FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   Overnight Layover in BLL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/2021908-overnight-layover-bll.html)

offvoice Jul 19, 2020 11:50 pm

Overnight Layover in BLL

I have a flight in early September, landing in BLL at 10pm, leaving at 6am the following morning.

My understanding is that DK authorities require a minimum of 6 nights stay in Denmark to be allowed entry (at time of writing). They however also allow transit “without undue delay” (from the English version of the website).

Is there any additional source (perhaps in Danish) that would define “undue delays”? I would like to know if this kind of overnight stay would qualify as transit with undue delay, considering I will be able to present proof of my onward journey the very next morning? (< 12 hours layover)

Thank you!

offvoice Jul 20, 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 32544338)
I have a flight in early September, landing in BLL at 10pm, leaving at 6am the following morning.

My understanding is that DK authorities require a minimum of 6 nights stay in Denmark to be allowed entry (at time of writing). They however also allow transit “without undue delay” (from the English version of the website).

Is there any additional source (perhaps in Danish) that would define “undue delays”? I would like to know if this kind of overnight stay would qualify as transit with undue delay, considering I will be able to present proof of my onward journey the very next morning? (< 12 hours layover)

Thank you!

Replying to my own question in case anyone is wondering. I called the DK police hotline today (so information valid at the time of posting): it's currently not possible to enter by air even with proof of an onward journey and stay overnight (it can be done the same day though). The only option would be to stay airside in the airport.

:D! Jul 28, 2020 5:40 am

Is it possible to stay airside overnight in BLL? I've done it at CPH where there are reasonably comfortable chairs to lie down on and sleep

offvoice Jul 28, 2020 5:43 am

Yes it is possible (as in the airport remains opened). Though that would not be something to look forward to based on the informations I was able to gather from specialized websites.

GUWonder Jul 28, 2020 9:00 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 32564000)
Is it possible to stay airside overnight in BLL? I've done it at CPH where there are reasonably comfortable chairs to lie down on and sleep

So close — and very walkable — to Legoland, yet so far away if stuck airside. :D

Can’t imagine BLL being anywhere as comfortable for sleeping in overnight as CPH.

vanillabean Jul 28, 2020 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 32564394)
So close — and very walkable — to Legoland, yet so far away if stuck airside. :D

Can’t imagine BLL being anywhere as comfortable for sleeping in overnight as CPH.

I once spent a night (not a fortune) at the Zleep Hotel (with my wife), whose modern-day style was fun for a short stay. But yes, nothing like Hotel D'Angleterre. :)

GUWonder Jul 29, 2020 8:25 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 32565627)
I once spent a night (not a fortune) at the Zleep Hotel (with my wife), whose modern-day style was fun for a short stay. But yes, nothing like Hotel D'Angleterre. :)

I was referring to sleeping in CPH airport itself. One night of “sleeping” at CPH airport was basically free for me .... as in free of sleep. :D. But it’s maybe better now for sleeping than it was 15+ years ago.

D’Angleterre is better now too, but it’s not convenient for BLL. :D

flying_blue_white_red Aug 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 32544338)

Thank you!

What will you do?

I have another question also:

Does anyone know if the border police (or immigration) check departing passengers, past check-in in Billund or other Danish airports?

A forthcoming trip to DK (3nights) was booked before the Covid but does not qualify for entry anymore.
I'm considering buying the 3 missing night stay (to make it 6 altogether as a valid proof), but not intend to use them and leaving as initially expected after 3 days thus my question to know if they (or gate agent) verify how long we effectively spent inside the country.
What can be the risks?

offvoice Aug 13, 2020 11:27 pm

Looks like an overnight airside stay will happen (or the trip will be postponed altogether) - unless restrictions are lifted in the coming days for additional countries.

It seems hard to enforce the 6 days rule on exit, plus I do not think there are any legal ground to enforce a fine or anything like this: if you “intended” to stay for 6 days but had to leaver earlier, I don’t think you’ll run into any issue, hence your suggestion might make sense. I found the police hotline to be easily available, and in English, very helpful if you have any doubt (you can always ask them “what’s the risk?”)

GUWonder Aug 13, 2020 11:55 pm

On exiting Schengen from CPH airport at least, Danish passport control don’t seem to be generally checking/enforcing for 6-night stay compliance for those to whom it may be technically applicable in policy. They seem to just assume that if you were in Denmark you were eligible for an exemption of sort to the coronavirus-related border control.

flying_blue_white_red Aug 15, 2020 2:22 am

Thanks both of you :)

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 32603166)
Looks like an overnight airside stay will happen (or the trip will be postponed altogether) - unless restrictions are lifted in the coming days for additional countries.

It seems hard to enforce the 6 days rule on exit, plus I do not think there are any legal ground to enforce a fine or anything like this: if you “intended” to stay for 6 days but had to leaver earlier, I don’t think you’ll run into any issue, hence your suggestion might make sense. I found the police hotline to be easily available, and in English, very helpful if you have any doubt (you can always ask them “what’s the risk?”)

Indeed, the lady on the phone confirmed that there is no (Police) control upon leaving Denmark, only when entering.
She also said the proof must be a print out, not on the phone.

Since yesterday, Belgium and Spain are now in orange for Denmark, not sure what will happen in September but as you mentioned, postponing the trip might be the better option.

Or even a very stupid idea for a quick turn around: don't show these proofs upon arriving so you'll be sent immediately back to the plane :D :D :D .

offvoice Aug 15, 2020 3:12 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red (Post 32605483)
Thanks both of you :)

Indeed, the lady on the phone confirmed that there is no (Police) control upon leaving Denmark, only when entering.
She also said the proof must be a print out, not on the phone.

Since yesterday, Belgium and Spain are now in orange for Denmark, not sure what will happen in September but as you mentioned, postponing the trip might be the better option.

Or even a very stupid idea for a quick turn around: don't show these proofs upon arriving so you'll be sent immediately back to the plane :D :D :D .

from some sources like this one: https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2020-08-1...nmarksturister

It seems Denmark just scrapped the 6 nights stay rule as of yesterday. I would obviously wait until clear confirmation/update from an Official Danish source, but might look like the probability of those trips altogether is increasing :D

flying_blue_white_red Aug 15, 2020 3:26 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 32605533)
from some sources like this one: https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2020-08-1...nmarksturister

It seems Denmark just scrapped the 6 nights stay rule as of yesterday. I would obviously wait until clear confirmation/update from an Official Danish source, but might look like the probability of those trips altogether is increasing :D

If true, yes it looks like a very good news.
I did only translate the readable part without log in - does it concern all Denmark or only Copenhagen?

offvoice Aug 15, 2020 3:27 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red (Post 32605541)
If true, yes it looks like a very good news.
I did only translate the readable part without log in - does it concern all Denmark or only Copenhagen?

If confirmed, it would be a countrywide update of the rule.

flying_blue_white_red Aug 15, 2020 3:44 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 32605543)
If confirmed, it would be a countrywide update of the rule.

Let's pray for the official annoucement asap but let's pray also that the list of EU open countries remains the same for early September. France is right between Belgium and Spain...