Wiki Posts
Search

Helsinki overnight layover

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Helsinki overnight layover

On the way to the US form Tallinn I'll be routing through HEL. We arrive at 11pm on a June Friday, and the JFK flight leaves at 5pm the next day. I figure it's best to stay at the airport and am debating the Glo, for ultimate convenience, vs the Hilton, where I'm building secondary status since I'm usually an IHG perosn. This gives me the morning to explore Helsinki; I figure I'll take the train down and back, and have from ... 8am to 2 or so downtown on Saturday. Most of what I cant figure is the hassle factor of going from the train to the hilton back to the airport, versus the train to Glo/airport luggage storage to security. I do not expect to check bags. So... advice needed.

Is the advantage of the GLO being in the terminal enough?
Should I leave my bags at the hotel (especially the Hilton) or should I take them from the hilton and leave them at airport left luggage to make the train ->get bags -> fly home transition earlier?
Or should I stay at the Holiday inn at the central station. I kinda think I'll be tired on arrival at HEL so less inclined to do the train at 11pm.
Or are all of these options easy?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:31 am

All the options are easy. Walking distance to Hilton is 3-5 minutes from terminal doors. Trains are frequent and cheap.
henry999 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I would probably choose the HI at the railway station as it would make the second day easier (perhaps with late check out). YMMV
Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We stayed at the Hilton for a forced HEL overnight two weeks ago and took the metro into the city for dinner. It was all super convenient. Highly recommend the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.