Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Overnight Layover in BLL

Overnight Layover in BLL

Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Im a new user
You seem to have taken the value from the "14-day cumulative number of COVID-19 cases per 100 000" field on the website of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. This is not the correct unit of measurement. Denmark takes all reported infections during the past 14 days and calculates the average weekly rate per 100,000 people. 37.2 is the biweekly rate, so you will have to divide this by two to get approximately the correct value.
oops... you are correct. I did use the wrong numbers. Nonetheless, given that we have been increasing at roughly one point per day, we are only two or three weeks away from joining the banned list if the trend continues and my potential trip is several weeks away.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
Thanks. Presumably no reason why this should not apply to BLL too?
You're correct. You can do a same-day transit even from a banned country in BLL. FYI: arrivals hotline of the Danish police: +45 7020 6044. Called them twice in the past 3 weeks, a very quick and clear answer each time.
NickB and GUWonder like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:05 am

oops... you are correct. I did use the wrong numbers. Nonetheless, given that we have been increasing at roughly one point per day, we are only two or three weeks away from joining the banned list if the trend continues and my potential trip is several weeks away.
The UK passed yesterday's update (scoring 26.4) but is now very close to the limit. Just a small increase in the number of infections would close the border for you. You can enter the country until Friday next week at least.

Also in yesterday's update:
  • The border closes for the Netherlands, Switzerland, Hungary and Austria.
  • The border opens for San Marino.
  • SSI warns people not to travel to certain regions: "North West" in the UK (the area scored 54.1) and "Ida-Viru Maakond" in Estonia (the area scored 127.8).
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The UK passed yesterday's update (scoring 26.4) but is now very close to the limit.
Indeed. We have gone up even quicker than I thought. We are, in fact, already above 30 as of today (61.8 over the last two weeks so 30.9/week). We had a close shave this week but it seems certain that we will be on the banned list with next week's update.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:34 am

Today's border closures: Ireland (34.1), Iceland (32.7), Slovenia (30.7) and the United Kingdom (36.4).

Denmark recommends against travel to regions in open countries if the region has a rate exceeding 50. Currently this is the case with Blagoevgrad (98.4) in Bulgaria, Ida-Viru Maakond (266.2) and Võru Maakond (56.0) in Estonia, Provincia Autonomia Di Trento (70.4) and Liguria (58.6) in Italy, Vestland (56.5) in Norway and Bratislavsky (78.8) in Slovakia.

If a Nordic country is closed, then Denmark still allows entry to people living in safe regions in that country. When Sweden was closed in June and July, there was a separate list with open and closed Swedish counties. Iceland was closed today, but I can't find a list with open and closed Icelandic regions.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Today's border closures: Ireland (34.1), Iceland (32.7), Slovenia (30.7) and the United Kingdom (36.4).

Denmark recommends against travel to regions in open countries if the region has a rate exceeding 50. Currently this is the case with Blagoevgrad (98.4) in Bulgaria, Ida-Viru Maakond (266.2) and Võru Maakond (56.0) in Estonia, Provincia Autonomia Di Trento (70.4) and Liguria (58.6) in Italy, Vestland (56.5) in Norway and Bratislavsky (78.8) in Slovakia.

If a Nordic country is closed, then Denmark still allows entry to people living in safe regions in that country. When Sweden was closed in June and July, there was a separate list with open and closed Swedish counties. Iceland was closed today, but I can't find a list with open and closed Icelandic regions.
At least Denmark, Norway, Sweden and (IIRC) Finland made a deal so that they do Covid-19-related openings and closings for each other on the basis of the situation in the regions within each of these countries. I don't know if that same deal covered Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Åland, or if it just covered Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden or also all of those legally-special territories within the Nordic nations.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
At least Denmark, Norway, Sweden and (IIRC) Finland made a deal so that they do Covid-19-related openings and closings for each other on the basis of the situation in the regions within each of these countries.
I know that Norway also opens and closes specific regions.

Currently open:
  • Denmark: Greenland only. If using public transport, then you can't transit through the rest of Denmark, so you have to travel by private jet or something to avoid quarantine in Norway.
  • Finland: Everything except Southern Savonia.
  • Sweden: 8 out of 21 counties (Blekinge, Gotland, Kalmar, Norrbotten, Södermanland, Värmland, Västerbotten, Västernorrland).

Finland doesn't seem to open or close for specific regions. All of Norway and Sweden is currently open, and everything closes on Monday, except that people living in the vicinity of the land border can cross the border close to where they live. Finland seems to look at the country you are arriving from, and this makes it harder to open certain regions. To my knowledge, it's only possible to enter Finland from four Swedish regions (land border: Norrbotten; ferries: Stockholm and Västerbotten; flights: Stockholm/ARN and Västra Götaland/GOT), two Norwegian regions (land border: Troms og Finnmark; flights: Viken/OSL) and one Danish region (flights: Hovedstaden/CPH). It is therefore useless to open and close other regions apart from those seven as everyone else would transit through one of those.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
I know that Norway also opens and closes specific regions.

