ARN to Stockholm ground transfer questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARN to Stockholm ground transfer questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: Various
It's still taxi unless perhaps if you are near the hospital. Then you could probably go to Järva krog by bus and change to the Flygbuss there. I think it takes too long though so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't very cost conscious.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by jopo
For those staying at hotels in the central part of Stockholm, there are a new airport shuttle service (airportshuttle.se). I have not tried this but it will cost SEK150 one way if you pre-book. It’s a minibus service and the buses apparently have internet connections and TV screens. Have anyone tried them?
Yes I found that site from the Stockholm Tourism site (stockholmtown.com). That might be worth paying $7-8 extra over the flyggbus to be dropped off right at the hotel with my luggage

The one I'm considering is said to be about .5 km from the train station.

As GUWonder noted however, it doesn't run early enough for some departing international flights (mine takes off at 6:40 AM Saturday).

One option may be to go to the airport Friday evening and stay the night near the airport. May not be the best way to spend the last night but the hotels there apparently have free shuttle running 24 hours.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BTW, since there are some people on the thread who've been to or live in Stockholm, wanted to get opinions on general itinerary.

Initially, I was thinking of going to Copenhagen for 2-3 days (out of the 5.5 total for this trip). That seems to be not giving either city enough time so I'm leaning towards just one city (it could even be CPH as I found that flying in and out of ARN and then buying a separate ARN-CPH round-trip ticket is cheaper than flying SFO-CPH round-trip).

But what I find odd is most tour guides have 3-day itineraries of Stockholm and additional days are to go to other parts of Sweden (or go to CPH even).

I should be able to do 5 days in either city right, maybe with a day trip or two?
Old May 7, 2008, 2:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wco81
The one I'm considering is said to be about .5 km from the train station.

As GUWonder noted however, it doesn't run early enough for some departing international flights (mine takes off at 6:40 AM Saturday).

One option may be to go to the airport Friday evening and stay the night near the airport. May not be the best way to spend the last night but the hotels there apparently have free shuttle running 24 hours.
The timing sounds like my AF flights to Paris. And my KL flights to Amsterdam leave even earlier. The flygbussen bus from Stockholm to the airport can get you into the airport on time without having to stay by the airport the night before.

The Arlanda Express train can get you to the airport by 5.30/5.40 a.m. too and there's really little reason to get to the airport much earlier than that if you are on say the AF flight. And the Arlanda Express is very cheap on Saturdays and Sundays if you are two people and can split the ticket cost amongst two people. A 1/3 mile walk/taxi ride in Stockholm + flygbussen bus or Arlanda Express train is what I would suggest for such an early morning flight.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:22 am

Initially, I was thinking of going to Copenhagen for 2-3 days (out of the 5.5 total for this trip). That seems to be not giving either city enough time so I'm leaning towards just one city (it could even be CPH as I found that flying in and out of ARN and then buying a separate ARN-CPH round-trip ticket is cheaper than flying SFO-CPH round-trip).

But what I find odd is most tour guides have 3-day itineraries of Stockholm and additional days are to go to other parts of Sweden (or go to CPH even).

I should be able to do 5 days in either city right, maybe with a day trip or two?
You should be able to do that but to be honest I'm not sure I would do that. I would probably go to both places for a couple of days each.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes it is the AF flight, taking off at 6:40.

Really one hour is all you need? You wonder about lines. I'm DL GM so maybe it won't be that bad, if they have SkyTeam Elite lines.

How bad is a 1/3 mile taxi ride in Stockholm? There must be minimums and the cabbie probably won't be overjoyed about such a short ride at 5 AM or so.

If I do go to CPH, I could probably time it so that I return to ARN the night before my return flight to the US and stay near the airport.

I had thought initially about going to CPH directly after landing in ARN on Sunday afternoon.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:34 am
Suspended

Yes it is the AF flight, taking off at 6:40.

Really one hour is all you need? You wonder about lines. I'm DL GM so maybe it won't be that bad, if they have SkyTeam Elite lines.

How bad is a 1/3 mile taxi ride in Stockholm? There must be minimums and the cabbie probably won't be overjoyed about such a short ride at 5 AM or so.

If I do go to CPH, I could probably time it so that I return to ARN the night before my return flight to the US and stay near the airport.

I had thought initially about going to CPH directly after landing in ARN on Sunday afternoon.
One hour in advance for a SkyTeam Elite like yourself is more than sufficient at that hour for the Air France flight -- at least it has been for the many times I've taken it this year.

