Search

Helsinki day tours in October?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Helsinki day tours in October?

I know this isn’t the best time of year to visit and tour Helsinki, but I have a 13-hour layover on Wednesday and was hoping to see at least some of Helsinki, since it will be my first time there. Can anyone recommend a day tour or hop-on, hop-off tour that’s still operating in mid-October? If so, where are the best places to begin that are close to the train from the airport? Thanks very much.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Helsinki is very walkable and all the museums and galleries are close by. I did what your doing several years ago but just got a taxi in to maximise time and got dropped to the design museum which is close to everything. It wasn’t too cold and I’m from Australia
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
Helsinki is very walkable and all the museums and galleries are close by. I did what your doing several years ago but just got a taxi in to maximise time and got dropped to the design museum which is close to everything. It wasn’t too cold and I’m from Australia
Excellent; thanks. Maybe I'll download a map and do that instead of look for a bus.

That said, if anyone knows of day tours, please post, in case it's raining, too cold to walk around, etc. Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:47 pm

Buy a one day transit pass covering regions A B and C for 12 Euros before you get on the train from the airport to downtown Helsinki This will cover you trip into Helsinki and return plus rides on any tram or bus in Helsinki. You can hop on and hop of any tram when you see something you want to check out. Look on a map and figure out what you would like to see. Almost everything is covered by the tram system.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SometimeTraveler
Buy a one day transit pass covering regions A B and C for 12 Euros before you get on the train from the airport to downtown Helsinki This will cover you trip into Helsinki and return plus rides on any tram or bus in Helsinki. You can hop on and hop of any tram when you see something you want to check out. Look on a map and figure out what you would like to see. Almost everything is covered by the tram system.
Awesome. Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by SometimeTraveler
The same day ticket covers also metro trains and Suomenlinna ferry. The sea fortress Suomenlinna is an UNESCO world heritage site and can be interesting place to visit, although one should allow sufficient time for that: the ferry ride alone takes something like 15 minutes one way and I think this time of year the interval between ferries is 30-45 minutes. Of course, if the weather is rainy and windy then it might not be that enjoyable place and much of its charm is in the open air areas.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hezu
The same day ticket covers also metro trains and Suomenlinna ferry. The sea fortress Suomenlinna is an UNESCO world heritage site and can be interesting place to visit, although one should allow sufficient time for that: the ferry ride alone takes something like 15 minutes one way and I think this time of year the interval between ferries is 30-45 minutes. Of course, if the weather is rainy and windy then it might not be that enjoyable place and much of its charm is in the open air areas.
Thanks very much. Suomenlinna looks nice; maybe I’ll get lucky with the weather.

As far as Helsinki, if it’s too cold to walk around much to visit places, how long does a loop or two around the city take by tram, bus, etc., if I just want to see the sights without visiting them? Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
should be some ideas in the specific nordic board

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Indeed - so let's embrace our inner Salmiak and head over to the Nordics.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Thanks very much. Suomenlinna looks nice; maybe I’ll get lucky with the weather.

As far as Helsinki, if it’s too cold to walk around much to visit places, how long does a loop or two around the city take by tram, bus, etc., if I just want to see the sights without visiting them? Thanks.
It won't get that cold yet in October, and like others have already said the city is very walkable. From recollection there are some of the hop-on/hop-off type buses roaming the streets, but you'd probably waste more time waiting for them to turn up than if you just wandered around. Pick a few things you want to see and connect the dots on foot (or boat if you want to see the fort).
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
My tip is to leave a little extra time to take the train back to the airport, as they can be at times very unreliable.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
My tip is to leave a little extra time to take the train back to the airport, as they can be at times very unreliable.
Thanks. My flight is at around midnight and I plan to leave the city by around 7 pm. Hopefully that leaves plenty of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.