey planner feature: http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/ that includes times.
Thanks GUwonder very helpful going to try the 583x to the metro later today!
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks GUwonder very helpful going to try the 583x to the metro later today!
Cheers
Howie
The 583x bus goes to the Marsta train station from where the SL commuter train goes to Stockholm Central; and then from Stockholm Central there is the "metro"/T(unnel)-bana.

Note that the 583x bus is the SL (public) bus and not the airport coach (flygbussen) that connects the airport directly (read: not necessarily non-stop) with the Stockholm Central station. So it will take longer and any luggage will need to be dragged on and off more than would be the case if taking the flygbussen/airport coach.

On the sl.se journey planner link supplied above, if interested one can "edit" "search options" to add the (non-SL) airport coach (flygbussen) and Alranda Express as options to be considered by the journey planner. It also works to figure out trips even for night trips at times when the metro/t-bana is closed.

Enjoy your trip, and hope the weather is good. Everything is open again, as schools have gotten back in session.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 22, 2011 at 1:46 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The 583x bus goes to the Marsta train station from where the SL commuter train goes to Stockholm Central; and then from Stockholm Central there is the "metro"/T(unnel)-bana.

Note that the 583x bus is the SL (public) bus and not the airport coach (flygbussen) that connects the airport directly (read: not necessarily non-stop) with the Stockholm Central station. So it will take longer and any luggage will need to be dragged on and off more than would be the case if taking the flygbussen/airport coach.

On the sl.se journey planner link supplied above, if interested one can "edit" "search options" to add the (non-SL) airport coach (flygbussen) and Alranda Express as options to be considered by the journey planner. It also works to figure out trips even for night trips at times when the metro/t-bana is closed.

Enjoy your trip, and hope the weather is good. Everything is open again, as schools have gotten back in session.
Figured it out just fine got the 24hr SL card from the TI then jumped on the bus to the train to the metro. Took about 75min to do the whole trip but it's a great bargain way to get into town!
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:59 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Figured it out just fine got the 24hr SL card from the TI then jumped on the bus to the train to the metro. Took about 75min to do the whole trip but it's a great bargain way to get into town!
Cheers
Howie
Impressive, considering that the airport officials at Arlanda do their best to discourage people from using this option by trying to hide the 583 bus stop and obfuscate the information about it's existence as much as possible!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jth
Impressive, considering that the airport officials at Arlanda do their best to discourage people from using this option by trying to hide the 583 bus stop and obfuscate the information about it's existence as much as possible!
Hard to hide things like this with the interwebs! Gotta thank Al Gore and everyone on this thread for this!^
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Ill be re visiting this and other threads this week to learn about things to do when one has a long layover in arn

On 30 july my wife and i fly in on ET at 06:30 into ARN and we fly Sk at 16:30 to AMS

So we are in sweden for 10 hrs and have heard the following:

Try and leave our carry only (rolling) bags at airport and just have backpacks
Take fast train (costly)
Or
Bus (lots less but an ok ride)
Do an archelego boat tour w lunch included
Stroll the old city and see history

And if thats relatively easy to do without having to reserve or plan much, then we are happy

Our itin allowed one stop over which we will have already done elsewhere

Thoughts and tips welcome

Mm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Ill be re visiting this and other threads this week to learn about things to do when one has a long layover in arn

On 30 july my wife and i fly in on ET at 06:30 into ARN and we fly Sk at 16:30 to AMS

So we are in sweden for 10 hrs and have heard the following:

Try and leave our carry only (rolling) bags at airport and just have backpacks
Take fast train (costly)
Or
Bus (lots less but an ok ride)
Do an archelego boat tour w lunch included
Stroll the old city and see history

And if thats relatively easy to do without having to reserve or plan much, then we are happy

Our itin allowed one stop over which we will have already done elsewhere

Thoughts and tips welcome

Mm
For the summer, the Arlanda Express train has a 2-for-280 SEK (one way) promotion, not that much more than the bus (99kr/pax, also one way). I'd say it's a better choice, at least for the trip back to ARN, as the train is not only faster but also more reliable than the highway.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat56f
For the summer, the Arlanda Express train has a 2-for-280 SEK (one way) promotion, not that much more than the bus (99kr/pax, also one way). I'd say it's a better choice, at least for the trip back to ARN, as the train is not only faster but also more reliable than the highway.
Thanks!

280 SEK = $39.88 according to the Oanda currency converter so that's doable but high.

99Kr (assuming you also mean SEK) is $14.10

Then again, it IS one time and it is vacation, and as said, it is worthy for other obvious reasons.

BTW the Euro seems to be lower right now than it has been at 1.23/$1!

MM
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Swebus is running a direct ARN - stockholm center bus for 89sek (promotional). Used it the other day, 35 minutes and very decent wifi. Not as frequent as Flygbussarna though.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Swebus is running a direct ARN - stockholm center bus for 89sek (promotional). Used it the other day, 35 minutes and very decent wifi. Not as frequent as Flygbussarna though.
that works!
for under $14 OW I presume... and wifi!
We are there on July 30 for the day so I would assume the promo is avail this month. That said, we dont know if we will sign up for anything unless we have to, and I would do that this week if I needed to. Once we leave and head overseas I can never be solid on when I will get online and what will work.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
that works!
for under $14 OW I presume... and wifi!
We are there on July 30 for the day so I would assume the promo is avail this month. That said, we dont know if we will sign up for anything unless we have to, and I would do that this week if I needed to. Once we leave and head overseas I can never be solid on when I will get online and what will work.
Yep, about 13 US dollars p.p. O/W

The website (www.swebus.se) says the promotion is running until 12 aug. You can get tickets in advance through website, but also in vending machines or when boarding. No cash payment allowed.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
Yep, about 13 US dollars p.p. O/W

The website (www.swebus.se) says the promotion is running until 12 aug. You can get tickets in advance through website, but also in vending machines or when boarding. No cash payment allowed.
thanks

if we get online we will buy at some point
if not we will use a CC--the BA or Cap One Visas, which have no Forex.
I cant remember if Chase Sapphire does or not but whatever. I have to figure out what cards to not bring on our trip anyway too much stuff!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:21 pm
In memoriam

Thought I would add another option to this thread. My husband and I used the fixed rate Taxi Stockholm to/from ARN/downtown Stockholm. It is 540 SEK or so to the city - 520 back (there's a small airport parking fee). In other words - it's about double the price of the normal fare on the Arlanda Express. Which makes it a good choice price-wise (as opposed to the train) for 2 or more people traveling together. Plus you get the convenience of a taxi (it can be ordered in advance - and your driver will pick you up at arrivals and help with your luggage). Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.