The security checkpoints are almost never too busy at that time and the lines move quickly even if it seems like the roped off area is spilling over with a dozen or two people. And, after checking in, if the one security checkpoint is busy there's nothing to stop you from walking down to another security checkpoint that is likely to be near empty but just require a bit of a walk landside to get to the checkpoint and then a walk airside to get to the gate. [While I did this ARN-CDG route about 40-50 times, I had to do the security checkpoint change once last year -- crazy summer rush -- and a second time opted to do it just because I felt like it even though it wasn't needed; this year I've had no such need to do it nor have I done it.]

Cabbies in Stockholm are used to short rides too and -- whether they like it or not -- at that time in the morning there's not a lot of business for them anyway so they'll take who they can get even for the short distances. And the meter comes up at a minimum anyway so I don't see what the issue would be. Usually most of my short taxi rides are between a subway/train stop to a nearby house that is less than a 1/2 mile, sometimes not even a 1/4 mile as the crow flies -- I even call Taxi Stockholm in sometimes and they show up just to port me and my luggage to the nearest subway/train stop even though I could easily walk it too. Cost? About 55-80 Swedish kronor so not a cheap cab ride in US$ terms.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

OK, thanks again.

Good to know what my margin of error would be.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Does anyone know which terminal DL flights arrive at, at ARN?

Arlanda.com doesn't list Delta at all but AF and CO are at Terminal 5 I notice.

Would AF flights also depart from Terminal 5 as well?

Airportshuttle.se requires knowing which terminal from which to pick you up.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:33 am

Does anyone know which terminal DL flights arrive at, at ARN?

Arlanda.com doesn't list Delta at all but AF and CO are at Terminal 5 I notice.

Would AF flights also depart from Terminal 5 as well?

Airportshuttle.se requires knowing which terminal from which to pick you up.
British Airways and Finnair depart from Terminal 2 but most if not all other major carriers use Terminal 5. If AF flights arrive at Terminal 2 they will depart from there too. I didn't know DL flew to Arlanda but it is Terminal 5 too.
Old May 10, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I didn't know DL flew to Arlanda
They are not. Yet. First flight June 3 from ATL, arriving June 4. I think the mid-day 13:35 departure from ARN is a good complement to SK and CO morning flights.

(Maybe T5 is most likely, together with other SkyTeam members.)
Old May 10, 2008, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tourist
They are not. Yet. First flight June 3 from ATL, arriving June 4. I think the mid-day 13:35 departure from ARN is a good complement to SK and CO morning flights.

(Maybe T5 is most likely, together with other SkyTeam members.)
T5 is more likely for this DL flight too, but I just hope DL provides lounge access to DL Platinums flying coach from ARN. AF, KL, AZ and SU do provide lounge access for SkyTeam ElitePlus members flying in coach on a SkyTeam carrier from ARN -- only CO denies lounge access at ARN to SkyTeam ElitePlus members.

This DL flight will be much better for me to get to DCA/IAD (via ATL) than early morning flights from ARN to some other point in Europe and then connecting onto DC either directly or with another connecion -- at least when I'm not going to get anything accomplished the afternoon of arrival anyway.
Old May 10, 2008, 3:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Maybe new service into ARN is the reason DL was pricing itineraries to ARN for less than other destinations.

For instance, trips to CPH were priced at least $200 higher from SFO.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:45 am

I just did some research on ARN to Stockholm transfers, and most of the info here (though from 3 years ago) still seem valid. In summary, I've found the following options:

1. Arlanda Express train: takes 20 minutes; discounted cost of 280 SEK for 2 persons one-way for the summer.

2. Upptaget train to Upplands Vasby then change to commuter train into Stockholm: takes 39 minutes; 100 SEK (ABC zone ticket + passage supplement fee of 60 SEK) per person each way

3. Flygbussarna: takes 45 minutes; internet price of 99 SEK each way per person (vs. 119)

4. Swebus: takes 35-45 minutes; pricing 79-99 SEK + service fees (I am not sure about this, as their website is not good and keeps switching back from English to Swedish; schedule is also not as frequent)

It seems that #1 is the best if pressed for time. Otherwise, #3 may be a good option. For the #3, is the route scenic? Would there be much traffic congestion traveling to Stockholm city center tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon? What about the return to the airport on Tuesday at around 7:30am?

One last question: Is it worthwhile to buy a 72-hour travel card? Can many sights in Stockholm be reached on foot? Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
I can't answer your questions, just wanted to point out a fifth option:

http://www.supershuttle.se/en/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.