Currently open:
  • Denmark: Greenland only. If using public transport, then you can't transit through the rest of Denmark, so you have to travel by private jet or something to avoid quarantine in Norway.
  • Finland: Everything except Southern Savonia.
  • Sweden: 8 out of 21 counties (Blekinge, Gotland, Kalmar, Norrbotten, Södermanland, Värmland, Västerbotten, Västernorrland).

Finland doesn't seem to open or close for specific regions. All of Norway and Sweden is currently open, and everything closes on Monday, except that people living in the vicinity of the land border can cross the border close to where they live. Finland seems to look at the country you are arriving from, and this makes it harder to open certain regions. To my knowledge, it's only possible to enter Finland from four Swedish regions (land border: Norrbotten; ferries: Stockholm and Västerbotten; flights: Stockholm/ARN and Västra Götaland/GOT), two Norwegian regions (land border: Troms og Finnmark; flights: Viken/OSL) and one Danish region (flights: Hovedstaden/CPH). It is therefore useless to open and close other regions apart from those seven as everyone else would transit through one of those.
Thanks a lot for the frequent updates!
Not many countries in yellow left but hoping that the reverse trend will start soon.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:53 am

Today, Denmark decided to close the border for residents of San Marino (34.8) and Slovakia (34.5), effective from Saturday. The border didn't open for any countries.

The border remains open for residents of Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Norway, Poland and Sweden.

As usual, Denmark advises against travel to regions in open countries which score higher than 50. Ida-Viru Maakond (272.5) in Estonia remains on that list and Voreio Aigaio (86.6) in Greece has been added.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today, Denmark decided to close the border for residents of San Marino (34.8) and Slovakia (34.5), effective from Saturday. The border didn't open for any countries.

The border remains open for residents of Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Norway, Poland and Sweden.

As usual, Denmark advises against travel to regions in open countries which score higher than 50. Ida-Viru Maakond (272.5) in Estonia remains on that list and Voreio Aigaio (86.6) in Greece has been added.
THanks for the weekly updates.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update in connecting in BLL: I flew in last weekend on KLM. There was a passport spot check on exiting the aircraft, with a bank of approx 6 officers with ad hoc desks set up. I was asked to show my BP for the flight departing from BLL but It all proceeded very smoothly and fast and I was back upstairs in the departure area in less than 5 minutes. I was however among the very first off the aircraft. I suspect that those sitting at the very back of the aircraft would have had more of a wait but, all in all, with the number of staff deployed for a single E90 aircraft, I would have thought that this should have been reasonably swift.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:50 am

Today, Denmark decided to close the border for residents of San Marino (34.8)
And now reopened again (13.0). It seems that there was a data error: 23 cases were later reduced to 4 cases. I think that the criteria don't work well with microstates as just one single case increases the infection ratio a lot.

The border closed for Sweden (32.4) at national level, which means that Denmark evaluates Sweden at county level. The border is closed for residents of the following counties: Blekinge län (43.2), Hallands län (45.3), Jämtlands län (46.8), Kronobergs län (39.5), Stockholms län (46.5), Uppsala län (55.2), Västmanlands län (59.2) and Örebro län (42.6).

Denmark warns about the following regions in open countries: Pomeranian (50.7) in Poland, Blagoevgrad (53.4) in Bulgaria, Šiaulių Apskritis (59.8) in Lithuania, Voreio Aigaio (67.8) in Greece and Ida-Viru Maakond (358.4) in Estonia.

Denmark closes the border if a country reaches 30, but Denmark itself is above 50, so I don't think that the criteria make sense right now.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Denmark closes the border if a country reaches 30, but Denmark itself is above 50, so I don't think that the criteria make sense right now.
Not that I really suspect so, but the thought did occur that maybe some inspiration was picked up from the U.S.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
An update in connecting in BLL: I flew in last weekend on KLM. There was a passport spot check on exiting the aircraft, with a bank of approx 6 officers with ad hoc desks set up. I was asked to show my BP for the flight departing from BLL but It all proceeded very smoothly and fast and I was back upstairs in the departure area in less than 5 minutes. I was however among the very first off the aircraft. I suspect that those sitting at the very back of the aircraft would have had more of a wait but, all in all, with the number of staff deployed for a single E90 aircraft, I would have thought that this should have been reasonably swift.
Just curious, but did you get a sense of what proportion of the passengers on board were Danish? Danish border control dealing with Danish passport users would generally work far faster and smoother than for those with passports from countries that are zoned in part or whole as "closed" by Denmark but may still be admissible on some basis.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 9, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just curious, but did you get a sense of what proportion of the passengers on board were Danish? Danish border control dealing with Danish passport users would generally work far faster and smoother than for those with passports from countries that are zoned in part or whole as "closed" by Denmark but may still be admissible on some basis.
No idea only (I was at the front) although my expectation would be that it would be predominantly Danes or Danish residents. My own experience with a passport from a "banned" EU country is that the officer looked at it only very briefly and my onward BP and let me go straight away but, yes, I would expect it to be somewhat slower if your destination was Denmark and had to show relevant documentation to establish your entitlement to enter the country but, still, the number of officers for a single smallish aircraft should have been enough to avoid a lengthy wait even with a good proportion of non-Danes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.