Wiki Posts
Search

storing packed bike overnight at CPH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
storing packed bike overnight at CPH

The airport website says "you can store suitcases and bags (both large and small), skis, golf bags, musical instruments, strollers, prams, **bicycles**, and more" in their luggage lockers, but lists the largest of the three sizes as 32 x 186 x 57 cm, which is definitely not big enough for a bike (it's wide enough and long enough, but way too short for most bikes or bike travel cases, which are typically 85-90cm high). The size is mentioned twice on that page so I don't think it's a typo on the height. But they also twice say it will fit a bike.

Does anyone have experience with these lockers? I'm arriving Friday afternoon from the UK and departing to overseas the next day and am trying to avoid bringing the bike to my cbd hotel overnight. It will be packed in an (unopened) standard cardboard bike box (brand new bike).

thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s good that you’re thinking of this in advance. A few years back I was transporting a giant, overstuffed suitcase that wouldn’t fit into the biggest available storage locker I could find at CPH. I ended up having to drag it elsewhere to store for the night and bring it back the next day as I wasn’t inclined to unpack there and try to make things fit only to have to pack the contents back up the next day.

If on arrival at CPH I were to find that the boxed bike won’t fit in the self-service storage lockers, I would use a cheap hotel room at the Comfort Hotel across the street from the airport and store the bike in the hotel room or maybe the hotel’s luggage storage room(s).
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:28 am
Original Poster

thanks. Yesterday after much googling I found what appeared to be a left luggage facility (not lockers) in the airport, but I didn't make a note of it, and now I can't find it again or see anything that looks like that on the airport map.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

GUWonder sure enough, the largest lockers don't come remotely close to fitting a bike. They're not even deep enough to fit a normal sized bike wheel, let alone a whole bike. It is extremely misleading for the airport to advertise these lockers as suitable for bikes (yes, I know they give locker dimensions, but given they are so explicit that the lockers are suitable for bikes it is at least reasonable to think there may be a typo in the dimensions).

I took your advice and went to the Comfort Hotel across the road after wasting time at the lockers. I had to throw away a non-refundable hotel booking downtown but the hassle of getting the bike there etc. was too much to deal with at this point in the day and this will be way easier in the morning too.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
GUWonder sure enough, the largest lockers don't come remotely close to fitting a bike. They're not even deep enough to fit a normal sized bike wheel, let alone a whole bike. It is extremely misleading for the airport to advertise these lockers as suitable for bikes (yes, I know they give locker dimensions, but given they are so explicit that the lockers are suitable for bikes it is at least reasonable to think there may be a typo in the dimensions).

I took your advice and went to the Comfort Hotel across the road after wasting time at the lockers. I had to throw away a non-refundable hotel booking downtown but the hassle of getting the bike there etc. was too much to deal with at this point in the day and this will be way easier in the morning too.
Sorry it didn’t work out for you and that you’re stuck with a non-refundable hotel night.

You perhaps could have tried to get the Comfort CPH to store your boxed bike even without staying at the hotel for the night. I sometimes book a hotel room there just to store stuff — that too not always in the booked rooms at that. I try to get the Clarion CPH for 20k Choice US points or the Comfort CPH for 10k Strawberry/Nordic Choice Club points rather than pay the regular paid rates in DKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.